Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davidm Davidm is offline

Default OT - Displaying Digital Photos in Correct Orientation

I know it's OT but I've posted this on uk.rec.photo.misc but there
doesn't seem to be much activity there, so thought someone here might
have some ideas!

On my PC I have a library, organised as a set of structured folders,
of about 9000 photos.

Dowloaded straight from the camera, pictures taken in portrait
orientation always display in landscape, so I rotate them back to
portrait using either my viewer (an old version of ACDSee) or editing
program (Corel PaintShop Photo), rename the files to something
meaningful then move them into the library. Fine so far, and they
display properly (i.e. in the corect orientation) on the PC.

However, I have recently uploaded all the photos to my SkyDrive,
mainly as an offsite backup (I also have local backups on external
hard drives). I have noticed on SkyDrive that all (I think) of the
portrait photos are displaying as landscape. This also happens when I
upload them to a media player that I have.

Any idea what's causing this, and how I can rectify it? Is it
something in the EXIF info maybe? It's going to be a pain going
through all 9000 to identify which ones are displaying incorrectly and
then correcting it!