geoff

Default LED domestic lighting

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

Prior to antiboitics, it was used to treat VD.

I remember Golden Eye Ointment ... ah, those were the days!

To treat VD?

--
geoff
Mary Fisher

Try a Google search on [ LED white replacement MR16] or [ LED white
replacement GU10 ] for more details. The power consumption is about 2-5
watts per bulb and the light output appears to be equivalent to a 20W
incandescent.

As already pointed out, this is impossible -- no one has
invented a white LED anywhere near efficient enough.
What is most likely to have been achieved is a very narrow
beam which has the same intensity as a very small part of
the wider beam from a regular MR16. If you want a very narrow
beam, that's perfect, otherwise it's tough.

Furthermore, it would be impossible to produce an MR16 white
LED lamp with same output as a halogen one, because the heat
output and therefore temperature rise would be same as a
halogen one, fairly instantly destroying the LEDs.

The makers quote 50,000 hours life, but a recent R4 news
item mentioned that 150,000 hours is more typical for an LED.

Life depends on temperature. You can make an LED last for as
long as you like by keeping it cool enough (doesn't actually
matter much if it's being used or not although using it
obviously warms the chip). If you want reliable operation
beyond 20 years, you would be looking to keep it below room
temperature. However the white ones present a second problem --
deterioration of the phosphor and the plastic package by UV
from the chip. The phosphor efficiency (which is a theoretical
maximum of only 50% to start with and even that is not achieved
in practice) will be very significantly reduced by 50000 hours
use.

sob

Might there be something produced in the next few years which might even
last only, say, twenty years? That would do me :-)

And that was a rhetorical question, a merry quip ...

Mary

--
Andrew Gabriel

geoff

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

Prior to antiboitics, it was used to treat VD.

I remember Golden Eye Ointment ... ah, those were the days!

To treat VD?

Golden Eye Ointment - EYE Ointment ... for the eyes ... it contained Hg as I
remember.

Then there was gripe water which soothed babies because of its alcohol
content. if it didn't work on the babies the mothers drank it. They took
that off the market too. Spoil everything, The Authorities.

You were meant to ROFL
--
geoff
Mary Fisher

Prior to antiboitics, it was used to treat VD.

I remember Golden Eye Ointment ... ah, those were the days!

To treat VD?

Golden Eye Ointment - EYE Ointment ... for the eyes ... it contained Hg

as I
remember.

Then there was gripe water which soothed babies because of its alcohol
content. if it didn't work on the babies the mothers drank it. They took
that off the market too. Spoil everything, The Authorities.

You were meant to ROFL

Oh. Sorry.

I'm sometimes a bit slow on the uptake, some folk send me a postcard to give
me time to work it out ...

Mary

--
geoff

Andrew McKay

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 23:02:21 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Then there was gripe water which soothed babies because of its alcohol
content. if it didn't work on the babies the mothers drank it. They took
that off the market too. Spoil everything, The Authorities.

Hey, have they taken gripe water off the market? That product was a
comfort to our two at times. Has something replaced it?

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk

Gnube

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 21:07:46 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

A nasty looking dwarf throws a knife at you.

No problem, I'll catch it in my teeth.

I'd pay to see that! ;O)

Take Care,
Gnube
{too thick for linux}
geoff

In message , Andrew McKay
writes
wrote:

Then there was gripe water which soothed babies because of its alcohol
content. if it didn't work on the babies the mothers drank it. They took
that off the market too. Spoil everything, The Authorities.

Hey, have they taken gripe water off the market? That product was a
comfort to our two at times. Has something replaced it?

Smirnoff Ice ?
--
geoff
Mary Fisher

wrote:

Then there was gripe water which soothed babies because of its alcohol
content. if it didn't work on the babies the mothers drank it. They took
that off the market too. Spoil everything, The Authorities.

Hey, have they taken gripe water off the market? That product was a
comfort to our two at times. Has something replaced it?

No idea. Oh - Calpol of course. I've witnessed babies stop whining as soon
as they see the bottle.

Our children were babies forty and more years ago and we didn't use any
proprietory medicines - through cussedness and poverty. What I did use to
some unexplained effect was what my Dad told me: pull out a red hot cinder
from the fire, put it in water and give sips to the child. No idea why it
worked.

And of course very few people have cinders now ...

Mary

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk

Mary Fisher

A nasty looking dwarf throws a knife at you.

No problem, I'll catch it in my teeth.

I'd pay to see that! ;O)

Wotchoo doing next weekend?

Mary

Take Care,
Gnube
{too thick for linux}

Hamish Marson

Mary Fisher wrote:

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

Prior to antiboitics, it was used to treat VD.

I remember Golden Eye Ointment ... ah, those were the days!

To treat VD?

Golden Eye Ointment - EYE Ointment ... for the eyes ... it contained Hg as
I remember.

Lots of eye ointments still do contain mercury. For example treatment of
conjunctivitis. Mercury is also used as a preservative in some contact lens
cleaners (Small yellow bottle. Can't remember the name. My optician told me
to stop using it, and it may be banned by now... )

Then there was gripe water which soothed babies because of its alcohol
content. if it didn't work on the babies the mothers drank it. They took
that off the market too. Spoil everything, The Authorities.

Really? My kids had that (And so did I apparently), and it was only 9 years
ago (In NZ then though) when we were buying it (Beer was cheaper though .

Mary

--
geoff

--

I don't suffer from Insanity... | Linux User #16396
I enjoy every minute of it... |

http://www.travellingkiwi.com/ |

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:
sob

Might there be something produced in the next few years which might even
last only, say, twenty years? That would do me :-)

Already exists -- Philips QL lamp (electrode-less compact fluorescent).
AFAIK, not available to the public because they are expensive and the
long life depends on specially designed fittings. Used for the back-
lighting of Big Ben's clock faces, amongst other things.

And that was a rhetorical question, a merry quip ...

Well, it had an answer...

--
Andrew Gabriel
jerrybuilt

Huge wrote:
"Mary Fisher" writes:
Someone else wrote, but Mary Fisher ham-fistedly munged
the attributions:
[ Mercury in immunisation injections ]
Which (very OT) has got to be a good argument in favour of
combined immunisations (HIB/MMR etc.) rather than half a
dozen separate ones.

That's true if you feel it necessary to immunise children
at all.

!!!!!!!!!

AOL. That statement implies MF does not think it necessary.
Maybe she does not think it's even a good idea!

!!!!!!!!!

Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com

Mary Fisher

Today's edition of the same programme brought lots of responses about this
matter.

The consensus was about the same as this ng's - but nothing like as full nor
as interesting.

Thanks, guys!

Mary

Another toolkit question Andrew McKay UK diy 32 July 15th 03 12:15 AM
lighting rose driving me nuts arrrr help!!!!!!!!! db UK diy 17 July 14th 03 10:23 PM
OT - Domestic Safe Sanj UK diy 9 July 11th 03 05:29 PM
Domestic RCCB tripping [email protected] UK diy 2 July 5th 03 11:30 PM
Sodium Lighting Tony UK diy 2 July 5th 03 02:25 PM