Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ring ring

Got a call just now (yes 7.05am) on my landline from an SMS-voice
service announcing that a carrier was delivering something[1] later in
the day. Good job I was already awake! I suppose they assume that all of
the numbers people put into online orders are mobiles.

[1] The under-the-counter lights I was asking about a week or two ago.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2013 07:12, Roland Perry wrote:
Got a call just now (yes 7.05am) on my landline from an SMS-voice
service announcing that a carrier was delivering something[1] later in
the day. Good job I was already awake! I suppose they assume that all of
the numbers people put into online orders are mobiles.

[1] The under-the-counter lights I was asking about a week or two ago.

If I get one of these text-to-speech messages by way of the land line
the answerphone always answers the phone. Most of the incoming message
is lost because it is still transmitted while the outgoing message is
being played.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roland Perry" wrote in message ...

Got a call just now (yes 7.05am) on my landline from an SMS-voice service
announcing that a carrier was delivering something[1] later in the day.
Good job I was already awake! I suppose they assume that all of the numbers
people put into online orders are mobiles.

[1] The under-the-counter lights I was asking about a week or two ago.

But presumably you were awake at 7.05 ? Nice and light and lots to do why
would you not be ?

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 08:32:56 on
Mon, 11 Nov 2013, Andrew Mawson
remarked:
But presumably you were awake at 7.05 ? Nice and light and lots to do
why would you not be ?

It's usually regarded as rude to make business calls to people before
9am, nor would anyone outside my immediate family call before 8am.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 07:12:51 +0000, Roland Perry wrote:

Got a call just now (yes 7.05am) on my landline from an SMS-voice
service announcing that a carrier was delivering something[1] later in
the day. Good job I was already awake! I suppose they assume that all of
the numbers people put into online orders are mobiles.

[1] The under-the-counter lights I was asking about a week or two ago.

You're lucky! I had just woken up early one morning a few weeks ago when the
doorbell sounded. After a few secons of 'wtf is that?' I put on a bit of
clothing and went to the door.
My nice new TV had arrived, no warning of any sort. 06:23h!
The delivery chaps were somewhat surprised by my thanks and attitude of
'great - rest of day free'. Apparently they have developed thick skins.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just got another - my item will be delivered by paarr sale force within
the next 90 minutes. Good news - that driver knows my doorbell works.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 08:58:51
on Mon, 11 Nov 2013, PeterC remarked:
You're lucky! I had just woken up early one morning a few weeks ago when the
doorbell sounded. After a few secons of 'wtf is that?' I put on a bit of
clothing and went to the door.
My nice new TV had arrived, no warning of any sort. 06:23h!

I used to get Special Delivery like clockwork at 7.30am, because I lived
on a main road and they found it easier to park at that hour. But at
least I would know who it was going to be.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2013 08:32, Andrew Mawson wrote:
"Roland Perry" wrote in message ...

Got a call just now (yes 7.05am) on my landline from an SMS-voice
service announcing that a carrier was delivering something[1] later in
the day. Good job I was already awake! I suppose they assume that all
of the numbers people put into online orders are mobiles.

[1] The under-the-counter lights I was asking about a week or two ago.

But presumably you were awake at 7.05 ? Nice and light and lots to do
why would you not be ?

If I wake up that early, I turn over and go back to sleep. My prompt for
getting up is the radio coming on at 8:30.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:
But presumably you were awake at 7.05 ? Nice and light and lots to do why
would you not be ?

Not round here. It was still dark at 8:30.

JGH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan wrote:
On 11/11/2013 07:12, Roland Perry wrote:
Got a call just now (yes 7.05am) on my landline from an SMS-voice
service announcing that a carrier was delivering something[1] later in
the day. Good job I was already awake! I suppose they assume that all of
the numbers people put into online orders are mobiles.

[1] The under-the-counter lights I was asking about a week or two ago.

If I get one of these text-to-speech messages by way of the land line the
answerphone always answers the phone. Most of the incoming message is
lost because it is still transmitted while the outgoing message is being played.

I used to get these from friends selecting the wrong number from their
phone contacts list. The simple answer for most folk is to block them.

http://www.office-answers.com/virtua...ge-disable.htm

Folk who mistakenly try to text your land line get a message saying that
that number doesn't accept text messages which alerts them to their error.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message

nal-september.org, at 10:59:24 on Mon, 11 Nov 2013, Tim+
remarked:

I used to get these from friends selecting the wrong number from their
phone contacts list. The simple answer for most folk is to block them.

http://www.office-answers.com/virtua...ge-disable.htm

My telco isn't BT, and until today I didn't even know they also had a
text-to-speech facility.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roland Perry" wrote in message ...

In message , at 08:32:56 on
Mon, 11 Nov 2013, Andrew Mawson
remarked:
But presumably you were awake at 7.05 ? Nice and light and lots to do
why would you not be ?

It's usually regarded as rude to make business calls to people before
9am, nor would anyone outside my immediate family call before 8am.

You've obviously led a sheltered urban life

AWEM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-11-11, Nightjar wrote:
On 11/11/2013 08:32, Andrew Mawson wrote:
"Roland Perry" wrote in message ...

Got a call just now (yes 7.05am) on my landline from an SMS-voice
service announcing that a carrier was delivering something[1] later in
the day. Good job I was already awake! I suppose they assume that all
of the numbers people put into online orders are mobiles.

[1] The under-the-counter lights I was asking about a week or two ago.

But presumably you were awake at 7.05 ? Nice and light and lots to do
why would you not be ?

If I wake up that early, I turn over and go back to sleep. My prompt for
getting up is the radio coming on at 8:30.

8:30? You're retired, aren't you? I have no intention of getting up before
about 10:00 once I retire, in a year or two's time. I've been getting
up early for over 40 years and that's quite enough.

It always used to be 06:45 for me when I was working, unless I was on 24
hour call and it could be literally any time. Now I'm retired I have far too
much to do hanging about - this time of year I'm normally awake (but not up)
by 5:30 and the pigs get fed and mucked out by 7:30 so back for breakfast.
Usually first delivery isn't until 8am but I've had them recently at 12:30
in the night (road planings straight off the road hence the time)

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 08:32:56 -0000, Andrew Mawson wrote:

But presumably you were awake at 7.05 ? Nice and light and lots to do
why would you not be ?

I'm up but awake is doubtful. Still dark at 0705, hate full time of
year from now through to end of February.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, November 11, 2013 7:12:51 AM UTC, Roland Perry wrote:

The Royal Mail doesn't knock before 8:00 am on a Saturday.
I know that because a postperson stuck a "we called while you were out" card through my letter box at about 07:45, leapt back in the van and did a Le Mans start out of the road.
I'd thought it was just mail and by the time I'd walked down a flight of stairs to pick it up, Postman Patricia was long gone.
She must have wanted to knock off early. ****.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-11-11, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 08:32:56 -0000, Andrew Mawson wrote:

But presumably you were awake at 7.05 ? Nice and light and lots to do
why would you not be ?

I'm up but awake is doubtful. Still dark at 0705, hate full time of
year from now through to end of February.

^ This!

I so wish that we'd shift the clocks 3-4 hours in winter - Mornings are
****e anyway, I do not care if it is dark until noon.

What I would like is to be able to get hom eand have a couple of hours of
daylight!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
Got a call just now (yes 7.05am) on my landline from an SMS-voice service
announcing that a carrier was delivering something[1] later in the day.
Good job I was already awake! I suppose they assume that all of the
numbers people put into online orders are mobiles.

[1] The under-the-counter lights I was asking about a week or two ago.

And what did you buy? I left the wholesaler looking for white cabinet lights
and he could only find the ones I linked to and a similar priced set from
Aurora lighting?

--
Adam

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 18:33:23 on Mon, 11 Nov
2013, ARW remarked:
[1] The under-the-counter lights I was asking about a week or two ago.

And what did you buy? I left the wholesaler looking for white cabinet
lights and he could only find the ones I linked to and a similar priced
set from Aurora lighting?

I ended up buying 12v chrome ones, as the white are so difficult to
find.
--
Roland Perry

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 18:33:23 on Mon, 11 Nov
2013, ARW remarked:
[1] The under-the-counter lights I was asking about a week or two ago.

And what did you buy? I left the wholesaler looking for white cabinet
lights and he could only find the ones I linked to and a similar priced
set from Aurora lighting?

I ended up buying 12v chrome ones, as the white are so difficult to find.

I know:-) And if Andy at my local wholesalers and I cannot find them, then
they do not exist.

--
Adam

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 19:41:34 on Mon, 11 Nov
2013, ARW remarked:
I ended up buying 12v chrome ones, as the white are so difficult to find.

I know:-) And if Andy at my local wholesalers and I cannot find them,
then they do not exist.

I could spray-paint the enclosures, but not the LED-equipped inserts.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 2013-11-11, Nightjar wrote:
On 11/11/2013 08:32, Andrew Mawson wrote:
"Roland Perry" wrote in message ...

Got a call just now (yes 7.05am) on my landline from an SMS-voice
service announcing that a carrier was delivering something[1] later in
the day. Good job I was already awake! I suppose they assume that all
of the numbers people put into online orders are mobiles.

[1] The under-the-counter lights I was asking about a week or two ago.

But presumably you were awake at 7.05 ? Nice and light and lots to do
why would you not be ?

If I wake up that early, I turn over and go back to sleep. My prompt for
getting up is the radio coming on at 8:30.

8:30? You're retired, aren't you? I have no intention of getting up
before
about 10:00 once I retire, in a year or two's time. I've been getting
up early for over 40 years and that's quite enough.

My cat tells me what time to wake up.

--
Adam

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"PeterC" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 07:12:51 +0000, Roland Perry wrote:

Got a call just now (yes 7.05am) on my landline from an SMS-voice
service announcing that a carrier was delivering something[1] later in
the day. Good job I was already awake! I suppose they assume that all of
the numbers people put into online orders are mobiles.

[1] The under-the-counter lights I was asking about a week or two ago.

You're lucky! I had just woken up early one morning a few weeks ago when
the
doorbell sounded. After a few secons of 'wtf is that?'

I put on a bit of clothing and went to the door.

You mean "the wife's dressing gown" and you hoped that no neighbours would
see you answer the door:-)?

--
Adam

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-11-11, Nightjar wrote:
On 11/11/2013 08:32, Andrew Mawson wrote:
"Roland Perry" wrote in message ...

Got a call just now (yes 7.05am) on my landline from an SMS-voice
service announcing that a carrier was delivering something[1] later in
the day. Good job I was already awake! I suppose they assume that all
of the numbers people put into online orders are mobiles.

[1] The under-the-counter lights I was asking about a week or two ago.

But presumably you were awake at 7.05 ? Nice and light and lots to do
why would you not be ?

If I wake up that early, I turn over and go back to sleep. My prompt for
getting up is the radio coming on at 8:30.

8:30? You're retired, aren't you? I have no intention of getting up before
about 10:00 once I retire, in a year or two's time. I've been getting
up early for over 40 years and that's quite enough.

Semi-retired. I still run one very part-time business, which gives a bit
of structure to the week but needs me to be available on the phone from
about 9:00 am four days a week. Not that I would be able to sleep much
longer than eight hours a night anyway.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2013 20:22, ARW wrote:
My cat tells me what time to wake up.

I keep the bedroom door shut, so mine can't. Otherwise it tends to be
around dawn, whatever the time of year.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-11-11, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 08:32:56 -0000, Andrew Mawson wrote:

But presumably you were awake at 7.05 ? Nice and light and lots to do
why would you not be ?

I'm up but awake is doubtful. Still dark at 0705, hate full time of
year from now through to end of February.

^ This!

I so wish that we'd shift the clocks 3-4 hours in winter - Mornings are
****e anyway, I do not care if it is dark until noon.

What I would like is to be able to get hom eand have a couple of hours of
daylight!

Yes, me too. Usually the response to such suggestions is, well you don't
have to stick to the clock, but unfortunately those with kids, SOs,
working in most offices, factories, etc. are stuck with the clock. Even
those that aren't generally can't do it, 'cos all their friends',
families', etc. lives are geared to the clock and they'd have no social
life.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2013 08:32, Andrew Mawson wrote:
"Roland Perry" wrote in message ...

Got a call just now (yes 7.05am) on my landline from an SMS-voice
service announcing that a carrier was delivering something[1] later in
the day. Good job I was already awake! I suppose they assume that all
of the numbers people put into online orders are mobiles.

[1] The under-the-counter lights I was asking about a week or two ago.

But presumably you were awake at 7.05 ? Nice and light and lots to do
why would you not be ?

AWEM

Are you trying to tell 7:05 happens twice in the same day?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 11/11/2013 20:22, ARW wrote:
My cat tells me what time to wake up.

I keep the bedroom door shut, so mine can't. Otherwise it tends to be
around dawn, whatever the time of year.

And if I did that there would be no landing carpet left.

I have no problem getting up Dawn early in a morning.
--
Adam

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I have no problem getting up Dawn early in a morning.

Is Dawn equally amenable to going down at night?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roland Perry wrote:
Got a call just now (yes 7.05am)

A friend of mine who is very deaf has a bright light that flashes if the
phone rings. He tells me that if it flashes between 11pm and 8am he
lifts the receiver and makes no attempt to listen. He merely intones,
'**** off!' and replaces the receiver.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:

It always used to be 06:45 for me when I was working, unless I was on 24
hour call and it could be literally any time. Now I'm retired I have far
too much to do hanging about - this time of year I'm normally awake (but
not up) by 5:30 and the pigs get fed and mucked out by 7:30

That's no way to refer to visiting grandchildren.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

You mean "the wife's dressing gown" and you hoped that no neighbours
would see you answer the door:-)?

Some years ago we had a middle-aged female friend who liked to visit
early. Since I was in the habit of working late and rising late I would
often be in bed. She was one of those people who like to take the moral
high ground without any sensible justification (she's a greeny), and
would delight in coming upstairs to bellow at me to get up. I tired of
this, so when I heard her enter the house I managed to work up a pretty
impressive penile erection. When she entered the bedroom she found me on
my back, uncovered, stark naked, legs apart, nice smile. "Hello Pat!
Have you come to give me a hand?"

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Poo9oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooop

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Huge" wrote in message
On 2013-11-11, Nightjar wrote:
[...]

You and your alarming pussy!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 20:48:02 -0000, ARW wrote:

"PeterC" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 07:12:51 +0000, Roland Perry wrote:

Got a call just now (yes 7.05am) on my landline from an SMS-voice
service announcing that a carrier was delivering something[1] later in
the day. Good job I was already awake! I suppose they assume that all of
the numbers people put into online orders are mobiles.

[1] The under-the-counter lights I was asking about a week or two ago.

You're lucky! I had just woken up early one morning a few weeks ago when
the
doorbell sounded. After a few secons of 'wtf is that?'

I put on a bit of clothing and went to the door.

You mean "the wife's dressing gown" and you hoped that no neighbours would
see you answer the door:-)?

No, more sort of Freddie Mercury attire - and the neighbours didn't see me.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Ring Boris Mohar[_3_] Metalworking 0 August 26th 11 09:37 PM
Bo-ring.... The Dougster[_2_] Metalworking 0 October 30th 09 03:27 PM
Adding sockets to ring main/add another ring Bill Payer[_2_] UK diy 33 October 20th 09 09:33 PM
Ring-A-Mop [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 May 22nd 09 02:14 AM
better wax ring? peter Home Repair 14 July 22nd 07 08:48 PM