Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fitting a gas hob

I've got a basic Zanussi gas hob that I've got to fit in a beech
worktop. It comes with grey strips of what looks like a sort of mastic.
The instructions seem to indicate that the hob should sit on these strips.

Is this right? Seems to me the sharp edges of the hob will just slice
through it, and the the edges will look messy.
--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RJH" wrote in message ...

I've got a basic Zanussi gas hob that I've got to fit in a beech worktop.
It comes with grey strips of what looks like a sort of mastic. The
instructions seem to indicate that the hob should sit on these strips.

Is this right? Seems to me the sharp edges of the hob will just slice
through it, and the the edges will look messy.

On the hobs I've fitted, the mastic strip sits on a horizontal flat on the
inside of the downwards pointing flange. As the mastic is thicker than the
flange it squashes until the flange seats on the work surface, ensuring that
the gap is full of mastic. Excess squigges out and gets trimmed with a
knife.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2013 13:17, Andrew Mawson wrote:
"RJH" wrote in message ...

I've got a basic Zanussi gas hob that I've got to fit in a beech
worktop. It comes with grey strips of what looks like a sort of
mastic. The instructions seem to indicate that the hob should sit on
these strips.

Is this right? Seems to me the sharp edges of the hob will just slice
through it, and the the edges will look messy.

On the hobs I've fitted, the mastic strip sits on a horizontal flat on
the inside of the downwards pointing flange. As the mastic is thicker
than the flange it squashes until the flange seats on the work surface,
ensuring that the gap is full of mastic. Excess squigges out and gets
trimmed with a knife.

AWEM

Ah - thanks!

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, November 9, 2013 11:50:04 AM UTC, RJH wrote:
I've got a basic Zanussi gas hob that I've got to fit in a beech

worktop. It comes with grey strips of what looks like a sort of mastic.

The instructions seem to indicate that the hob should sit on these strips..

Is this right? Seems to me the sharp edges of the hob will just slice

through it, and the the edges will look messy.

--

Cheers, Rob

My hob came with some foam stuff that I forgot to fit. Oh dear. The idea is that the hob should be removable for maintenance but who ever does that? so it should not be siliconed down but you need to seal against leaks somehow. I still haven't got round to putting a touch of silicone around the edge..
Simon.

Bog fitting GMM UK diy 8 October 25th 11 08:38 PM
Fitting a DPM James Varty UK diy 7 January 15th 06 05:30 PM
Retro fitting TRV's - new valve fitting type Tony Collins UK diy 5 November 27th 04 01:12 PM
Fitting a hob Ben Blaukopf UK diy 3 November 22nd 03 10:20 PM
What gas fitting Alan Campbell UK diy 1 July 7th 03 12:00 AM