Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Displaying Digital Photos in Correct Orientation

I know it's OT but I've posted this on uk.rec.photo.misc but there
doesn't seem to be much activity there, so thought someone here might
have some ideas!

On my PC I have a library, organised as a set of structured folders,
of about 9000 photos.

Dowloaded straight from the camera, pictures taken in portrait
orientation always display in landscape, so I rotate them back to
portrait using either my viewer (an old version of ACDSee) or editing
program (Corel PaintShop Photo), rename the files to something
meaningful then move them into the library. Fine so far, and they
display properly (i.e. in the corect orientation) on the PC.

However, I have recently uploaded all the photos to my SkyDrive,
mainly as an offsite backup (I also have local backups on external
hard drives). I have noticed on SkyDrive that all (I think) of the
portrait photos are displaying as landscape. This also happens when I
upload them to a media player that I have.

Any idea what's causing this, and how I can rectify it? Is it
something in the EXIF info maybe? It's going to be a pain going
through all 9000 to identify which ones are displaying incorrectly and
then correcting it!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davidm wrote:

However, I have recently uploaded all the photos to my SkyDrive,
mainly as an offsite backup (I also have local backups on external
hard drives). I have noticed on SkyDrive that all (I think) of the
portrait photos are displaying as landscape. This also happens when I
upload them to a media player that I have.

There's a bit of EXIF data that specifies the orientation the photo was
taken in, but it's only relatively recently been supported all over.
That you had to rotate them in ACDSee[1] means you were using a version
that didn't understand this EXIF value (which the camera was generating
originally) so, when you rotated it, it didn't update it. Result: a
photo that's got its portrait bit set that's then been physically
rotated so when it's displayed the s/w rotates it another 90deg.

Some s/w offers the option of ignoring the rotate value which would keep
the backward compatibility.

[1] Sounds like the version I used to use. 4 or so. Got it off a cover
disc somewhere.

--
Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/08/2013 16:09, Davidm wrote:
[...]

The problem is caused by the fact that some applications take account of
the orientation information in the Exif data, and some don't. If you've
manually rotated some photos and want them to stay rotated, you need to
get rid of the Exif data. Applications such as IrfanView (free!) have a
batch conversion facility which enables you to rename, resize, etc. and
which also provides an option as to whether the original Exif data is to
be retained. This might be worth experimenting with.
--
Cheers,
Roger