Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default House booster pump as coolant pump??

Maybe you haven't read the reviews.. numerous buyers have returned up to 3
defective units within days or weeks.

One buyer claims it works well as a transfer pump for oil.

Another user explains that there is no design feature for preventing the
(plastic) pump case pressure from reaching 140 psi.. so essentially designed
to fail.

I would think that a centrifugal impeller could deliver more than adequate
flow for (clean) machine coolant.. just my guess though.
For more flow, use a larger impeller (bigger unit) or faster RPM, IMO.

--
WB

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
Such as:

http://www.harborfreight.com/34-hors...ing-68390.html

A 3/4 hp Graymills coolant pump, typical in cnc, is almost $500, and puts
out 30-35 psi.

The HF pump, judging from the total headlift, might be as much as 150 psi
(zero flow), and proly 60-90 psi, thru a cupla loclines. I have a few
machines that I would like to amp up the coolant psi. I would run
separate lines from this pump to the various machines, separate from the
existing centrifugal pumps..

The max flow is 1100 gph, or about 20 gal/min, which is certainly less
than a 3/4 graymills puts out, but enough for a few loclines, I would
think

The HF pump is on sale at $120, so at least psi-wise, would be a good
deal -- IF it can handle soluble oil. I would imagine I'd have to
filter/strain the coolant pretty well, unless the pump mechanism is
forgiving.

Opinions?
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
Maybe you haven't read the reviews.. numerous buyers have returned up to 3
defective units within days or weeks.

One buyer claims it works well as a transfer pump for oil.

Yeah, after he had to modify it!!

Another user explains that there is no design feature for preventing the
(plastic) pump case pressure from reaching 140 psi.. so essentially
designed to fail.

Yeah, I was having trouble getting to the reviews, now I got'em.
Goodgawd....
Altho one guy sez there is a simple fix to one problem, altho the details
are not clear.
140 psi in the plumbing can be more than a problem!!

Gotta give HF credit for letting 14 one-star reviews stay up, tho.... LOL

I would think that a centrifugal impeller could deliver more than adequate
flow for (clean) machine coolant.. just my guess though.
For more flow, use a larger impeller (bigger unit) or faster RPM, IMO.

Oh yeah, the flow is great with Graymills pumps, but I'm more concerned with
psi.
The poor pressure regulation of the HF unit wouldn't be an issue, either --
if it would just run and not explode!
I wonder if this unit would function a little better in my environment,
where it will never operate in zero flow/max pres. situations.

Appreciate the heads up, tho. If I do take a chance on this thing, I'll
know to install it right away, instead of letting it lay around for months,
like I usually do.
--
EA