Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Connecting a rainwater diverter to a butt

Having recently done this I found,after a lot of rain that the butt
fills too high. This means buying a new length of pipe to lower the
diverter. To make sure I got it right this time I thought I would look
it up on the net, to see if there was an easy way.This led me to Tommy's
Trade secrets he
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9QTeW7UAT8
What happens when his butt fills up, how does the water know it is full?
I wonder how many people have followed his instructions and lived to
regret it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
Having recently done this I found,after a lot of rain that the butt
fills too high. This means buying a new length of pipe to lower the
diverter.

Assuming you're not as off as Tommy, how about just raising the butt a bit?

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2013 16:21, Broadback wrote:
Having recently done this I found,after a lot of rain that the butt
fills too high. This means buying a new length of pipe to lower the
diverter....

Would it not be simpler to fit an overflow pipe to the butt that dumps
excess water back into the downpipe below the diverter?

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Nightjar
writes
On 08/10/2013 16:21, Broadback wrote:
Having recently done this I found,after a lot of rain that the butt
fills too high. This means buying a new length of pipe to lower the
diverter....

Would it not be simpler to fit an overflow pipe to the butt that dumps
excess water back into the downpipe below the diverter?

Colin Bignell

My diverter does just that. You have to set it quite precisely to get
the butt just full. But I left a bit of excess on the down pipe so I can
slide the diverter a bit just to get the level right.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, October 9, 2013 4:59:27 AM UTC+13, Nightjar wrote:

Would it not be simpler to fit an overflow pipe to the butt that dumps
excess water back into the downpipe below the diverter?

I thought it was terribly logical to put an ordinary T-junction in the downpipe and glue a sloping partition inside to divert ALL of the water into the butt until it was full, when the water goes down the downpipe again. I've done that and it works very well.
That video is just dreadful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2013 04:21 PM, Broadback wrote:
Having recently done this I found,after a lot of rain that the butt
fills too high. This means buying a new length of pipe to lower the
diverter. To make sure I got it right this time I thought I would look
it up on the net, to see if there was an easy way.This led me to Tommy's
Trade secrets he
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9QTeW7UAT8
What happens when his butt fills up, how does the water know it is full?
I wonder how many people have followed his instructions and lived to
regret it?

In place of the tap, I actually have a hose with a hook on the end,
which when not in use, sits in the down pipe, just below the maximum
water level. This is used to fill cans etc. without fiddling with a tap.
Helps change the water during heavy downpours and ensures any excess
goes into the downpipe. Works well.

Andy C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
Having recently done this I found,after a lot of rain that the butt fills
too high. This means buying a new length of pipe to lower the diverter.
To make sure I got it right this time I thought I would look it up on the
net, to see if there was an easy way.This led me to Tommy's Trade secrets he
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9QTeW7UAT8
What happens when his butt fills up, how does the water know it is full?
I wonder how many people have followed his instructions and lived to regret it?

Dunno but he's been a berk on two counts. Firstly for putting the diverter
in *above* the maximum desired water level and secondly for using one of
those horrid diverter devices. It *will* get blocked with leaves and moss
and if you've glued it all together you'll have fun unblocking it.

Not sure if there's a better diverter around though.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2013 18:26, Tim+ wrote:
Broadback wrote:
Having recently done this I found,after a lot of rain that the butt fills
too high. This means buying a new length of pipe to lower the diverter.
To make sure I got it right this time I thought I would look it up on the
net, to see if there was an easy way.This led me to Tommy's Trade secrets he
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9QTeW7UAT8
What happens when his butt fills up, how does the water know it is full?
I wonder how many people have followed his instructions and lived to regret it?

Dunno but he's been a berk on two counts. Firstly for putting the diverter
in *above* the maximum desired water level and secondly for using one of
those horrid diverter devices. It *will* get blocked with leaves and moss
and if you've glued it all together you'll have fun unblocking it.

Not sure if there's a better diverter around though.

Tim

For that particular installation he may as well have put the downpipe
into the butt and let it overflow.
The downpipe just empties onto the slab anyway.

Mine just has the downpipe into it..
it then has a few small holes drilled a few inches from the top.

If it rains the level rises and then leaks away slowly into the ground
while still keeping some water for watering with.

Its positioned on top of the soakaway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim+ wrote:
Broadback wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9QTeW7UAT8
What happens when his butt fills up, how does the water know it is full?
I wonder how many people have followed his instructions and lived to regret it?

Dunno but he's been a berk on two counts. Firstly for putting the diverter
in *above* the maximum desired water level and secondly for using one of
those horrid diverter devices. It *will* get blocked with leaves and moss
and if you've glued it all together you'll have fun unblocking it.

Not sure if there's a better diverter around though.

There are various designs that claim to be better, and plausibly look as if
they might be. I don't know if they really are though. Anyone tried them?

http://www.reuk.co.uk/GutterMate-Rai...d-Diverter.htm
http://www.rainwatershop.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d6.html
http://www.graf-water.com/rainwater-...luxe-grey.html
http://www.3ptechnikuk.com/rainwater...ling-function/
http://www.rainwaterharvesting.co.uk...filter-820.php
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday 08 October 2013 18:26 Tim+ wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Broadback wrote:
[...]

This looks like a better design:

http://www.easy-irrigation.co.uk/rai...ack-p-442.html

Bulky though...

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message

nal-september.org, Tim+ writes
Broadback wrote:
[...]

They should not be glued together precisely for that reason
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Broadback" wrote in message
Having recently done this I found,after a lot of rain that the butt fills
too high. This means buying a new length of pipe to lower the diverter. To
make sure I got it right this time I thought I would look it up on the
net, to see if there was an easy way.This led me to Tommy's Trade secrets
he
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9QTeW7UAT8
What happens when his butt fills up, how does the water know it is full?
I wonder how many people have followed his instructions and lived to
regret it?

You put the diverter in the downpipe at the height you want the water to be
in the butt.
The surplus water bypasses the scoop thing which is full when the butt is
full and carries on down the pipe.down the pipe

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2013 16:21, Broadback wrote:
Having recently done this I found,after a lot of rain that the butt
fills too high. This means buying a new length of pipe to lower the
diverter. To make sure I got it right this time I thought I would look
it up on the net, to see if there was an easy way.This led me to Tommy's
Trade secrets he
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9QTeW7UAT8
What happens when his butt fills up, how does the water know it is full?
I wonder how many people have followed his instructions and lived to
regret it?

Surely we need a crossover with the portable bidet thread... :-)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 8 Oct 2013, "Broadback" writ:

Having recently done this I found,after a lot of rain that the butt
fills too high. This means buying a new length of pipe to lower the
diverter. To make sure I got it right this time I thought I would look
it up on the net, to see if there was an easy way.This led me to
Tommy's Trade secrets he
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9QTeW7UAT8
What happens when his butt fills up, how does the water know it is full?
I wonder how many people have followed his instructions and lived to
regret it?

This guy is an idiot! Downpipe adapter far too high so that the butt
will overflow. Stand round the wrong way so that you can't get a
watering can or anything else underneath. Solvent glue, totally
unnecessary and a positive hindrance if you want to remove any part of
the installation at a later date.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/10/2013 11:05, Percy wrote:
On Tue, 8 Oct 2013, "Broadback" writ:

Having recently done this I found,after a lot of rain that the butt
fills too high. This means buying a new length of pipe to lower the
diverter. To make sure I got it right this time I thought I would look
it up on the net, to see if there was an easy way.This led me to
Tommy's Trade secrets he
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9QTeW7UAT8
What happens when his butt fills up, how does the water know it is full?
I wonder how many people have followed his instructions and lived to
regret it?

This guy is an idiot! Downpipe adapter far too high so that the butt
will overflow. Stand round the wrong way so that you can't get a
watering can or anything else underneath. Solvent glue, totally
unnecessary and a positive hindrance if you want to remove any part of
the installation at a later date.

It must be a spoof video surely! How can anyone possibly make that many
mistakes whilst purportedly showing people how to do it?

Gluing it is complete madness since the diverter will inevitably catch
moss and leaves and need cleaning out about once a year. ISTR the
instructions with diverters say that you put it so that the overflow lip
is at the height you want the water level in the butt.

The diverter design is the weak point. Perhaps their intention is to
force people to buy a new drainpipe and diverter from them annually.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown