Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cloudy headlamps

Has anyone found a successful way to polish out the 'haze' on plastic
headlights? There are lots of suggestions involving elbow-grease and
toothpast on YouTube, but I tried that and it may have made a slight
difference or it may just have been wishful thinking. Brasso was not much
better, but I think T-Cut was, but only marginally.
There are scary videos using fine grade abrasive kits on YouTube.
My garage said that the showroom next door uses T-cut and an electric
polisher, but I don't have an electric polisher and I believe conventional
drills with mop-discs can be too fast.
Any ideas?
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/13 22:15, Jim S wrote:
Has anyone found a successful way to polish out the 'haze' on plastic
headlights? There are lots of suggestions involving elbow-grease and
toothpast on YouTube, but I tried that and it may have made a slight
difference or it may just have been wishful thinking. Brasso was not much
better, but I think T-Cut was, but only marginally.
There are scary videos using fine grade abrasive kits on YouTube.
My garage said that the showroom next door uses T-cut and an electric
polisher, but I don't have an electric polisher and I believe conventional
drills with mop-discs can be too fast.
Any ideas?

http://www.powerbulbs.com/store/cate...storation-kits
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim S wrote:
Has anyone found a successful way to polish out the 'haze' on plastic
headlights? There are lots of suggestions involving elbow-grease and
toothpast on YouTube, but I tried that and it may have made a slight
difference or it may just have been wishful thinking. Brasso was not
much better, but I think T-Cut was, but only marginally. There are
scary videos using fine grade abrasive kits on YouTube. My garage said
that the showroom next door uses T-cut and an electric polisher, but I
don't have an electric polisher and I believe conventional drills with
mop-discs can be too fast. Any ideas?

Any such polishing is hard work by hand. Since it's similar to cutting
back car paint, Farecla is the best for that and comes in more than one
grade - although you'd likely have to go to a paint supplier to get the
coarser stuff. Halfords do the common one.

Have you checked if you can buy new lenses on their own? Ebay might be a
source - they're unlikely to be a dealer spare, but check anyway.

--
*I was once a millionaire but my mom gave away my baseball cards

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article ,
Jim S wrote:
[...]

430 for a pair - hence.............

--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim S writes:
Has anyone found a successful way to polish out the 'haze' on plastic
headlights? There are lots of suggestions involving elbow-grease and
toothpast on YouTube, but I tried that and it may have made a slight
difference or it may just have been wishful thinking. Brasso was not much
better, but I think T-Cut was, but only marginally.
There are scary videos using fine grade abrasive kits on YouTube.
My garage said that the showroom next door uses T-cut and an electric
polisher, but I don't have an electric polisher and I believe conventional
drills with mop-discs can be too fast.
Any ideas?

I got something called Greygate Plastic Polish from CPC a while
ago, which works on mine. It warns not to use on Cellulose Acetate,
for which they have an alternative product according to the label.
I don't think it would work for anything other than the finest
scratches.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim S wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article ,
Jim S wrote:
[...]

That's presumably the complete units? It is possible to buy lenses on
their own for some cars.

--
*A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 00:26:45 +0100
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Jim S wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article ,
Jim S wrote:
[...]

After a pheasant attacked my Renault Laguna headlamp assembly, smashing
it comprehensively, I bought a complete used working unit on the
internet for £25. Since a new unit is in the hundreds, I think it was a
good deal.
--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article ,
Jim S wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article ,
Jim S wrote:
[...]

Can't find any
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey wrote in
:

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 00:26:45 +0100
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Jim S wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article ,
Jim S wrote:
[...]

Lucky you. I did look.

--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim S" wrote in message
Davey wrote in
:

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 00:26:45 +0100
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Jim S wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article ,
Jim S wrote:
[...]

Get down your local car breaker. They still exist

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harryagain" wrote:
"Jim S" wrote in message
Davey wrote in

After a pheasant attacked my Renault Laguna headlamp assembly,
smashing it comprehensively, I bought a complete used working unit on
the internet for ÂŁ25. Since a new unit is in the hundreds, I think it
was a good deal.

Lucky you. I did look.

Get down your local car breaker. They still exist

"They" being? The OP hasn't named the vehicle.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harryagain" wrote in message ...

"Jim S" wrote in message
2...
Davey wrote in
:

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 00:26:45 +0100
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Jim S wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article ,
Jim S wrote:
[...]

Tried here yet?
http://www.silverlake.co.uk/
Stick in your reg no and any parts available will be listed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
Jim S wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

430 for a pair - hence.............

That's presumably the complete units? It is possible to buy lenses on
their own for some cars.

On my previous Fiesta, the glass easily unclipped from the unit
(I stuck it in the dishwasher a few times). However, it was not
available separately - you had to buy the whole unit. You could
get a cheaper version without the motorised level adjust, and
either just unclip the glass front, or use the whole new unit
and move the motor across.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in
:

I was under the impression it was a change in the actual material
opacity itself due to UV that was the real problem in most instances.
Brian

Indeed and since it is a 2004 Mitsubishi Space Star that was only made for
a few years, used parts are hard to come by.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
That's presumably the complete units? It is possible to buy lenses on
their own for some cars.

On my previous Fiesta, the glass easily unclipped from the unit
(I stuck it in the dishwasher a few times). However, it was not
available separately - you had to buy the whole unit. You could
get a cheaper version without the motorised level adjust, and
either just unclip the glass front, or use the whole new unit
and move the motor across.

With at least some makes, the actual 'glass' may be available in other
countries than the UK. Which can take a bit of finding.

A forum or car club for your particular model would be a good start for
info.

--
*Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/2013 07:47, Richard wrote:

Tried here yet?
http://www.silverlake.co.uk/
Stick in your reg no and any parts available will be listed.

I looked at that site and some of the bits are as expensive as the main
dealer, some are more expensive (for a sample of one car).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
That's presumably the complete units? It is possible to buy lenses on
their own for some cars.

On my previous Fiesta, the glass easily unclipped from the unit
(I stuck it in the dishwasher a few times). However, it was not
available separately - you had to buy the whole unit. You could
get a cheaper version without the motorised level adjust, and
either just unclip the glass front, or use the whole new unit
and move the motor across.

With at least some makes, the actual 'glass' may be available in other
countries than the UK. Which can take a bit of finding.

That might explain why some cars have left hand drive light patterns on
one light.

The most common reason is that some people just can't fit a bulb
correctly. Maybe a part P for car electrics?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim S wrote:
Has anyone found a successful way to polish out the 'haze' on plastic
headlights? There are lots of suggestions involving elbow-grease and
toothpast on YouTube, but I tried that and it may have made a slight
difference or it may just have been wishful thinking. Brasso was not much
better, but I think T-Cut was, but only marginally.
There are scary videos using fine grade abrasive kits on YouTube.
My garage said that the showroom next door uses T-cut and an electric
polisher, but I don't have an electric polisher and I believe conventional
drills with mop-discs can be too fast.
Any ideas?

I used clear nail varnish.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
dennis@home wrote:
With at least some makes, the actual 'glass' may be available in other
countries than the UK. Which can take a bit of finding.

That might explain why some cars have left hand drive light patterns on
one light.

It would depend on whether it has a fresnel lens as part of it or is just
plain. Thought that would be too obvious to state.

--
*I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jb Jb is offline

When my motorcycle screen was completly opaque I took the view that I
couldn't make it worse so tried polishing it.
Using 50/50 Tcut and water plus angle grinder with a polishing mop it was a
total success! It looked like new after twenty minutes... but took the same
again to clear up the mess.

Jb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Most car write offs are due to frontal collisions as a belt up the rear is usually easily fixed hence the shortage of front lights at these sites
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim S writes:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article ,
Jim S wrote:
[...]

Don't you wish car designers still used the standard sealed beam units
of long ago?

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ S c o t s h o m e . c o m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey writes:

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 00:26:45 +0100
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Jim S wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in=20
:

=20
In article ,
Jim S wrote:
Has anyone found a successful way to polish out the 'haze' on
plastic headlights? There are lots of suggestions involving
elbow-grease and toothpast on YouTube, but I tried that and it
may have made a slight difference or it may just have been
wishful thinking. Brasso was not much better, but I think T-Cut
was, but only marginally. There are scary videos using fine
grade abrasive kits on YouTube. My garage=20
said
that the showroom next door uses T-cut and an electric polisher,
but=20
don't have an electric polisher and I believe conventional
drills=20
with
mop-discs can be too fast. Any ideas?
=20
Any such polishing is hard work by hand. Since it's similar to
cutting back car paint, Farecla is the best for that and comes in
more than=20
one
grade - although you'd likely have to go to a paint supplier to
get=20
the
coarser stuff. Halfords do the common one.
=20
Have you checked if you can buy new lenses on their own? Ebay
might be=20
source - they're unlikely to be a dealer spare, but check anyway.
=20

=20
=C2=A3430 for a pair - hence.............

=20
That's presumably the complete units? It is possible to buy lenses on
their own for some cars.
=20

After a pheasant attacked my Renault Laguna headlamp assembly, smashing
it comprehensively, I bought a complete used working unit on the
internet for =C2=A325. Since a new unit is in the hundreds, I think it was a
good deal.

I hope there was enough left of the pheasant to have it roasted for
supper :-)

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ S c o t s h o m e . c o m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 00:08:58 GMT
lid (Windmill) wrote:

Davey writes:

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 00:26:45 +0100
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Jim S wrote:
Has anyone found a successful way to polish out the 'haze' on
plastic headlights? There are lots of suggestions involving
elbow-grease and toothpast on YouTube, but I tried that and it
may have made a slight difference or it may just have been
wishful thinking. Brasso was not much better, but I think
T-Cut was, but only marginally. There are scary videos using
fine grade abrasive kits on YouTube. My garage=20
said
that the showroom next door uses T-cut and an electric
polisher, but=20
don't have an electric polisher and I believe conventional
drills=20
with
mop-discs can be too fast. Any ideas?
=20
Any such polishing is hard work by hand. Since it's similar to
cutting back car paint, Farecla is the best for that and comes
in more than=20
one
grade - although you'd likely have to go to a paint supplier to
get=20
the
coarser stuff. Halfords do the common one.
=20
Have you checked if you can buy new lenses on their own? Ebay
might be=20
source - they're unlikely to be a dealer spare, but check
anyway.
=20
=20
=C2=A3430 for a pair - hence.............
=20
That's presumably the complete units? It is possible to buy lenses
on their own for some cars.
=20

After a pheasant attacked my Renault Laguna headlamp assembly,
smashing it comprehensively, I bought a complete used working unit
on the internet for =C2=A325. Since a new unit is in the hundreds, I
think it was a good deal.

I hope there was enough left of the pheasant to have it roasted for
supper :-)

I suppose if I had wanted to risk my life by stopping at the side of
the dual carriageway and rushing out amongst the traffic to scrape it
off the ground, I might have been able to do that, but as it was, I was
in too much of a hurry!

OT: When I look at my message, I see that I used the sign for a UK
pound, but when I see it in your Reply, it is very corrupted. Maybe I
need to do some character conditioning to my newsreader. How does it
appear to you, in both messages?

--
Davey.

Cloudy gas???? Dave[_58_] Home Repair 58 December 3rd 11 08:48 AM
HELP! cloudy water [email protected] UK diy 3 November 18th 08 10:40 PM
Got A Cloudy Pool? Your Local Pool Guy Home Repair 2 December 16th 06 02:57 PM
Cloudy hot water stinkeroo Home Repair 17 December 4th 06 12:34 PM
9V battery testing; Thevenin equivalent; car headlamps. Adam Funk Electronics Repair 22 August 2nd 06 09:57 AM