Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A new impossible problem

I need to clean and repaint the back wall of the house.
The wall is about 4 metres high and 2 metres off the ground. It's 6 metres wide.
http://i43.tinypic.com/29c1fmr.jpg

Below the wall is clear plastic roofing that cannot be walked on or ladders rested on. I need to put some scaffolding up somehow. Preferably using whatever equipment I have lying around!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message
I need to clean and repaint the back wall of the house.
The wall is about 4 metres high and 2 metres off the ground. It's 6 metres
wide.
http://i43.tinypic.com/29c1fmr.jpg

Below the wall is clear plastic roofing that cannot be walked on or
ladders rested on. I need to put some scaffolding up somehow. Preferably
using whatever equipment I have lying around!

The proper way to do it is with a gantry between two towers, youwould have
to get someone in.

You might try filling the corrugations below with cement /above the roof
supports so you could lay a plank directly on the plastic & then use a
ladder. Bit dodgy though. Things could slide, it would all have to be
carefully lashed/ supported.

You would want a safety harness.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/09/2013 05:29, Matty F wrote:
I need to clean and repaint the back wall of the house.
The wall is about 4 metres high and 2 metres off the ground. It's 6 metres wide.
http://i43.tinypic.com/29c1fmr.jpg

Below the wall is clear plastic roofing that cannot be walked on or ladders rested on. I need to put some scaffolding up somehow. Preferably using whatever equipment I have lying around!

I notice some sort of timber/metal bar coming from the wall over the top
of the plastic from the middle of the house. Is this cable of taking
your weight?

If so, you could build up from the left hand side of the roof with the
plastic on it, and on the right, and then put boards across - so the
weight won't be going on the plastic.

If not, can't the plastic roof take weight without cracking if you
spread it out with boards and putting soft packing underneath them?
Looks like a load bearing wall under the roof in the middle. I can't
really see what support the plastic has, or how old and brittle it is.

I have a vaguely similar problem where I have to paint the gable end of
my house above another pitched (slate) roof. In my case I think I can
either use a roof ladder + roller with long handle, or in extremis a
cherry picker, but it looks as though a cherry picker may not be
accessible for you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Piers" wrote in message ...

[...]

Remove the plastic roofing sheets, paint wall off ladders, replace plastic
roofing sheets - simples !

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, September 7, 2013 7:00:23 PM UTC+12, Piers wrote:
[...]

The bar coming down from the middle is a plastic downpipe. Today I removed that, and screwed a 120mm bolt into the framing and attached a bracket that clamps around a ladder. I was thinking of attaching another ladder on one side of the house and putting a plank between the ladders, with a handrail. All I need to do now is to support the bottom of the ladder. I could screw it on to the wall, or build a platform for it somehow.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 07/09/2013 08:20, Matty F wrote:

The bar coming down from the middle is a plastic downpipe. Today I removed that, and screwed a 120mm bolt into the framing and attached a bracket that clamps around a ladder. I was thinking of attaching another ladder on one side of the house and putting a plank between the ladders, with a handrail. All I need to do now is to support the bottom of the ladder. I could screw it on to the wall, or build a platform for it somehow.

I'm astonished that this extension was created without any thought being
given to painting the wall above it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:
I need to clean and repaint the back wall of the house.
The wall is about 4 metres high and 2 metres off the ground. It's 6 metres wide.
http://i43.tinypic.com/29c1fmr.jpg

Below the wall is clear plastic roofing that cannot be walked on or
ladders rested on. I need to put some scaffolding up somehow. Preferably
using whatever equipment I have lying around!

Would some large (eg, 8x4ft) sheets of ply spread the load enough to put a
ladder on the flat(ish) roof?

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, September 7, 2013 7:32:53 PM UTC+12, GB wrote:

I'm astonished that this extension was created without any thought being

given to painting the wall above it.

Yes. All I can say is that it was architect designed. I put the weatherboards on 20 years ago and painted them. I can't remember how! And I replaced the plastic roof 10 years ago. I don't really want to remove it. Besides it might rain on my kitchen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, September 7, 2013 7:39:46 PM UTC+12, Tim+ wrote:
Matty F wrote:

I need to clean and repaint the back wall of the house.

The wall is about 4 metres high and 2 metres off the ground. It's 6 metres wide.

http://i43.tinypic.com/29c1fmr.jpg

Below the wall is clear plastic roofing that cannot be walked on or

ladders rested on. I need to put some scaffolding up somehow. Preferably

using whatever equipment I have lying around!

Would some large (eg, 8x4ft) sheets of ply spread the load enough to put a

ladder on the flat(ish) roof?

Brilliant! I have a lot of 8x4 sheets of ply. I will certainly use them somehow.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/09/2013 05:29, Matty F wrote:

I need to clean and repaint the back wall of the house.
The wall is about 4 metres high and 2 metres off the ground. It's 6 metres wide.
http://i43.tinypic.com/29c1fmr.jpg

Below the wall is clear plastic roofing that cannot be walked on or ladders rested on. I need to put some scaffolding up somehow. Preferably using whatever equipment I have lying around!

Stand at a distance with a long handled stiff brush/whatever to clean
off and a paintbrush on a stick to paint. As an alternative to a paint
brush have you considered spray painting?

--
Roger Chapman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What setup do you recommend for long distance applications?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/09/2013 05:29, Matty F wrote:
I need to clean and repaint the back wall of the house.
The wall is about 4 metres high and 2 metres off the ground. It's 6 metres wide.
http://i43.tinypic.com/29c1fmr.jpg

Below the wall is clear plastic roofing that cannot be walked on or ladders rested on. I need to put some scaffolding up somehow. Preferably using whatever equipment I have lying around!

hire a cherry picker......

Stephen
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, September 7, 2013 8:26:49 PM UTC+12, Stephen wrote:
On 07/09/2013 05:29, Matty F wrote:

I need to clean and repaint the back wall of the house.

The wall is about 4 metres high and 2 metres off the ground. It's 6 metres wide.

http://i43.tinypic.com/29c1fmr.jpg

Below the wall is clear plastic roofing that cannot be walked on or ladders rested on. I need to put some scaffolding up somehow. Preferably using whatever equipment I have lying around!

hire a cherry picker......

A cherry picker can't be got around that side of the house. There's an 800mm wide path between the house and a very high bank.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:

A cherry picker can't be got around that side of the house. There's an 800mm wide path between the house and a very high bank.

There are some very nifty spider platforms around these days,
though I don't know exactly how small they get.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Matty F writes
Would some large (eg, 8x4ft) sheets of ply spread the load enough to put a

ladder on the flat(ish) roof?

Brilliant! I have a lot of 8x4 sheets of ply. I will certainly use them
somehow.

Does this mean it is Spring in the Antipodes?

How about creating *softeners* by moulding a strip of expanding foam to
your roof profile and positioning these along the roof supporting
timbers. Then use rigid crawling boards to support your ladder. I think
the 8x4 will flex too much under the point loading of a ladder but you
could stiffen it by screwing two sheets together spaced by three 4x2s.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday 07 September 2013 05:29 Matty F wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I need to clean and repaint the back wall of the house.
The wall is about 4 metres high and 2 metres off the ground. It's 6 metres
wide. http://i43.tinypic.com/29c1fmr.jpg

Below the wall is clear plastic roofing that cannot be walked on or
ladders rested on. I need to put some scaffolding up somehow. Preferably
using whatever equipment I have lying around!

What's the green corrugated roofing either side made of?

Would it and the central "bar" over the transparant roof support 2-3
scaffold planks on blocks on spreader sheets of ply?

I'm thinking if you could span the platic with 2-3 planks bolted togther and
tied to the house so they cannot slide backwards, you may have a base for a
ladder.

What sort of span are we talking about? I cannot tell from the photo, but I
suspect the planks would need to be stiffened too.

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, September 7, 2013 9:17:13 PM UTC+12, Tim Watts wrote:

What's the green corrugated roofing either side made of?

Would it and the central "bar" over the transparant roof support 2-3

scaffold planks on blocks on spreader sheets of ply?

I'm thinking if you could span the platic with 2-3 planks bolted togther and

tied to the house so they cannot slide backwards, you may have a base for a

ladder.

What sort of span are we talking about? I cannot tell from the photo, but I

suspect the planks would need to be stiffened too.

There's corrugated iron on each side of the plastic, and a tiny bit of iron in the middle that I can walk on. The plywood can rest on the iron in the middle. All I need to do now is to rest the ladder on something about a foot high, as at the moment the ladder is dangling from a clamp up the top.
I'll make a box and attach it to the plywood. I'll attach another ladder and a plank and a handrail, and use a harness when I'm up there.
I don't think the architect knew that I decided to put plastic roof there. Being the south side of the house, of course it gets no sunlight!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Sep 2013 09:40:10 +0100, Chris J Dixon wrote:

A cherry picker can't be got around that side of the house.

There's an
800mm wide path between the house and a very high bank.

There are some very nifty spider platforms around these days,
though I don't know exactly how small they get.

Think they'd go through 800 mm, wether they would have enough side
reach at the required heights is another matter.

Personally I'd not faff about with home brewed solutions with
ladders, 8x4, brackets etc. Just get some proper scaffolders in,
they'll have the proper trusses to span the plastic roof, provide
stable working platform(s) so you can get to any part any time
without having to move anything.

Over here scaffolding is cheap, the bulk of the cost is labour
erecting/removing, you normally get 4 weeks or long rental in the
price and then a small (few tens of pounds) weekly rent after that. A
very rough guesstimate for this would be less than £500 and well
worth it for easy and safe access everywhere.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Piers" wrote in message ...

On 07/09/2013 05:29, Matty F wrote:
I need to clean and repaint the back wall of the house.
The wall is about 4 metres high and 2 metres off the ground. It's 6
metres wide.
http://i43.tinypic.com/29c1fmr.jpg

Below the wall is clear plastic roofing that cannot be walked on or
ladders rested on. I need to put some scaffolding up somehow. Preferably
using whatever equipment I have lying around!

you.

Remove the plastic roofing sheets, paint wall off ladders, replace plastic
roofing sheets - simples !

That is exactly what my neighbour did.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:
I need to clean and repaint the back wall of the house.
The wall is about 4 metres high and 2 metres off the ground. It's 6 metres wide.
http://i43.tinypic.com/29c1fmr.jpg

Below the wall is clear plastic roofing that cannot be walked on or ladders rested on.

I need to put some scaffolding up somehow. Preferably using whatever
equipment I have lying around!
How difficult would it be to take out a few of the plastic sheets? We
did that one time for an aerial install, because the sheets were very
easy to lift out. Otherwise, it's a scaff tower at both ends and a wide
platform between the two. Scaffolding hire/erection is not all that
expensive.
It doesn't look as if you could get a cherry picker in there.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:
"Piers" wrote in message ...

On 07/09/2013 05:29, Matty F wrote:
I need to clean and repaint the back wall of the house.
The wall is about 4 metres high and 2 metres off the ground. It's 6
metres wide.
http://i43.tinypic.com/29c1fmr.jpg

Below the wall is clear plastic roofing that cannot be walked on or
ladders rested on. I need to put some scaffolding up somehow.
Preferably using whatever equipment I have lying around!

you.

Remove the plastic roofing sheets, paint wall off ladders, replace
plastic roofing sheets - simples !

That is exactly what my neighbour did.

And if you do add some upstands designed to take a removable platform.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
On 07/09/2013 08:20, Matty F wrote:

The bar coming down from the middle is a plastic downpipe. Today I
removed that, and screwed a 120mm bolt into the framing and attached a
bracket that clamps around a ladder. I was thinking of attaching
another ladder on one side of the house and putting a plank between
the ladders, with a handrail. All I need to do now is to support the
bottom of the ladder. I could screw it on to the wall, or build a
platform for it somehow.

I'm astonished that this extension was created without any thought being
given to painting the wall above it.

It happens all the time. And you be surprised how many people build
conservatories below aerials and dishes. Then they get a big bill when
the aerial or dish needs attention.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
Matty F wrote:
I need to clean and repaint the back wall of the house.
The wall is about 4 metres high and 2 metres off the ground. It's 6 metres wide.
http://i43.tinypic.com/29c1fmr.jpg

Below the wall is clear plastic roofing that cannot be walked on or
ladders rested on. I need to put some scaffolding up somehow. Preferably
using whatever equipment I have lying around!

Would some large (eg, 8x4ft) sheets of ply spread the load enough to put a
ladder on the flat(ish) roof?

Tim

If you could get some more sheets of plastic exactly the same you could
put them down over areas of the existing ones as reinforcement. Then put
some 8x4s down. It would all need to be securely tied.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

Seconded. Although we always pass the cost on to the customer!

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/09/2013 12:43, Bill Wright wrote:
Muddymike wrote:
"Piers" wrote in message ...

On 07/09/2013 05:29, Matty F wrote:
I need to clean and repaint the back wall of the house.
The wall is about 4 metres high and 2 metres off the ground. It's 6
metres wide.
http://i43.tinypic.com/29c1fmr.jpg

Below the wall is clear plastic roofing that cannot be walked on or
ladders rested on. I need to put some scaffolding up somehow.
Preferably using whatever equipment I have lying around!

you.

Remove the plastic roofing sheets, paint wall off ladders, replace
plastic roofing sheets - simples !

That is exactly what my neighbour did.

And if you do add some upstands designed to take a removable platform.

Bill

This is one of the reasons that when I built our conservatory, I built
around 900mm of brick wall and a "flat" roof on the back of the house,
with the conservatory on the back of that. A perfect work platform and
also useable as an escape route from the first floor windows.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 07/09/2013 12:48, Bill Wright wrote:

Personally I'd not faff about with home brewed solutions with
ladders, 8x4, brackets etc. Just get some proper scaffolders in,
they'll have the proper trusses to span the plastic roof, provide
stable working platform(s) so you can get to any part any time
without having to move anything.
Over here scaffolding is cheap, the bulk of the cost is labour
erecting/removing, you normally get 4 weeks or long rental in the
price and then a small (few tens of pounds) weekly rent after that. A
very rough guesstimate for this would be less than £500 and well
worth it for easy and safe access everywhere.

Seconded. Although we always pass the cost on to the customer!

At a family wedding recently, I was talking to a gentleman who broke his
back falling off a ladder whilst helping to paint the local scout hut.
He didn't even fall very far, yet his life is completely changed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Matty F wrote:
I need to clean and repaint the back wall of the house.
The wall is about 4 metres high and 2 metres off the ground. It's 6
metres wide.
http://i43.tinypic.com/29c1fmr.jpg

Below the wall is clear plastic roofing that cannot be walked on or
ladders rested on.

Get someone with one of those remote controlled quadrocopters, attach a long
handled paint brush to the bottom of it, and get the 'operator' to fly it
from the paint can, to the wall, then fly up and down the wall between each
trip back to the paint can

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:

I need to clean and repaint the back wall of the house.

The wall is about 4 metres high and 2 metres off the ground. It's 6

metres wide.

http://i43.tinypic.com/29c1fmr.jpg

Below the wall is clear plastic roofing that cannot be walked on or

ladders rested on.

Get someone with one of those remote controlled quadrocopters, attach a long

handled paint brush to the bottom of it, and get the 'operator' to fly it

from the paint can, to the wall, then fly up and down the wall between each

trip back to the paint can

There was some rot to cut out and fix new timber. Can't do that from a distance.
I have just waterblasted one half using my scaffolding that I made out of ladders:
http://i39.tinypic.com/rhl7oy.jpg

Ready to sand and paint tomorrow if it's fine!
I did use plywood over the plastic roof. That is excellent and could easily stand having ladders on it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, September 18, 2013 4:58:34 AM UTC+1, Matty F wrote:

I have just waterblasted one half using my scaffolding that I made out of ladders:

http://i39.tinypic.com/rhl7oy.jpg

That picture brings to my mind the following words;
award, darwin, organ and donor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:

I need to clean and repaint the back wall of the house.
The wall is about 4 metres high and 2 metres off the ground. It's 6
metres wide.
http://i43.tinypic.com/29c1fmr.jpg

There was some rot to cut out and fix new timber. Can't do that from a distance.
I have just waterblasted one half using my scaffolding that I made out of ladders:
http://i39.tinypic.com/rhl7oy.jpg
Ready to sand and paint tomorrow if it's fine!
I did use plywood over the plastic roof. That is excellent and could easily stand having ladders on it.

I trust that lot's tethered somewhere. Otherwise if you push on the wall, over the scaffolding goes.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:

I need to clean and repaint the back wall of the house.

The wall is about 4 metres high and 2 metres off the ground. It's 6

metres wide.

http://i43.tinypic.com/29c1fmr.jpg

There was some rot to cut out and fix new timber. Can't do that from a distance.

I have just waterblasted one half using my scaffolding that I made out of ladders:

http://i39.tinypic.com/rhl7oy.jpg

Ready to sand and paint tomorrow if it's fine!

I did use plywood over the plastic roof. That is excellent and could easily stand having ladders on it.

I trust that lot's tethered somewhere. Otherwise if you push on the wall, over the scaffolding goes.

As I said before, the ladders are bolted to the house framing with 120mm bolts.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Matty F scribeth thus

Matty F wrote:

I need to clean and repaint the back wall of the house.

The wall is about 4 metres high and 2 metres off the ground. It's 6

metres wide.

http://i43.tinypic.com/29c1fmr.jpg

There was some rot to cut out and fix new timber. Can't do that from a

distance.

I have just waterblasted one half using my scaffolding that I made out of

ladders:

http://i39.tinypic.com/rhl7oy.jpg

Ready to sand and paint tomorrow if it's fine!

I did use plywood over the plastic roof. That is excellent and could easily

stand having ladders on it.

I trust that lot's tethered somewhere. Otherwise if you push on the wall, over

the scaffolding goes.

As I said before, the ladders are bolted to the house framing with 120mm bolts.

Fine then...

Surely they'd be a few bits of Tram line in it somewhere, doesn't quite
seem a "Matty" project otherwise...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:

On Wednesday, September 18, 2013 9:30:53 PM UTC+12, wrote:

http://i43.tinypic.com/29c1fmr.jpg

I trust that lot's tethered somewhere. Otherwise if you push on the wall, over the scaffolding goes.

As I said before, the ladders are bolted to the house framing with 120mm bolts.

You could have put a few "comedy" milk crates and paint tins around the
base for the neighbour's benefit ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Sep 2013 11:39:14 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

In article ,
Matty F scribeth thus

As I said before, the ladders are bolted to the house framing with 120mm bolts.

Fine then...

But he doesn't say what thread they are ...16BA?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 15:15:36 +0100, The Other Mike wrote:

On Wed, 18 Sep 2013 11:39:14 +0100, tony sayer
wrote:

In article ,
Matty F scribeth thus

As I said before, the ladders are bolted to the house framing with
120mm bolts.

Fine then...

But he doesn't say what thread they are ...16BA?

Knowing Matty, they could be M120 :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, September 7, 2013 4:29:01 PM UTC+12, Matty F wrote:
I need to clean and repaint the back wall of the house.
The wall is about 4 metres high and 2 metres off the ground. It's 6 metres wide.
http://i43.tinypic.com/29c1fmr.jpg

Below the wall is clear plastic roofing that cannot be walked on or ladders rested on. I need to put some scaffolding up somehow. Preferably using whatever equipment I have lying around!

OK, here's the finished job:
http://i39.tinypic.com/2e2qkv8.jpg
Plywood on the plastic roof made the job easy, but I did bolt ladders to the house. I have left the bolts there for next time, in 15 years!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Tim+, MattyF wrote:
This is how I painted the back of the house. Just testing images. Do they
work? Why are the sides cropped?
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/k2