Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bo-ring....

Hey. (grins)

The scooter's down. She carboned up and ate the piston. I've got the
new piston (0.5 mm over) polished and I'm workin' on a fixture. I
bought a boring head from Grizzly, then thought, the Super Shop lathe
spindle is the mill spindle, so why not faceplate the work and bore
true with the ram?

So, I had this t-slot plate. I was going to cut it square and clamp it
in the four jaw, then mount the jug on it, but four t-nuts cost a bit,
so I got a 6 inch plate of cast iron, and I'm going to bore it that
0.5 mm under through, and face it off with a little lip to center the
jug, then glue the jug on the plate as it's on the lathe with the
reinforced black super glue, the original studs in tapped holes, some
spacers, and the old head nuts.

Why?

It's all about mass. Coupling the 6 inch 3-jaw chuck to the plate to
the jug will provide mass, and also the lathe boring bar is sturdier
than the mill head boring bar. I can take the belt off and roughly
balance it with some pewter bolted on.

So, it's a thick disc with a hole through, a mark for lathe chuck jaw
number 1, and a lip to catch the existing bore. All glued and bolted
up, that lip will disappear on the first or second pass, but it will
be concentric and square. And yes, I'll check it, but it's a good
setup, I think. Even the honing will be supported by that cast iron
plate. Maybe I'll bore it upwards in vertical lathe mode.

Oh, crap, I need another codiene; the root canal is kickin in....he'll
finish it Monday.

We'll know in a week or so. Then it needs porting. The head will get
yellow muffler paint, thrice baked, and the water neck, too.

I think I might enamel the jug at the Clay Cafe. Yellow with the
little glass squiggles that melt in...

Would that ruin the iron? I wouldn't think so.

Cheers,

Douglas (Dana) Goncz
Replikon Research
Seven Corners, VA 22044-0394

Adding sockets to ring main/add another ring Bill Payer[_2_] UK diy 33 October 20th 09 09:33 PM
Ring-A-Mop [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 May 22nd 09 02:14 AM
Wax ring PanHandler[_3_] Home Repair 6 December 18th 08 04:15 AM
Wax ring goes which way? [email protected] Home Repair 2 April 27th 08 04:50 AM
better wax ring? peter Home Repair 14 July 22nd 07 08:48 PM