Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to cut a channel in stony ground

I want to bury a water pipe in my garden. Ideally the pipe should be 6"
to a foot deep. It will contain a cable rather than water so freezing is
not an issue.

The ground I want to go through contains many stones and roots. If I
want to dig I normally use a mattock.

Are there any cutters that I could hire that would be suitable for
cutting a foot deep grove on either side of the channel I need to create
for the pipe?

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

How long will the trench be? Might be worth getting a mini-digger.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/13 19:53, Michael Chare wrote:
I want to bury a water pipe in my garden. Ideally the pipe should be 6"
to a foot deep. It will contain a cable rather than water so freezing is
not an issue.

The ground I want to go through contains many stones and roots. If I
want to dig I normally use a mattock.

Are there any cutters that I could hire that would be suitable for
cutting a foot deep grove on either side of the channel I need to create
for the pipe?

i used a concrete saw to lay a pipe under a concrete path.

bit like a man sized angle grinder with a diamond blade...

But tha seems overkill - what's wrong with a pick?

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/13 19:53, Michael Chare wrote:
I want to bury a water pipe in my garden. Ideally the pipe should be 6"
to a foot deep. It will contain a cable rather than water so freezing is
not an issue.

The ground I want to go through contains many stones and roots. If I
want to dig I normally use a mattock.

Are there any cutters that I could hire that would be suitable for
cutting a foot deep grove on either side of the channel I need to create
for the pipe?

i used a concrete saw to lay a pipe under a concrete path.

bit like a man sized angle grinder with a diamond blade...

I wondered about something like that, but would it get clogged up with
the earth and are there any problems going through roots?

But tha seems overkill - what's wrong with a pick?

I was looking for an easy way to reduce the hard work.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think you will need to go down to 400mm for a cable to meet building regs.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday 15 October 2013 20:33 Tricky Dicky wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I think you will need to go down to 400mm for a cable to meet building
regs.

Richard

Not building regs - the IET Wiring Regs.

The OP did not say what the cable was - could be fibre optic, ELV etc.

Also, the depth is dependant on what's on top - eg under a flower bed, even
400mm would be a bit shallow - but under paving it would be OK.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:
I want to bury a water pipe in my garden. Ideally the pipe should be
6" to a foot deep. It will contain a cable rather than water so
freezing is not an issue.

The ground I want to go through contains many stones and roots. If I
want to dig I normally use a mattock.

Are there any cutters that I could hire that would be suitable for
cutting a foot deep grove on either side of the channel I need to
create for the pipe?

There are but they're not normally used in this scenario, I'm talking about
the huge grinders that are used on motorways etc, and I'm not even sure you
could hire one.
You can hire a normal grinder with a 200mm disc, this will cut about 100mm
in on each side, then you'll have to scrape everything out and start again.

Obviously when you start the trench, it'll have to be about 400mm wide so as
to fit the grinder in for the second run.

You can put cable a foot deep but you'd be wise to concrete over the top
rather than loose fill with gravel / soil etc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Michael Chare mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorgDOTuk wrote:
I want to bury a water pipe in my garden. Ideally the pipe should be 6"
to a foot deep. It will contain a cable rather than water so freezing is
not an issue.

Running cable in a water pipe isn't a great idea - why not run SWA cable
in the ground?

The ground I want to go through contains many stones and roots. If I
want to dig I normally use a mattock.

given that, is there a wall/fence down the side of the garden? If so is
fixing SWA to that an option?

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday 15 October 2013 19:53 Michael Chare wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I want to bury a water pipe in my garden. Ideally the pipe should be 6"
to a foot deep. It will contain a cable rather than water so freezing is
not an issue.

The ground I want to go through contains many stones and roots. If I
want to dig I normally use a mattock.

Are there any cutters that I could hire that would be suitable for
cutting a foot deep grove on either side of the channel I need to create
for the pipe?

What's the cable, and what is it carrying? Extra Low Voltage, mains (Low
Voltage ironically), or even just light (fibre optic cable).

Way too little info - can you elaborate please.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2013 22:44, Tim Watts wrote:
On Tuesday 15 October 2013 19:53 Michael Chare wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I want to bury a water pipe in my garden. Ideally the pipe should be 6"
to a foot deep. It will contain a cable rather than water so freezing is
not an issue.

The ground I want to go through contains many stones and roots. If I
want to dig I normally use a mattock.

Are there any cutters that I could hire that would be suitable for
cutting a foot deep grove on either side of the channel I need to create
for the pipe?

What's the cable, and what is it carrying? Extra Low Voltage, mains (Low
Voltage ironically), or even just light (fibre optic cable).

Way too little info - can you elaborate please.

Perhaps I should of said that the water pipe is to protect a fibre optic
cable. If the cable gets damaged it will be annoying but not dangerous.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday 16 October 2013 00:46 Michael Chare wrote in uk.d-i-y:

[...]

All sounds fine then.. Only if someone was about to stick a bit of
twin+earth down a hose a foot under the lawn, they ought to be warned off

Back to the question in hand... I would have thought a mattock was the best
bet.

The next level would be a road cutting grinder, used for a similar
application - cutting slots in roads so the trench is neat edged when the
digger comes and rips the bit out the middle.

However, they are big, lumpy (think big lawnmower with more boxiness) and
I'm not sure even they cut 12" deep - they might only be 6-9" - enough to
get through tarmac and a concrete subbase.

The other problem is they are unusual outside of the road contractor's area
- you could try the bigger hire places.

HTH

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Michael Chare mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorgDOTuk wrote:

Perhaps I should of said that the water pipe is to protect a fibre optic
cable. If the cable gets damaged it will be annoying but not dangerous.

Ahhhh... that changes my answer somewhat :-) SWA has pretty poor losses
when used as fibre :-)

Water pipe is a bit less of an issue then and would probably be tougher
than proper fibre ducting tbh. Certainly it'll be easier to obtain and
cheaper

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
o.uk...

I want to bury a water pipe in my garden. Ideally the pipe should be 6"
to a foot deep. It will contain a cable rather than water so freezing is
not an issue.

The ground I want to go through contains many stones and roots. If I
want to dig I normally use a mattock.

Are there any cutters that I could hire that would be suitable for
cutting a foot deep grove on either side of the channel I need to create
for the pipe?

Go hire a small "Trencher"

Such as
http://www.hireone.net/product-detai...product_id=151