Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Metric copper pipe?

I believe that copper plumbing pipe changed from 1/2" & 3/4" to 15mm &
22mm sometime in the 1970's, but does anyone recall exactly when?

I assume it was a gradual changeover? Or was it "from this date"?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Sep 2013 20:40:20 +0100, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

I believe that copper plumbing pipe changed from 1/2" & 3/4" to 15mm &
22mm sometime in the 1970's, but does anyone recall exactly when?

I assume it was a gradual changeover? Or was it "from this date"?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I believe that copper plumbing pipe changed from 1/2" & 3/4" to 15mm &
22mm sometime in the 1970's, but does anyone recall exactly when?

I assume it was a gradual changeover? Or was it "from this date"?

Around 1968/9-ish I was doing some improvements on a terraced house
and I think it slightly pre-dated that. I do recall that 3/4-to-22mm
conversion fittings were common at that time (I needed them), but they
became more difficult to get hold of in subsequent years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I believe that copper plumbing pipe changed from 1/2" & 3/4" to 15mm &
22mm sometime in the 1970's, but does anyone recall exactly when?

I assume it was a gradual changeover? Or was it "from this date"?

Around 1968/9-ish I was doing some improvements on a terraced house
and I think it slightly pre-dated that. I do recall that 3/4-to-22mm
conversion fittings were common at that time (I needed them), but they
became more difficult to get hold of in subsequent years.

The central heating system I installed starting in late 1971 maybe early
1972 was metric.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
also of course you could buy the imperial pipes and fittings for quite a
long time after metrication as well. These things tend to go slowly I
find.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
wrote:

I believe that copper plumbing pipe changed from 1/2" & 3/4" to 15mm &
22mm sometime in the 1970's, but does anyone recall exactly when?

I assume it was a gradual changeover? Or was it "from this date"?

Around 1968/9-ish I was doing some improvements on a terraced house
and I think it slightly pre-dated that. I do recall that 3/4-to-22mm
conversion fittings were common at that time (I needed them), but they
became more difficult to get hold of in subsequent years.

I remember it. We had to bash 1" elbows onto the copper pipe.
It was a **** up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, September 17, 2013 8:40:20 PM UTC+1, The Medway Handyman wrote:
I believe that copper plumbing pipe changed from 1/2" & 3/4" to 15mm &

22mm sometime in the 1970's, but does anyone recall exactly when?

I assume it was a gradual changeover? Or was it "from this date"?

1970, ISTR. before my time, so I'm a bit vague on details.

I'd think (no information) that both types were stocked for a time since existing systems would have all been imperial and merchants would have dropped the imperial range as demand dropped.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I believe that copper plumbing pipe changed from 1/2" & 3/4" to

15mm &
22mm sometime in the 1970's, but does anyone recall exactly when?

I assume it was a gradual changeover? Or was it "from this date"?

Our Laing-estate house was built in 1971 with Imperial size copper
plumbing.

--
Reentrant