Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sticky tape

Poser for the team. I have two bits of PVC(?) plastic sheet to attach
together; the sort of thick, flexible black stuff that projector screens
are made of (cos that's what they are.) I need to extend one, so it
drops lower, by splicing in a plain section (pinched from the old
screen) between the motorised drum and the top of the screen material.

Can anyone recommend a sticky substance that'll do the job? Double sided
tape? Glue? It's a fairly smooth surface and hopefully will sit flat
enough to take a tape without rucking itself stupid.

Looking at the old one, which may have been extended post-manufacture,
attaching the two bits of material together seems to have been done with
some form of gloopy, non-setting double sided tape or glue. The two
pieces are overlapped by about 35mm and the material hangs vertically so
the joint is effectively in shear.

Attaching to the drum shouldn't be too hard. Probably a bit of gaffa
tape would do that happily plus the remains of what was used on the
donor screen.

--
Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, September 3, 2013 12:29:57 AM UTC+1, Scott M wrote:

[...]

Have you tested it with solv weld? You might be in luck.

Gaffa is just duct tape without decent stick.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bob Minchin
writes

If you use a ds tape make sure it is fabric reinforced otherwise it will
stretch as you pull it off the roll and then contract later and make the
screen cockle.

Strange, all I've used have had a paper backing to stop them sticking to
themselves and that has stopped the risk of stretching.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
In article , Bob Minchin
writes

If you use a ds tape make sure it is fabric reinforced otherwise it will
stretch as you pull it off the roll and then contract later and make the
screen cockle.

Strange, all I've used have had a paper backing to stop them sticking to
themselves and that has stopped the risk of stretching.

The backing is paper but the glue is impregnated into a coarse woven
fabric.
At least let the tape relax a while after taking off the reel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

My experience of flexible PVC is that the glue on any kind of adhesive tape ends up turning gloopy or eventually slimy due to migration of the plasticiser used to make the PVC flexible into the glue; most of the joints I see that were made in the manufacture of these things seem to be welded.
In the short term double sided tape should do fine but if it needs to last you may have to be prepared to remove it and re-do the joint at some point when the glue has lost too much strength.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Sep 2013 00:29:57 +0100, Scott M
wrote:

[...]

How about a simple sewing job, probably zig-zag stitch to minimise
risk of tearing along the needle holes?
--
Dave W

Sticky foam tape GB UK diy 7 January 20th 12 01:54 PM
Double Sticky Tape With Foam Between Surfaces ? Robert11 Home Repair 11 December 4th 06 04:22 AM
Where can get sticky tape that actually works VisionSet UK diy 0 April 25th 06 01:45 AM
Where can get sticky tape that actually works The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 0 April 25th 06 12:25 AM
Solvent for Scotch sticky tape glue john2 UK diy 5 February 28th 06 09:47 PM