Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default changing a Honda headlight

I went out to change the blown lamp in the headlight today --- of
course it was the RH one again, which is less accessible because of
the filling tube for the windscreen washer.

I took the old one out, thinking to myself, why the heck can't they
make this easier to get into? Just making the filling tube fold out
of the way would help. Grumble grumble. Especially since there are 2
points on the tube that look like the joints in bendy straws. Hey,
does that clip move? (You can see where this is going.)

Anyway, yes, the filling tube can be unclipped & folded out of the
way, & it makes putting everything back together a lot easier. I wish
I'd discovered this years ago. Next time, I'll find out how much
easier it makes removing the blown lamp too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adam Funk" wrote in message
news
I went out to change the blown lamp in the headlight today --- of
course it was the RH one again, which is less accessible because of
the filling tube for the windscreen washer.

I took the old one out, thinking to myself, why the heck can't they
make this easier to get into? Just making the filling tube fold out
of the way would help. Grumble grumble. Especially since there are 2
points on the tube that look like the joints in bendy straws. Hey,
does that clip move? (You can see where this is going.)

Anyway, yes, the filling tube can be unclipped & folded out of the
way, & it makes putting everything back together a lot easier. I wish
I'd discovered this years ago. Next time, I'll find out how much
easier it makes removing the blown lamp too.

It will never blow again. (Sod's law)

Don't get your lamps from Halfords. Get them from the dealer, they lastmuch
longer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

harryagain wrote:
"Adam Funk" wrote in message
news
[...]

Dunno that that is true, but a £9.99 for an H7 from Hafords I am mnot going
there. They are £4 at the local motor factors. And yes my headlight bulb
blew this morning:-(

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/10/2013 08:11, harryagain wrote:
"Adam Funk" wrote in message
news
[...]

A complete emergency set of bulbs was cheaper at the main dealer than
one headlamp bulb from halfords. That was before trade.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-10-20, harryagain wrote:

"Adam Funk" wrote in message
news
I went out to change the blown lamp in the headlight today --- of
course it was the RH one again, which is less accessible because of
the filling tube for the windscreen washer.

I took the old one out, thinking to myself, why the heck can't they
make this easier to get into? Just making the filling tube fold out
of the way would help. Grumble grumble. Especially since there are 2
points on the tube that look like the joints in bendy straws. Hey,
does that clip move? (You can see where this is going.)

Anyway, yes, the filling tube can be unclipped & folded out of the
way, & it makes putting everything back together a lot easier. I wish
I'd discovered this years ago. Next time, I'll find out how much
easier it makes removing the blown lamp too.

It will never blow again. (Sod's law)

I won't complain about that.

Don't get your lamps from Halfords. Get them from the dealer, they lastmuch
longer.

I get them from a branch of Bullseye (I think).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-10-19, Adam Funk wrote:

I went out to change the blown lamp in the headlight today --- of
course it was the RH one again, which is less accessible because of
the filling tube for the windscreen washer.

I took the old one out, thinking to myself, why the heck can't they
make this easier to get into? Just making the filling tube fold out
of the way would help. Grumble grumble. Especially since there are 2
points on the tube that look like the joints in bendy straws. Hey,
does that clip move? (You can see where this is going.)

Anyway, yes, the filling tube can be unclipped & folded out of the
way, & it makes putting everything back together a lot easier. I wish
I'd discovered this years ago. Next time, I'll find out how much
easier it makes removing the blown lamp too.

Sure enough, the LH one blew this Saturday. Of course, there's no way
the battery can fold out of the way, but I'm getting practised at this
manoeuvre. It was very windy while I was working on it, so while I
was fetching a torch, the spare lamp wrapped in kitchen roll blew
somewhere under the bonnet & the bag containing the spare spare lamp
blew out of the open boot. I can't blame Honda for those issues, but
I was a grumpy so-&-so.

I can wonder why they install a lighter-socket in the boot that is
underwired & underfused for running the air compressor that they also
supply in the under-boot. You're supposed to plug the air compressor
into the lighter-socket under the dash, even though that's
counter-intuitive for pumping up the rear tyres.

Of course, I did notice after it stopped working that there's a tag on
the cable with some green tick & red X pictographs about where to plug
it in.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/2013 21:10, Adam Funk wrote:
Sure enough, the LH one blew this Saturday.

You might want to check your voltage. If you're popping bulbs it may be
a bit high.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-10-21, Jethro_uk wrote:

Some cars need to be jacked up and have the wheel arch liner removed to
get to the front bulbs. It's intended to be a main dealer job.

Wow, what a swindle.

I wonder what happens in France, where cops have been known to make a
motorist change a blown bulb before letting him go again ?

The French appreciate it when visitors try to speak French. I guess
you practice "Monsieur, pouvez-vous m'emprunter un cric, s'il vous
plaît?" before you go, if you have kind of car. (Sir, can you please
lend me a jack?)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-10-21, Jethro_uk wrote:

Some cars need to be jacked up and have the wheel arch liner removed to
get to the front bulbs. It's intended to be a main dealer job.

Wow, what a swindle.

I wonder what happens in France, where cops have been known to make a
motorist change a blown bulb before letting him go again ?

The French appreciate it when visitors try to speak French. I guess
you practice "Monsieur, pouvez-vous m'emprunter un cric, s'il vous
plaît?" before you go, if you have kind of car. (Sir, can you please
lend me a jack?)

Oops, that should be "me prêter un cric" ("emprunter" means
"borrow"). But it would probably help anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-10-21, Jethro_uk wrote:

Some cars need to be jacked up and have the wheel arch liner removed
to get to the front bulbs. It's intended to be a main dealer job.

Wow, what a swindle.

I wonder what happens in France, where cops have been known to make a
motorist change a blown bulb before letting him go again ?

The French appreciate it when visitors try to speak French. I guess
you practice "Monsieur, pouvez-vous m'emprunter un cric, s'il vous
plaît?" before you go, if you have kind of car. (Sir, can you please
lend me a jack?)

Oops, that should be "me prêter un cric" ("emprunter" means "borrow").
But it would probably help anyway.

Maybe Adam is from the Midlands ...

Not even close, but good one!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:

shortly after moving to the Midlands we had a visit from a mortgage
adviser. It was all I could do to hear her going on about how much she
could "borrow us". I caught our lad saying once, and hit the roof.

Whereas in Yorkshire somebody might ask if they could "lend" your
item. The response "To whom?" invariably produced an
uncomprehending stare.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2013 14:45, Jethro_uk wrote:

shortly after moving to the Midlands we had a visit from a mortgage
adviser. It was all I could do to hear her going on about how much she
could "borrow us". I caught our lad saying once, and hit the roof.

A mortgage adviser may well "borrow money for clients", the bank/bs will
lend the money not the adviser.

Yowright ? Shewer ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2013 20:01, Jethro_uk wrote:
My experience is limited to Paris, where any attempt to speak French is
either met with contempt and a sudden inability for the French to speak
French, or a reply in English more fluent than most places in the UK.

My French is ... merde. And I've never had any trouble, except in one
resort known as Paris-plage, where they were all snooty about it. I
think it may be the Parisians rather than the French in general.

Andy
--
plage = beach
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vir Campestris wrote:

My French is ... merde. And I've never had any trouble, except in one
resort known as Paris-plage, where they were all snooty about it. I
think it may be the Parisians rather than the French in general.

Many years ago, after reports of a hairdryer making odd noises
when plugged into a socket at a French camp site, I checked with
my multimeter.

Both conductors measured 220 V to the earth pin, 380 V between
conductors. They had actually connected two phases to the same
socket outlets. Fortunately there were some outlets without
earth pins which were OK.

I decided that my technical French was probably about as good as
the camp proprietor's grasp of three-phase vector theory, and
kept quiet.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk put finger to keyboard:

On Sat, 19 Oct 2013 21:43:05 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

[...]

And on my Mondeo, I open the bonnet, lift up two metal lugs and the entire
headlight unit slides out forwards. Lamp changed in less than sixty
seconds. Why can't they all be as simple as this?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 22/10/13 10:33, Scion wrote:
Jethro_uk put finger to keyboard:
Some cars need to be jacked up and have the wheel arch liner removed to
get to the front bulbs. It's intended to be a main dealer job.

And on my Mondeo, I open the bonnet, lift up two metal lugs and the entire
headlight unit slides out forwards. Lamp changed in less than sixty
seconds. Why can't they all be as simple as this?

Changing the bulbs on my Citroën C2 is easy enough. But changing the
headlamo unit would mean taking off the front bumper and arch liner.
Which is a pity as otherwise I could swap back to the original LHD set
of lamps when I go to Italy in the summer and the RHD set for the rest
of the year.

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/13 10:33, Scion wrote:
Jethro_uk put finger to keyboard:
Some cars need to be jacked up and have the wheel arch liner removed to
get to the front bulbs. It's intended to be a main dealer job.

And on my Mondeo, I open the bonnet, lift up two metal lugs and the
entire
headlight unit slides out forwards. Lamp changed in less than sixty
seconds. Why can't they all be as simple as this?

Changing the bulbs on my Citroën C2 is easy enough. But changing the
headlamo unit would mean taking off the front bumper and arch liner. Which
is a pity as otherwise I could swap back to the original LHD set of lamps
when I go to Italy in the summer and the RHD set for the rest of the year.

I was struggling to work out how to change a headlamp bulb in the 08 Passat
I used to drive. Eventually gave up trying to work it out myself and looked
in the handbook.
Guess what "This is a main dealer operation" is all it had to say.
Sod that, four screws and a couple of clips later part of the air intake was
out giving easy access.

On a similar note I recently needed a headlamp for the Land Rover, standard
7 inch job. Euro parts, once they located one wanted £84!!!!!
Remember this headlamp was virtually standard across many cars for donkeys
years either with or without side-light holes.

Back home, online, genuine LR part £17.80 including delivery.

These modern motor factors can't find anything without chassis numbers and
my self built Lightweigh Land Rover/ Range Rover hybrid is becoming a
problem finding the most simple parts. Most of what I want is on the shelf
but, like the headlamp, they just cant find it because they haven't a clue.
What year is it? they say. Well most of the body is 74, chassis is 72,
engine 84ish, suspension mostly late 80s, brakes all early 90s with loads of
parts new when I built it in 94!

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-10-22, Muddymike wrote:

These modern motor factors can't find anything without chassis numbers and
my self built Lightweigh Land Rover/ Range Rover hybrid is becoming a
problem finding the most simple parts. Most of what I want is on the shelf
but, like the headlamp, they just cant find it because they haven't a clue.
What year is it? they say. Well most of the body is 74, chassis is 72,
engine 84ish, suspension mostly late 80s, brakes all early 90s with loads of
parts new when I built it in 94!

See also "One Piece at a Time" sung by Johnny Cash.
;-)