Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Drilling holes in a car number plate.

Last time I drilled a hole in a car number plate for a mounting screw
the drill caught on the plastic and put a crack in the plate.

How do I make sure that I don't make the same mistake?

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 18:38:17 +0100, Michael Chare wrote:

Last time I drilled a hole in a car number plate for a mounting screw
the drill caught on the plastic and put a crack in the plate.

How do I make sure that I don't make the same mistake?

Light pressure on the drill. If you go through from the back, it's less
likely to tear the backing from the plate.

Or use the sticky pads.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 12/09/2013 18:38, Michael Chare wrote:
Last time I drilled a hole in a car number plate for a mounting screw
the drill caught on the plastic and put a crack in the plate.

How do I make sure that I don't make the same mistake?

Place the number plate on a scrap block of wood and drill through the
plastic into the wood.

Light pressure, sharp drill.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Michael Chare mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorgDOTuk wrote:
Last time I drilled a hole in a car number plate for a mounting screw
the drill caught on the plastic and put a crack in the plate.

How do I make sure that I don't make the same mistake?

Slow speed sharp drill and take it gently. Start with a small drill and
work up.

--
*England has no kidney bank, but it does have a Liverpool.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/2013 18:38, Michael Chare wrote:
Last time I drilled a hole in a car number plate for a mounting screw
the drill caught on the plastic and put a crack in the plate.

How do I make sure that I don't make the same mistake?

I fit quite a lot of plates (due to towing_ ... just drill a clearance
hole for screw ... sharp drill with wood support underneath. Drill's
easy enough.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/13 18:38, Michael Chare wrote:
Last time I drilled a hole in a car number plate for a mounting screw
the drill caught on the plastic and put a crack in the plate.

How do I make sure that I don't make the same mistake?

Block of wood against the plate, drill through the plate into the wood.