Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wax ring

I'm going to correct a leaky toilet tomorrow, in my old house. If it looks
like it may need two wax rings, for whatever reason, do I leave the 'funnel'
on the upper one?
TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

"PanHandler" wrote in message
I'm going to correct a leaky toilet tomorrow, in my old house. If it looks
like it may need two wax rings, for whatever reason, do I leave the
'funnel' on the upper one?
TIA

You can buy a wax ring without the "funnel".

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dick Keats" wrote in message

"PanHandler" wrote in message
I'm going to correct a leaky toilet tomorrow, in my old house. If it
looks like it may need two wax rings, for whatever reason, do I leave the
'funnel' on the upper one?
TIA

You can buy a wax ring without the "funnel".

Which means I shouldn't use two 'funnels'?
Thanx for the reply!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"PanHandler" wrote in
:

I'm going to correct a leaky toilet tomorrow, in my old house. If it
looks like it may need two wax rings, for whatever reason, do I leave
the 'funnel' on the upper one?
TIA

As said, just get one with and one without. I had to do it because of tile.

There is also an extra thick one. Maybe you've already explored that
option.

One thought that occured to me was is it possible for some of the wax from
the 2nd ring to be squeezed and partially block the drain??? Might cause
stubborn solids that need a round two flush? It all worked out though...or
should I say all worked down.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don't use 2 wax rings to raise the flange level. Go to Lowe's or HD
and get a flange extender. It's a flange that has a tail pipe
slightly smaller with a couple of O-rings that fits inside the
existing pipe. The new flange sits on top of the old one with some
adjusting screws to raise it to the right level. It should be $10-
$20. I had the same problem when I tiled the floor around a toilet.
I thought I'd have to go under the house, cut out and reposition the
old drain pipe. A wise old guy in our local Lowe's told me about this
device. Good luck.

Steve Tahan

On Dec 17, 7:04*pm, "PanHandler" wrote:
I'm going to correct a leaky toilet tomorrow, in my old house. If it looks
like it may need two wax rings, for whatever reason, do I leave the 'funnel'
on the upper one?
TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 17, 4:57*pm, "PanHandler" wrote:
"Dick Keats" wrote in message

"PanHandler" wrote in message
.. .
I'm going to correct a leaky toilet tomorrow, in my old house. If it
looks like it may need two wax rings, for whatever reason, do I leave the
'funnel' on the upper one?
TIA

You can buy a wax ring without the "funnel".

Which means I shouldn't use two 'funnels'?
Thanx for the reply!

A far, far better solution is to use a 'waxless toilet seal" Fernco
makes one. Check to see if the 'tail' is long enough to fit into the
pipe though. Wax seals are passe, waxless one are the future. Use
just one and you will never even look at a wax type again.

Harry K

Harry K

Wax ring goes which way? [email protected] Home Repair 2 April 27th 08 04:50 AM
Ring question Jerry - OHIO Woodturning 0 November 17th 07 06:41 AM
better wax ring? peter Home Repair 14 July 22nd 07 08:48 PM
Wax ring Jack Home Repair 10 April 7th 07 04:02 AM
which O ring Karl Townsend Metalworking 3 May 20th 05 03:46 AM