Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fancy TRVs

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/electrica...averf-devices/
temperature_control/Thermostat-Radiator-Valve-Set-11937516?
skuId=12448222&_requestid=131939

I find TRVs ineffective but have been looking at some like the above, a
wall mounted thermostat linked to a trv.

But they seem to work off batteries, surely these can't last very long.

Anyone any experience of these?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 2 Oct 2013 22:35:06 +0000 (UTC), R D S
wrote:

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/electrica...averf-devices/
temperature_control/Thermostat-Radiator-Valve-Set-11937516?
skuId=12448222&_requestid=131939

I find TRVs ineffective but have been looking at some like the above, a
wall mounted thermostat linked to a trv.

But they seem to work off batteries, surely these can't last very long.

Anyone any experience of these?

You can also get traditional TRVs with a temperature sensing phial
connected to the valve head via a capillary tube so the sensed
temperature can be more representative of the room.

No batteries.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Oct 2013 23:48:11 +0100, Graham. wrote:

You can also get traditional TRVs with a temperature sensing phial
connected to the valve head via a capillary tube so the sensed
temperature can be more representative of the room.

No batteries.

I like the sound of that, didn't know they existed, cheers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 2 Oct 2013 23:04:02 +0000 (UTC), R D S
wrote:

On Wed, 02 Oct 2013 23:48:11 +0100, Graham. wrote:

You can also get traditional TRVs with a temperature sensing phial
connected to the valve head via a capillary tube so the sensed
temperature can be more representative of the room.

No batteries.

I like the sound of that, didn't know they existed, cheers.

Some details he

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...53371865,d.d2k

or
http://tinyurl.com/nefjtqq

It's a PDF you download.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/electrica...averf-devices/
temperature_control/Thermostat-Radiator-Valve-Set-11937516?
skuId=12448222&_requestid=131939

I find TRVs ineffective but have been looking at some like the above, a
wall mounted thermostat linked to a trv.

I have some of these

http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/c...-Radio-Exhaust

(The "Radio Exhaust" is actually a radiator bleeding device, and
this combination is £10 cheaper than one without the freebie)

No issues with batteries, and they seem to work as anticipated.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 03 Oct 2013 07:27:30 +0100, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

R D S wrote:

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/electrica...averf-devices/
temperature_control/Thermostat-Radiator-Valve-Set-11937516?
skuId=12448222&_requestid=131939

I find TRVs ineffective but have been looking at some like the above, a
wall mounted thermostat linked to a trv.

I have some of these

http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/c...-Radio-Exhaust

(The "Radio Exhaust" is actually a radiator bleeding device, and
this combination is £10 cheaper than one without the freebie)

No issues with batteries, and they seem to work as anticipated.

Chris

Max. range 100 ms (with free visual contact)

I imagine that's meters not milliseconds, and the bit in brackets it
chinglese for line-of sight (BICBW)

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message
http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/electrica...averf-devices/
temperature_control/Thermostat-Radiator-Valve-Set-11937516?
skuId=12448222&_requestid=131939

I find TRVs ineffective but have been looking at some like the above, a
wall mounted thermostat linked to a trv.

But they seem to work off batteries, surely these can't last very long.

Anyone any experience of these?

You are entirely correct, they are useless.
The sensor is affected more by the nearby radiator than the room
temperature.

However, you can get them with remote sensors/bulb that do work, (no
batteries purely mechanical)
It has a sensor linked to the valve with a capillary tube.

They are about 50% extra.
Google remote sensor TRV
http://www.myson.co.uk/products/remote_sensor_heads.asp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harryagain" wrote in news:l2j7mv$2is$9
@dont-email.me:

"R D S" wrote in message
http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/electrica...averf-devices/
temperature_control/Thermostat-Radiator-Valve-Set-11937516?
skuId=12448222&_requestid=131939

I find TRVs ineffective but have been looking at some like the above,

wall mounted thermostat linked to a trv.

But they seem to work off batteries, surely these can't last very

long.

Anyone any experience of these?

You are entirely correct, they are useless.
The sensor is affected more by the nearby radiator than the room
temperature.

However, you can get them with remote sensors/bulb that do work, (no
batteries purely mechanical)
It has a sensor linked to the valve with a capillary tube.

They are about 50% extra.
Google remote sensor TRV
http://www.myson.co.uk/products/remote_sensor_heads.asp

The problem I find with TRV's is that the scale graduations are too
course. A 2 or 3 degree difference is all within about a 10th of a
increment.
I find it useful to set them by listening carefully. Get the room to the
right temp and then slowly turn the control down until you hear the flow
being throttled or stopped. (works for me - if I listen carefully) Then
lock the control knob - or mark it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

2.236...

"R D S" wrote in message
[...]

You only think that. When you open the valve up, the surge of hot water
nearby shuts it down again pretty quickly.

Some times they are intalled on the cooler return pipe & sometimes with the
sensor head horizontal to try to overcome the probelm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday 02 October 2013 23:35 R D S wrote in uk.d-i-y:

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/electrica...averf-devices/
temperature_control/Thermostat-Radiator-Valve-Set-11937516?
skuId=12448222&_requestid=131939

I find TRVs ineffective but have been looking at some like the above, a
wall mounted thermostat linked to a trv.

But they seem to work off batteries, surely these can't last very long.

Anyone any experience of these?

Have a look he

http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/c...EA_17200/Home-
Automation-Systems

before going with a no-name B&Q thingy...

BTW - my school, like 30 years ago, had TRVs with wall mounted senders
linked by capillary tube. Simple, no batteries.

Or did you want the timer functionality too?

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , R D S wrote:
http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/electrica...averf-devices/
temperature_control/Thermostat-Radiator-Valve-Set-11937516?
skuId=12448222&_requestid=131939

I find TRVs ineffective but have been looking at some like the above, a
wall mounted thermostat linked to a trv.

But they seem to work off batteries, surely these can't last very long.

Anyone any experience of these?

I'm tempted by http://zwave-products.co.uk/shop/article_206/danfoss and
http://razberry.z-wave.me/, but no experience.

OT You fancy one of these then? harry Home Repair 10 October 3rd 10 05:48 PM
FANCY shock current UK diy 0 August 9th 09 12:57 PM
Fancy a screw? Tim S UK diy 37 November 30th 08 06:11 PM
Some fancy metalworking azotic Metalworking 15 September 13th 08 07:38 PM
Looking for plans for a Fancy Top Joe Comunale Woodturning 3 February 8th 04 01:57 AM