Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Which booster pump for the shower?

Hi folks,

Looking to fit a pump for the shower in the bathroom refurb. Haven't
decided on the shower yet, but it will be a standard thermostatic
one,with a 'normal' shower head, no extra body jets, or great big
watering can heads etc. Gravity water supply, tank will go by the base
of the HW tank.

I will also be using it to pump the supply to the bath and the HW to the
basin (cold on the mains), but this is as much because it makes the
plumbing easier as anything else (though does mean we can use a mixer on
the handbasin which we would prefer)

Intended to install in on a concrete slab, with old foam backed
carpet/foam sheet or whatever to reduce sound transmission. Dedicated
feed from the CW tank, feed from the HW tank via an Essex flange
probably

So any suggestions for a pump, and any tips for installation?

Considering a Stuart Turner Monsoon Twin 2.0 bar at the moment. Quality,
reliability, noise levels are probably as important to me as keeping the
cost down

Thanks

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/2013 00:27, chris French wrote:
[...]

I installed a Monsoon pump eleven years ago and it is still working fine
- had to replace the starting capacitor a couple of years ago but that
is the only maintenance it has had.

When I installed it the opinion here was that a cheap pump form one of
the sheds would only be expected to last a couple of years.

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/2013 08:41, Andrew May wrote:
[...]

+1 for Stuart Turner, I've had a couple of shed pumps lasting less than
five years. I have two in a loft, and have both of them mounted inside
small "cold water header tanks" with a drain into the shower tray, in
case of leaks. (Had a shed one leak, but never an ST).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

I have to ask - what is meant by 'shed pump'?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Max Quad
writes

"newshound" wrote in message
news:IsCdnXtOwL_ifdbPnZ2dnUVZ8hOdnZ2d@brightview. co.uk...

+1 for Stuart Turner, I've had a couple of shed pumps lasting less than
five years. I have two in a loft, and have both of them mounted inside
small "cold water header tanks" with a drain into the shower tray, in case
of leaks. (Had a shed one leak, but never an ST).

I have to ask - what is meant by 'shed pump'?

Generic pattern stuff sold in 'sheds' eg. B&Q. (It took me a couple of
minutes to catch on too)
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris French wrote:
[...]

How old is your tank? How quick is the reheating? Might be time to think
about a mains pressure tank.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
In article , Max Quad
writes

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...

+1 for Stuart Turner, I've had a couple of shed pumps lasting less than
five years. I have two in a loft, and have both of them mounted inside
small "cold water header tanks" with a drain into the shower tray, in case
of leaks. (Had a shed one leak, but never an ST).

I have to ask - what is meant by 'shed pump'?

Generic pattern stuff sold in 'sheds' eg. B&Q. (It took me a couple of
minutes to catch on too)

Usually grey & yellow, sometimes called 'Showerforce'. Ours only lasted 4-5
years which seems a fairly typical experience.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

Andrew May wrote:

the opinion here was that a cheap pump form one of
the sheds would only be expected to last a couple of years.

+1 for Stuart Turner, I've had a couple of shed pumps lasting less than
five years.

I had a showerforce (I think) that only lasted 3 years, replaced with a
Salamander, no problems in the 7 years since, probably not all-brass
like ST were/are, but well made all the same and a little cheaper.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
-septembe
r.org, Tim+ writes
chris French wrote:
[...]

Not sure, though if I rummage in the documentation left by the previous
owners I'd probably find something. But it is a relatively modern, foam
insulated tank It has obviously been replaced at some point, probably
when the boiler was replaced in IIRC 2002.

How quick is the reheating?

Well, it was poor, as it was a gravity HW system, with a bit of a
convoluted pipe run. But I have been in the process of converting it to
a pumped system (just need to re-wire up the controls really) So I'm
hoping much improved, but we will have to see.

Might be time to think
about a mains pressure tank.

Hmm, did ponder that a bit, but decided to stick with what we have (our
mains flowrate doesn't seem that good, and the water main is an old,
pretty small bore steel pipe). Maybe replace the tank with a fast
recovery one if the current one can't keep up.

But our normal usage pattern doesn't demand multiple showers all in a
row, and once I've done this, we are going to put an ensuite in, that
that will probably have it's own HW tank any

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I have a Mita Vigour power shower e.g. it has the pump built in. Very
pleased with it, 14 litres/min & the thermostatic control is excellent.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"chris French" wrote in message
-septembe

Might be time to think
about a mains pressure tank.

Hmm, did ponder that a bit, but decided to stick with what we have (our
mains flowrate doesn't seem that good, and the water main is an old,
pretty small bore steel pipe).

We have a mains pressure HW tank, it's great for keeping vast amounts of hot
water available but sometimes the mains pressure drops are a problem
(especially mornings, when everyone in the street is running a bath at the
same time). it can slow to an alarming degree, so much that the shower is
a thin drizzle.

I've wondered about the slightly selfish option of installing a boost pump
to pull extra volume in from the main supply, not sure if that's possible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:

I've wondered about the slightly selfish option of installing a boost pump
to pull extra volume in from the main supply, not sure if that's possible.

Possible, but not permissible.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Walker" wrote:
"chris French" wrote in message
-septembe

Might be time to think
about a mains pressure tank.

Hmm, did ponder that a bit, but decided to stick with what we have (our
mains flowrate doesn't seem that good, and the water main is an old,
pretty small bore steel pipe).

We have a mains pressure HW tank, it's great for keeping vast amounts of
hot water available but sometimes the mains pressure drops are a problem
(especially mornings, when everyone in the street is running a bath at
the same time). it can slow to an alarming degree, so much that the
shower is a thin drizzle.

Apart from sluggardly teenagers, who has a bath in the morning? Is this a
local custom?

I've wondered about the slightly selfish option of installing a boost
pump to pull extra volume in from the main supply, not sure if that's possible.

Illegal and potentially dangerous as you'd potentially pull the mains
pressure lower than the surrounding groundwater pressure which would draw
in mud/dirt/sewage through any small leaks that would be otherwise
harmless.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris French wrote:
In message -septembe
r.org, Tim+ writes
chris French wrote:
[...]

That should make a huge difference.

Might be time to think
about a mains pressure tank.

Hmm, did ponder that a bit, but decided to stick with what we have (our
mains flowrate doesn't seem that good, and the water main is an old,
pretty small bore steel pipe). Maybe replace the tank with a fast
recovery one if the current one can't keep up.

Fair enough. If your main supply is poor then a storage tank system makes
sense.

But our normal usage pattern doesn't demand multiple showers all in a
row, and once I've done this, we are going to put an ensuite in, that
that will probably have it's own HW tank any

Before we got our mains pressure tank we used our pump to pump the supply
to all taps which worked well. Our en-suite shower was some distance from
the tank but still worked well even with a lowly 1.2 bar (iirc) pump.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris J Dixon
writes
Steve Walker wrote:

I've wondered about the slightly selfish option of installing a boost pump
to pull extra volume in from the main supply, not sure if that's possible.

Possible, but not permissible.

Salamander now produce a pump designed for thr situation of poor mains
pressure/flow

http://www.home-boost.co.uk/

It says it's Water Regs compliant, which seems to mean that it boosts
upto a maximum of 12L/min. If the mains flow goes above that it stops
boosting.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message

rnal-september.org, Tim+ writes
chris French wrote:
In message
-septembe
r.org, Tim+ writes
chris French wrote:
Hi folks,

Looking to fit a pump for the shower in the bathroom refurb. Haven't
decided on the shower yet, but it will be a standard thermostatic
one,with a 'normal' shower head, no extra body jets, or great big
watering can heads etc. Gravity water supply, tank will go by the
base of the HW tank.

snip

But our normal usage pattern doesn't demand multiple showers all in a
row, and once I've done this, we are going to put an ensuite in, that
that will probably have it's own HW tank any

Before we got our mains pressure tank we used our pump to pump the supply
to all taps which worked well. Our en-suite shower was some distance from
the tank but still worked well even with a lowly 1.2 bar (iirc) pump.

Well, it's going to be a bit of suck it and see situation. It's a bit of
long and tortuous route from the HW tank to where the en suite will be
(it's a Victorian house, L shaped, which is basically two buildings
joined together. The lofts don't connect as one building is not as tall
as the other, nor are the upper floors on the same level. Getting
services from one bit to the other is a PITA really ) it might be
tedious waiting for HW to arrive, and I don't know how the capacity of
the HW tank will be with the extra shower.

So planning on both possibilities and will see how we go.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris French wrote:
In message , Chris J Dixon
writes
Steve Walker wrote:

I've wondered about the slightly selfish option of installing a boost pump
to pull extra volume in from the main supply, not sure if that's possible.

Possible, but not permissible.

Salamander now produce a pump designed for thr situation of poor mains pressure/flow

http://www.home-boost.co.uk/

It says it's Water Regs compliant, which seems to mean that it boosts
upto a maximum of 12L/min. If the mains flow goes above that it stops boosting.

I don't follow the logic of that. I can't see how that prevents negative
pressures in the mains supply.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
-septembe
r.org, Tim+ writes
chris French wrote:
In message , Chris J Dixon
writes
Steve Walker wrote:

I've wondered about the slightly selfish option of installing a boost pump
to pull extra volume in from the main supply, not sure if that's possible.

Possible, but not permissible.

Salamander now produce a pump designed for thr situation of poor
mains pressure/flow

http://www.home-boost.co.uk/

It says it's Water Regs compliant, which seems to mean that it boosts
upto a maximum of 12L/min. If the mains flow goes above that it stops
boosting.

I don't follow the logic of that. I can't see how that prevents negative
pressures in the mains supply.

No idea, I just had a quick look at the webpage (I only knew about it
cos I've been researching shower pumps lately ) Presumably there is more
too it, and that was just the simple for the consumer explanation.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris French wrote:

In message
-septembe
r.org, Tim+ writes
chris French wrote:

Salamander now produce a pump designed for thr situation of poor
mains pressure/flow

http://www.home-boost.co.uk/

It says it's Water Regs compliant, which seems to mean that it boosts
upto a maximum of 12L/min. If the mains flow goes above that it stops
boosting.

I don't follow the logic of that. I can't see how that prevents negative
pressures in the mains supply.

No idea, I just had a quick look at the webpage (I only knew about it
cos I've been researching shower pumps lately ) Presumably there is more
too it, and that was just the simple for the consumer explanation.

Seems to me that it might be designed to meet the letter of the
regulations, rather than their intent. I guess that it has never
previously been practicable to control to a flow rate, so the
question has never arisen.

I note that their FAQ states that it won't solve the problem of a
collapsed main water pipe. I wonder exactly what range of
parameters it will actually help with?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:

I've wondered about the slightly selfish option of installing a boost
pump
to pull extra volume in from the main supply, not sure if that's
possible.

Possible, but not permissible.

Salamander now produce a pump designed for thr situation of poor mains
pressure/flow

http://www.home-boost.co.uk/

It says it's Water Regs compliant, which seems to mean that it boosts upto
a maximum of 12L/min. If the mains flow goes above that it stops boosting.

Brilliant - one of those on each hot water tap, and we'll be sorted... :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2013 23:29, Steve Walker wrote:

Salamander now produce a pump designed for thr situation of poor mains
pressure/flow

http://www.home-boost.co.uk/

It says it's Water Regs compliant, which seems to mean that it boosts
upto a maximum of 12L/min. If the mains flow goes above that it stops
boosting.

Brilliant - one of those on each hot water tap, and we'll be sorted... :-)

Who believes blurb that states "•Say good bye to slow bath fill" when it
limits flow to 12l a minute?

12l a minute is slow, its only just enough for a proper shower.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:

Brilliant - one of those on each hot water tap, and we'll be sorted... :-)

http://www.home-boost.co.uk/FAQ

"Can it go on the hot water pipework?

No, the maximum temperature allowed to pass through the pump is
20 degrees. For pumps needed to supply hot water, other pumps in
the Salamander range would be more suitable."

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2013 09:44, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:

Brilliant - one of those on each hot water tap, and we'll be sorted... :-)

http://www.home-boost.co.uk/FAQ

"Can it go on the hot water pipework?

No, the maximum temperature allowed to pass through the pump is
20 degrees. For pumps needed to supply hot water, other pumps in
the Salamander range would be more suitable."

Chris

This summer I recorded a mains water temperature of 21 C.
Looks like GW has made the product a none starter in the UK.