Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Alternatives to Fellowes Air Duster?

I bought a can yesterday to blow out my Philishave razor after each
use, as I never liked the idea of running it under the tap. Too messy.

But when I got the can home I realised that it contains all kinds of
stuff, not just air as I expected.

Prior to considering an air duster, I had thought of a pumped up car
tyre (obtain an old wheel rim and used car tyre), but that would be an
extremely cumbersome solution. I'd have to pop into my garage every
morning just to blow out the razor, although it would ensure a
powerful blast of pure air.

Puffing into the razor myself works, kinda. But my 'puff' isn't strong
enough to blow out all the nooks and crannies.

So, any ideas for an alternative to the Air Duster can once it's
finished?

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/2013 06:11, MM wrote:
I bought a can yesterday to blow out my Philishave razor after each
use, as I never liked the idea of running it under the tap. Too messy.

But when I got the can home I realised that it contains all kinds of
stuff, not just air as I expected.

Prior to considering an air duster, I had thought of a pumped up car
tyre (obtain an old wheel rim and used car tyre), but that would be an
extremely cumbersome solution. I'd have to pop into my garage every
morning just to blow out the razor, although it would ensure a
powerful blast of pure air.

Puffing into the razor myself works, kinda. But my 'puff' isn't strong
enough to blow out all the nooks and crannies.

So, any ideas for an alternative to the Air Duster can once it's
finished?

MM

You're surely not using air puffs to blow your skin and hair particles
around the house, are you? You must be taking it outside to do that?

TBH I use mine each day without worrying about the bits. At least once a
week (often more frequently) I have a full wet shave with it, thoroughly
wash it out, roughly dry it, and that is all.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:
I bought a can yesterday to blow out my Philishave razor after each
use, as I never liked the idea of running it under the tap. Too messy.

But when I got the can home I realised that it contains all kinds of
stuff, not just air as I expected.

Prior to considering an air duster, I had thought of a pumped up car
tyre (obtain an old wheel rim and used car tyre), but that would be an
extremely cumbersome solution. I'd have to pop into my garage every
morning just to blow out the razor, although it would ensure a
powerful blast of pure air.

Puffing into the razor myself works, kinda. But my 'puff' isn't strong
enough to blow out all the nooks and crannies.

So, any ideas for an alternative to the Air Duster can once it's
finished?

MM

In one breath they say non flamable the specs say propane if it is
tetrafluoroethane like my dusting stuff you could use it in your car aircon
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 09:24:26 +0000, polygonum
wrote:

On 27/10/2013 06:11, MM wrote:
[...]

Why on earth should I take it outside when the air in any room in the
home is typically full of dead skin cells, spider **** and other
detritus anyway?

TBH I use mine each day without worrying about the bits. At least once a
week (often more frequently) I have a full wet shave with it, thoroughly
wash it out, roughly dry it, and that is all.

Yes, that may be your choice. Mine is NOT to use water, but to blow
out the stubble. Maybe use the little brush that comes with it once a
month in addition. My previous non-washable Philishave lasted for 20
years using the above cleaning regimen. I don't feel mixing water and
electronics is a good idea, and there's always the consideration that
the manufacturer may be recommending this in the expectation of a
replacement purchase sooner than really necessary. (This would be
planned obsolescence *with* the connivance of the user! Clever
muggers, these capitalists!)

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 20:49:23 +1100, F Murtz
wrote:

MM wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I just assumed that it was compressed air and nothing else.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:
I bought a can yesterday to blow out my Philishave razor after each
use, as I never liked the idea of running it under the tap. Too messy.

And blowing bits of bristle out isn't messy?

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/2013 06:11, MM wrote:
I bought a can yesterday to blow out my Philishave razor after each
use, as I never liked the idea of running it under the tap. Too messy.

But when I got the can home I realised that it contains all kinds of
stuff, not just air as I expected.

Prior to considering an air duster, I had thought of a pumped up car
tyre (obtain an old wheel rim and used car tyre), but that would be an
extremely cumbersome solution. I'd have to pop into my garage every
morning just to blow out the razor, although it would ensure a
powerful blast of pure air.

Puffing into the razor myself works, kinda. But my 'puff' isn't strong
enough to blow out all the nooks and crannies.

So, any ideas for an alternative to the Air Duster can once it's
finished?

MM

Don't they come with a cleaning brush?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
MM writes:

Yeah, I just assumed that it was compressed air and nothing else.

You can't liquify air (or nitrogen) in a thin aluminium aerosol-like
Canister at room temperature. Canister would need to be thick steel
to hold the pressure required.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
MM wrote:
I bought a can yesterday to blow out my Philishave razor after each
use, as I never liked the idea of running it under the tap. Too messy.

How is it more messy to blow hair bits everywhere rather than rinse down
the plughole? ;-)

--
*If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 10:13:09 +0000 (UTC), Tim+
wrote:

MM wrote:
I bought a can yesterday to blow out my Philishave razor after each
use, as I never liked the idea of running it under the tap. Too messy.

And blowing bits of bristle out isn't messy?

Tim

In my opinion, yes.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 10:37:19 +0000, "dennis@home"
wrote:

On 27/10/2013 06:11, MM wrote:
I bought a can yesterday to blow out my Philishave razor after each
use, as I never liked the idea of running it under the tap. Too messy.

But when I got the can home I realised that it contains all kinds of
stuff, not just air as I expected.

Prior to considering an air duster, I had thought of a pumped up car
tyre (obtain an old wheel rim and used car tyre), but that would be an
extremely cumbersome solution. I'd have to pop into my garage every
morning just to blow out the razor, although it would ensure a
powerful blast of pure air.

Puffing into the razor myself works, kinda. But my 'puff' isn't strong
enough to blow out all the nooks and crannies.

So, any ideas for an alternative to the Air Duster can once it's
finished?

MM

Don't they come with a cleaning brush?

Yeah, but that's really for the more intensive clean one is supposed
to perform every week/month. And still you're expected to wash out the
loosened stubble, whereas I don't want to run the thing under the tab.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 11:47:52 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
MM wrote:
I bought a can yesterday to blow out my Philishave razor after each
use, as I never liked the idea of running it under the tap. Too messy.

How is it more messy to blow hair bits everywhere rather than rinse down
the plughole? ;-)

Rinsing it gets water on your (otherwise dry) hands (I never shave
wet, other than with a Bic), the razor becomes wet. I just don't like
it.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 10:13:09 +0000 (UTC), Tim+ wrote:

I bought a can yesterday to blow out my Philishave razor after

each
use, as I never liked the idea of running it under the tap. Too

messy.

And blowing bits of bristle out isn't messy?

Becomes SEP. Namely the maids when she comes around dusting.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MM" wrote in message
I bought a can yesterday to blow out my Philishave razor after each
use, as I never liked the idea of running it under the tap. Too messy.

But when I got the can home I realised that it contains all kinds of
stuff, not just air as I expected.

Prior to considering an air duster, I had thought of a pumped up car
tyre (obtain an old wheel rim and used car tyre), but that would be an
extremely cumbersome solution. I'd have to pop into my garage every
morning just to blow out the razor, although it would ensure a
powerful blast of pure air.

Puffing into the razor myself works, kinda. But my 'puff' isn't strong
enough to blow out all the nooks and crannies.

So, any ideas for an alternative to the Air Duster can once it's
finished?

MM

Summat like this perhaps:
http://tinyurl.com/kt65gny

Posted to uk.d-i-y

So, any ideas for an alternative to the Air Duster can once it's
finished?

A refillable aerosol or atomizer might be what you seek.
Something from this range should do your job.
http://www.sureshotsprayer.com/AtomizersSprayers.html
Refillable from compressor or hand/foot pump to 200psi Max.

I've had one for about 30 years and it still works perfectly. Can be used
for a multitude of tasks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, October 27, 2013 6:11:37 AM UTC, MM wrote:
Puffing into the razor myself works, kinda. But my 'puff' isn't strong
enough to blow out all the nooks and crannies.

Blow through a tube eg biro pen case to concentrate your puff?

Bicycle pump, fit to the wall in a can crusher lever type attachment so you can work the pump with one hand and hold the shaver in the other.

Turkey baster?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 14:34:56 -0000, "Nick"
wrote:

So, any ideas for an alternative to the Air Duster can once it's
finished?

A refillable aerosol or atomizer might be what you seek.
Something from this range should do your job.
http://www.sureshotsprayer.com/AtomizersSprayers.html
Refillable from compressor or hand/foot pump to 200psi Max.

I've had one for about 30 years and it still works perfectly. Can be used
for a multitude of tasks.

Now THAT looks like the business! Thanks. (First sensible
suggestion...)

MM

Questions on Fellowes Shredder Spare Parts Jack CC Home Repair 1 July 15th 06 01:27 AM
Fellowes P400C shredder gear replacement [email protected] Electronics Repair 5 April 27th 06 04:15 PM
Parts for Fellowes paper shredders [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 March 21st 06 06:44 AM
Fellowes P400C2 shredder mike UK diy 1 March 22nd 05 08:39 PM
Fellowes Powershred PS 55CC disassembly John Olson Electronics Repair 4 November 29th 04 08:29 PM