Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ways to make windows translucent, temporarily?

Hi all,
I've taken over a building that I want to use as a workshop and will later
want to use it to a dwelling. While I am using it as a workshop, I'd like
to make the windows translucent so that inquisitive poeple can't see what's
inside. If it were a dwelling, I'd simply use net curtains, but that is not
a practicl option while I'm using it as a store/workshop. I wondered if
anyone knows any other temporary methods of making a window translucent
cheaply and temporarily. I'm reluctant to use any self-adhesive vinyl,
because I don't know how long I will be using the building as a workshop. I
guess that vinyl could become hard to remove after it has been sun-baked
for a few years. I wondered about using vaselene, but I think it might
attract airborn dust/bugs, etc. Can anyone offer any other ideas?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Al N wrote:

I've taken over a building that I want to use as a workshop and will later
want to use it to a dwelling. While I am using it as a workshop, I'd like
to make the windows translucent so that inquisitive poeple can't see what's
inside.

The trad. method during e.g. decoration, is simply to apply Windolene
quite thickly and not wipe it off, if you want something designed for
the job then perhaps a greenhouse shading paint?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, September 19, 2013 12:08:37 PM UTC+1, Al N wrote:
[...]

"frosting films" are cheapish and easily removable

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nk...0window%20film

sometimes appear in Aldidl too.

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-09-19, Al N wrote:

Hi all,
I've taken over a building that I want to use as a workshop and will later
want to use it to a dwelling. While I am using it as a workshop, I'd like
to make the windows translucent so that inquisitive poeple can't see what's
inside. If it were a dwelling, I'd simply use net curtains, but that is not
a practicl option while I'm using it as a store/workshop. I wondered if
anyone knows any other temporary methods of making a window translucent
cheaply and temporarily. I'm reluctant to use any self-adhesive vinyl,
because I don't know how long I will be using the building as a workshop. I
guess that vinyl could become hard to remove after it has been sun-baked
for a few years. I wondered about using vaselene, but I think it might
attract airborn dust/bugs, etc. Can anyone offer any other ideas?

Whitewash.

You can buy it from garden centres for greenhouses (I know this, because
my wife uses it on her greenhouse each summer) but I expect there are
cheaper sources.

Whitewashed windows during building or redecoration used to be a
common sight years ago. Not seen very often these days.

Windows coverd in newspaper is still often seen.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday 19 September 2013 12:39 Graham. wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Whitewashed windows during building or redecoration used to be a
common sight years ago. Not seen very often these days.

Yes it was - especially shops undergoing refurbishment.

I suspect it is because most builders now would say "what's whitewash"
whereas back then, everyone used it for something.

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Al N" wrote in message

[...]

Windolene. The old style white stuff. You are unlikely to find it in a
supermarket but probably can in the sort of shop that sells gardening bits
and pieces, ironmongery, firelighters and furniture polish etc.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mark wrote:

Windolene. The old style white stuff.

Now called "original cream" which sounds a bit like a Sherry ...

http://wilko.com/invt/0211407

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2013 12:08, Al N wrote:
[...]

You can get stick on window film to do what you want to do. I have used
some on my garage windows for about six years without any problems.

Try Ebay item No: 251327574005
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Al N
writes

Hi all,
I've taken over a building that I want to use as a workshop and will later
want to use it to a dwelling. While I am using it as a workshop, I'd like
to make the windows translucent so that inquisitive poeple can't see what's
inside. If it were a dwelling, I'd simply use net curtains, but that is not
a practicl option while I'm using it as a store/workshop. I wondered if
anyone knows any other temporary methods of making a window translucent
cheaply and temporarily. I'm reluctant to use any self-adhesive vinyl,
because I don't know how long I will be using the building as a workshop. I
guess that vinyl could become hard to remove after it has been sun-baked
for a few years. I wondered about using vaselene, but I think it might
attract airborn dust/bugs, etc. Can anyone offer any other ideas?

Not all the window films use adhesive, I think you can get ones that
work by exclusion of air and damp application, a bit like some road tax
holders.

Alternatively, drafting film (ether paper of plastic based) works for
this and you can hang it on net curtain type spring cord if you like. A0
size should be big enough and prob under a quid (or maybe I'm out of
date).
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Al N wrote:

Thanks for any suggestions,

http://www.wilko.com/greenhouse-acce...s/invt/7030040

Painted the outside of the conservatory roof earlier in the year, nearly
all gone now. That's outside in the weather - not sure how easy it would
be to remove

Cheap enough to try a little somewhere?

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote in news:235rga-357.ln1
@squidward.local.dionic.net:

On Thursday 19 September 2013 12:39 Graham. wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Whitewashed windows during building or redecoration used to be a
common sight years ago. Not seen very often these days.

Yes it was - especially shops undergoing refurbishment.

I suspect it is because most builders now would say "what's whitewash"
whereas back then, everyone used it for something.

I remember there was a trend of using Windowlene (and letting it dry,
without wiping it off) - for houses and shops that were in the process of
refurbishment. Is that the same effect you get with the greenhouse
whitewash stuff?

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Farmer Giles wrote in
o.uk:

You can get stick on window film to do what you want to do. I have used
some on my garage windows for about six years without any problems.

Do you think it will be easy to remove after six years?

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, September 19, 2013 12:08:37 PM UTC+1, Al N wrote:
I've taken over a building that I want to use as a workshop and will later
want to use it to a dwelling. While I am using it as a workshop, I'd like
to make the windows translucent so that inquisitive poeple can't see what's
inside.

Bubble wrap (smallish bubbles best).

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote in :

Not all the window films use adhesive, I think you can get ones that
work by exclusion of air and damp application, a bit like some road tax
holders.

Alternatively, drafting film (ether paper of plastic based) works for
this and you can hang it on net curtain type spring cord if you like. A0
size should be big enough and prob under a quid (or maybe I'm out of
date).

Thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions. I particularly like the
drafting film idea. It could be attached with bits of magic tape or
similar. The non-stick plastic frosting film also sounds good.

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2013 19:47, AL_n wrote:
Farmer Giles wrote in
o.uk:

You can get stick on window film to do what you want to do. I have used
some on my garage windows for about six years without any problems.

Do you think it will be easy to remove after six years?

Al

Yes. Although none it has peeled off itself during that time, and is
very firm and securely attached, I have removed some and it came off
very cleanly and easily.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, September 19, 2013 7:47:48 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Thursday, September 19, 2013 12:08:37 PM UTC+1, Al N wrote:

I've taken over a building that I want to use as a workshop and will later

want to use it to a dwelling. While I am using it as a workshop, I'd like

to make the windows translucent so that inquisitive poeple can't see what's

inside.

Bubble wrap (smallish bubbles best).

Owain

Shoe whitener. Available in a tube with an applicator under the cap. Very handy for this. Just wipe it over the window. No brushes or buckets to clean up afterwards and if the tube was left in situ touch up would be easy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Thursday, September 19, 2013 12:08:37 PM UTC+1, Al N wrote:

I've taken over a building that I want to use as a workshop and will
later

want to use it to a dwelling. While I am using it as a workshop, I'd
like

to make the windows translucent so that inquisitive poeple can't see
what's

inside.

Bubble wrap (smallish bubbles best).

Owain

Shoe whitener. Available in a tube with an applicator under the cap. Very
handy for this. Just wipe it over the window. No brushes or buckets to
clean up afterwards and if the tube was left in situ touch up would be
easy.

A few years ago I had an industrial unit with clear windows. Insurance
company recommended a security film that was floated on with water and a
squeegee and made it hard to break the glass. We had the option of clear or
translucent. It was relatively cheap and easy to apply.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Farmer Giles wrote in
o.uk:

Yes. Although none it has peeled off itself during that time, and is
very firm and securely attached, I have removed some and it came off
very cleanly and easily.

Could you tell me where you got it and the brand name? Many thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2013 18:29, AL_n wrote:
Farmer Giles wrote in
o.uk:

Yes. Although none it has peeled off itself during that time, and is
very firm and securely attached, I have removed some and it came off
very cleanly and easily.

Could you tell me where you got it and the brand name? Many thanks.

Sorry I can't help with that. Got it off Ebay, that's all I remember. It
was fairly standard stuff, as I recall - put on using soapy water.

This company will send you a sample for 99p.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3m-610mm-F.../190695611902?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to AL_n, wobblerobert wrote:
No its not for indoors its a strong alkali Window cleaner safer.or newspapers
or better spare lining paper nets or dustsheets

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ly-923051-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to spuorgelgoog, wobblerobert wrote:
Translucent Nice idea!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ly-923051-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Oh dear, the dreaded half baked Home owners naff portal to Usenet strikes
again.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"wobblerobert" m wrote in
message oupdirect.com...
replying to spuorgelgoog, wobblerobert wrote:
Translucent Nice idea!

--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ly-923051-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Oh dear, the dreaded half baked Home owners naff portal to Usenet strikes
again.
Brian

I remember contributing to that old thread.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%