Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Septic tank lid/access

Well, we've finally found where the 'ole in the top of the septic tank
is. Doing a bit of garden tidying yesterday, I found a paving slab in the
earth between a tree and the hedge. Lifting that, there was another
paving slab. Then a bit more. Then a brick. Then another paving slab... I
didn't lift that one, because a crack opened up between it and the earth
to one side - a bit of loose earth slid in, and landed with a sploosh.
I've not investigated any further, and have no great desire to. The slabs
are lobbed back in position at the moment.

Generally, not an ideal access setup. /understatement

So - what think you all? I've got a little stack of blocks at the back of
one of the outbuildings. The path of least resistance would appear to be
to lay those into the earth as best as possible, mortaring them together.
Mebbe lay a rough wooden frame underneath the first layer, to ensure they
stay put. A couple of layers, laid "low but wide", should give sufficient
strength without having to worry too much about earthworks. Then a
manhole frame & lid over the top.

There's not going to be any traffic over the top - vehicle or even foot.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/2013 09:46, Adrian wrote:
[...]

Various options he

http://www.pavingexpert.com/drain05.htm

There's not going to be any traffic over the top - vehicle or even foot.

You should, nevertheless, build it on the assumption that somebody,
someday, will step on it.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 05 Nov 2013 09:56:06 +0000, Nightjar wrote:

[...]

Mmm. A simple plastic raising piece plus cover sounds like the ideal
solution. I'll have a chat with the guys in the local builder's merchant,
too, see what they reckon.

There's not going to be any traffic over the top - vehicle or even
foot.

You should, nevertheless, build it on the assumption that somebody,
someday, will step on it.

Oh, absolutely.

But - trust me - no matter how bad, it's GOTTA be better than what's
there already.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 9:46:02 AM UTC, Adrian wrote:
Well, we've finally found where the 'ole in the top of the septic tank
is.

I wonder how long it will be until you find a card in your letterbox saying "parcel left under paving slab next to tree in garden"

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 05 Nov 2013 02:26:17 -0800, spuorgelgoog wrote:

Well, we've finally found where the 'ole in the top of the septic tank
is.

I wonder how long it will be until you find a card in your letterbox
saying "parcel left under paving slab next to tree in garden"

grin
No courier is going to find it accidentally...

septic tank leedsbob UK diy 17 February 21st 12 04:37 PM
Septic Tank Questions Art Todesco Home Repair 12 September 26th 09 11:43 AM
No Septic Tank? Steve B Home Repair 29 June 19th 07 09:09 PM
Is there a better way to access this pressure tank? C & E Home Repair 3 May 22nd 07 12:43 PM
Help - septic tank ( or not?) howardsend UK diy 23 March 16th 06 06:02 PM