Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Already feeling the cold.... naughty boiler

Have a Worcester-bosh greenstar ri boiler. Its been turned off for a few
days and now its expected to come on again, it decides only to fire up for
half a minute at a time every four or five minutes.

Rolling up my sleeves for a bit of D-i-y I confidently get out the
instruction manuel, and the ego takes a knock as i realise just how much out
of my depth I am.

It's in north london and although cold its not been freezing. Is there any
simple things that i could try doing?

If I call out an expert is it worth paying a lot extra for the Bosh man to
come out? Or is it something my local gas qualified chap could reasonable
take on? Grateful for advice please, we are already feeling the cold.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"r brooks" wrote:
Have a Worcester-bosh greenstar ri boiler. Its been turned off for a few
days and now its expected to come on again, it decides only to fire up for
half a minute at a time every four or five minutes.

Rolling up my sleeves for a bit of D-i-y I confidently get out the
instruction manuel, and the ego takes a knock as i realise just how much out
of my depth I am.

It's in north london and although cold its not been freezing. Is there any
simple things that i could try doing?

If I call out an expert is it worth paying a lot extra for the Bosh man to
come out? Or is it something my local gas qualified chap could reasonable
take on? Grateful for advice please, we are already feeling the cold.

Check and see if the pump is running. If it's failed, the boiler will quick
cut out due to overheating. Just a thought.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2013 22:36, r brooks wrote:

Rolling up my sleeves for a bit of D-i-y I confidently get out the
instruction manuel,

Is that the one written by Basil Fawlty?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2013 23:06, Brian Gaff wrote:
Give pump smart bang with block of hardwood. Works every time for my
neighbour.
Brian

Your neighbour likes a smart bang?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2013 23:14, Roger Mills wrote:
On 11/11/2013 22:36, r brooks wrote:

Rolling up my sleeves for a bit of D-i-y I confidently get out the
instruction manuel,

Is that the one written by Basil Fawlty?

If someone has to take a day off work, get the WB engineer. At least
they carry all the parts,
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Brian Gaff
scribeth thus
Give pump smart bang with block of hardwood. Works every time for my
neighbour.
Brian

On some, most pumps, theres a large screw, sort of, at the end undo
that and check if its turning or try moving it with your screwdriver you
might find some water coming out this is normal...

FWIW is the hot water working at all?.

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tony sayer writes:
In article , Brian Gaff
scribeth thus
Give pump smart bang with block of hardwood. Works every time for my
neighbour.
Brian

On some, most pumps, theres a large screw, sort of, at the end undo
that and check if its turning or try moving it with your screwdriver you
might find some water coming out this is normal...

but make sure it won't drip onto the control boards or worse...

FWIW is the hot water working at all?.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andrew Gabriel
scribeth thus
In article ,
tony sayer writes:
In article , Brian Gaff
scribeth thus
Give pump smart bang with block of hardwood. Works every time for my
neighbour.
Brian

On some, most pumps, theres a large screw, sort of, at the end undo
that and check if its turning or try moving it with your screwdriver you
might find some water coming out this is normal...

but make sure it won't drip onto the control boards or worse...

Well the chances of that aligning seem quite remote!..

Least in the five installations I am responsible for!..

FWIW is the hot water working at all?.

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 01:18:32 +0000, bm wrote:

On 11/11/2013 23:06, Brian Gaff wrote:
Give pump smart bang with block of hardwood. Works every time for my
neighbour.
Brian

Your neighbour likes a smart bang?

There's an ap for that.
Peter.
The gods will stay away
whilst religions hold sway
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/2013 09:33, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
tony sayer writes:
In article , Brian Gaff
scribeth thus
Give pump smart bang with block of hardwood. Works every time for my
neighbour.
Brian

On some, most pumps, theres a large screw, sort of, at the end undo
that and check if its turning or try moving it with your screwdriver you
might find some water coming out this is normal...

but make sure it won't drip onto the control boards or worse...

FWIW is the hot water working at all?.

Got a feeling the Ri is a heating only boiler rather than a combi or
system...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 11/11/13 22:36, r brooks wrote:
Have a Worcester-bosh greenstar ri boiler. Its been turned off for a few
days and now its expected to come on again, it decides only to fire up for
half a minute at a time every four or five minutes.

If I call out an expert is it worth paying a lot extra for the Bosh man to
come out? Or is it something my local gas qualified chap could reasonable
take on? Grateful for advice please, we are already feeling the cold.

Worcester_Bosch do a very good service for a fixed fee of £250 inc VAT
which includes all parts. I used it when the hot water stopped working
in the summer. They will try to sell you the monthly direct-debit
maintenance contract which (on the face of it) is not that much more
expensive. Personally I prefer to take my chance that on average I will
not be calling them out every year.

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 12/11/2013 09:33, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
tony sayer writes:
In article , Brian Gaff
scribeth thus
Give pump smart bang with block of hardwood. Works every time for my
neighbour.
Brian

On some, most pumps, theres a large screw, sort of, at the end undo
that and check if its turning or try moving it with your screwdriver you
might find some water coming out this is normal...

but make sure it won't drip onto the control boards or worse...

FWIW is the hot water working at all?.

Got a feeling the Ri is a heating only boiler rather than a combi or
system...

You are correct John. I've just fitted a Greenstar 24Ri

It will shut down on over heat in the heat exchanger or over pressure in
the flue or flue over heat.

Each sensor is a normally closed switch and all three are wired in
series to the control board. Simple meter test will show which one is
causing the shut down and point to the cause.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/2013 20:05, djc wrote:
[...]

IIRC they replace "up to" 3 parts. In my case that meant they replaced
the faulty part plus the two most likely to fail next.
As I said, the main advantage is you know it'll be up and running within
the hour. Outfits like Homeserve and British Gas can string it out for a
week while they order parts etc. Not ideal in the winter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"stuart noble" wrote in message
On 12/11/2013 20:05, djc wrote:
[...]

The pump seemed to be spinning (screwdriver used as a sounding rod) but i
gave it a few taps as advised anyway. So then just left the boiler to get
on with its stopping and starting routine.

Told the wife in the kitchen that i had posted to uk. d-i-y and i think the
boiler must have overheard. It probably feared it might get a visit from
one of the hairy minders on this group, since this morning it worked
perfectly. Life's not easy.................

Thanks to all.