Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Screw for number plate

Hi,

I have just bought a new bumper, had it sprayed and am now ready to put my
number plate on it. It doesn't have any holes where the number plate goes so
I guess I need to drill some ? or push the screw in then screw it in ?

Just wondering what kind of screws I need ?

The screws on there now are fairly rusty and I guess it would do no harm in
buying some new ones.

Thanks
(not a troll, just never screwed a number plate on)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2007 20:20, James wrote:

I have just bought a new bumper, had it sprayed and am now ready to put my
number plate on it. It doesn't have any holes where the number plate goes so
I guess I need to drill some ? or push the screw in then screw it in ?

I think it's normal to use strong double sided tape nowadays, the bolt
heads are purely used to help make the number plate look vaguely like
somebody's name.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

"James" wrote in message
Hi,

I have just bought a new bumper, had it sprayed and am now ready to put my
number plate on it. It doesn't have any holes where the number plate goes
so I guess I need to drill some ? or push the screw in then screw it in ?

Just wondering what kind of screws I need ?

The screws on there now are fairly rusty and I guess it would do no harm
in buying some new ones.

Thanks
(not a troll, just never screwed a number plate on)
sticky pads for number plates

http://www.tapes-direct.co.uk/index....FQUoZAodl2DyGA

or number plate bolts

http://www.classic-car-accessories.c...log/index.html

Myself I usually use a couple of stainless steel self tappers about 4mm dia
by 25mm long after having drilled clearance holes in the plate and pilot
holes in the bumper

Really depends on hoe easy it is to get at the back of the holes

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 22:27:45 +0100, "TMC" wrote:

"James" wrote in message
[...]

And if you use screws and want hide the heads you can get plastic
things that you put the screws through and snap a lid shut so it
hides the screw heads
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 19:28:58 UTC, Andy Burns
wrote:

On 27/08/2007 20:20, James wrote:

I have just bought a new bumper, had it sprayed and am now ready to put my
number plate on it. It doesn't have any holes where the number plate goes so
I guess I need to drill some ? or push the screw in then screw it in ?

I think it's normal to use strong double sided tape nowadays, the bolt
heads are purely used to help make the number plate look vaguely like
somebody's name.

The police have had a campaign round here to use security screws.
Apparently large numbers of number plates have been nicked in
Sittingbourne recently. Worth a thought.
http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 27/08/2007 20:20, James wrote:

I have just bought a new bumper, had it sprayed and am now ready to put
my
number plate on it. It doesn't have any holes where the number plate
goes so
I guess I need to drill some ? or push the screw in then screw it in ?

I think it's normal to use strong double sided tape nowadays, the bolt
heads are purely used to help make the number plate look vaguely like
somebody's name.

The police have had a campaign round here to use security screws.
Apparently large numbers of number plates have been nicked in
Sittingbourne recently. Worth a thought.

Interetsing what kind of security screws might they be ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 27/08/2007 20:20, James wrote:

I have just bought a new bumper, had it sprayed and am now ready to
put my
number plate on it. It doesn't have any holes where the number plate
goes so
I guess I need to drill some ? or push the screw in then screw it in ?

I think it's normal to use strong double sided tape nowadays, the bolt
heads are purely used to help make the number plate look vaguely like
somebody's name.

The police have had a campaign round here to use security screws.
Apparently large numbers of number plates have been nicked in
Sittingbourne recently. Worth a thought.

Interetsing what kind of security screws might they be ?

They are useing standard clutch heads. The thinking is to get the plate off
you will have to break the plate. Any broken plate will get more interest
from the Plod...