Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Duff microwave oven

In article ,
"ARW" writes:
I do not have a model number and it is a combi microwave.

All appears well but the microwave oven bit does not work (it goes through
the motions but does not actually heat anything up). I took the cover off
and the 5kV .8A fuse had blown.

A new fuse is £2 but what should I be looking at before just replacing the
fuse. Fuses seldom blow without reason.

A shorted HV rectifier or shorted HV capacitor would blow it.

Also, if the magnetron has somehow suffered a catastrophic internal
failure, it might end up with the anode and cathode shorted, but that
seems unlikely.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"ARW" writes:
I do not have a model number and it is a combi microwave.

All appears well but the microwave oven bit does not work (it goes
through the motions but does not actually heat anything up). I took
the cover off and the 5kV .8A fuse had blown.

A new fuse is £2 but what should I be looking at before just
replacing the fuse. Fuses seldom blow without reason.

A shorted HV rectifier or shorted HV capacitor would blow it.

Also, if the magnetron has somehow suffered a catastrophic internal
failure, it might end up with the anode and cathode shorted, but that
seems unlikely.

Well I am sure I can test a rectifier, but how to test the cap?

I am happy to throw a few quid into getting it working but I do not want to
bugger around for days on end with the thing.

It's at my parents house and my Dad can get a couple of these ordered before
I go back there

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microwave-...-/280621034767

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW expressed precisely :
Well I am sure I can test a rectifier, but how to test the cap?

I am happy to throw a few quid into getting it working but I do not want to
bugger around for days on end with the thing.

It's at my parents house and my Dad can get a couple of these ordered before
I go back there

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microwave-...-/280621034767

You cannot really test them properly, without the test voltage needed
for the test - just put another fuse in.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, August 25, 2013 4:22:11 PM UTC+1, wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"ARW" adamwadsworth writes:

I do not have a model number and it is a combi microwave.

All appears well but the microwave oven bit does not work (it goes
through the motions but does not actually heat anything up). I took
the cover off and the 5kV .8A fuse had blown.

Well I am sure I can test a rectifier, but how to test the cap?
I am happy to throw a few quid into getting it working but I do not want to
bugger around for days on end with the thing.
It's at my parents house and my Dad can get a couple of these ordered before
I go back there
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microwave-...-/280621034767

Simple, short the dead fuse & plug in. Nuke HV fuses just protect against fire risk from prolonged overrunning of the transformer. Testing it for a minute won't get it anywhere near hot enough. And millions of nukes have no such fuse too. If its ok with no fuse, fit one and its done.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

writes:

On Sunday, August 25, 2013 4:22:11 PM UTC+1, wro=
te:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"ARW" adamwadsworth writes:

I do not have a model number and it is a combi microwave.

All appears well but the microwave oven bit does not work (it goes
through the motions but does not actually heat anything up). I took
the cover off and the 5kV .8A fuse had blown.

Well I am sure I can test a rectifier, but how to test the cap?

I was sure I could test a rectifier, then found out very belatedly that
the rectifier is internally a string of diodes in series. The result is
that it won't conduct in either direction if connected to a typical low
voltage ohmmeter. Which fooled me - you need maybe 15 or 20 volts to
make it conduct in the forward direction.

I am happy to throw a few quid into getting it working but I do not want =

to=20
bugger around for days on end with the thing.
It's at my parents house and my Dad can get a couple of these ordered bef=

ore=20
I go back there
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microwave-...ube-800mA-0-8=
A-5kV-/280621034767

Simple, short the dead fuse & plug in. Nuke HV fuses just protect against f=
ire risk from prolonged overrunning of the transformer. Testing it for a mi=
nute won't get it anywhere near hot enough. And millions of nukes have no s=
uch fuse too. If its ok with no fuse, fit one and its done.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ S c o t s h o m e . c o m

Duff microwave oven Mr Pounder[_2_] UK diy 3 September 2nd 13 03:29 AM
microwave oven Stephen[_6_] UK diy 24 August 15th 09 02:10 PM
Microwave oven Richard G. Gould Electronics Repair 11 October 25th 08 02:17 PM
Samsung Microwave & GE Microwave oven Soyrunner Electronics Repair 5 March 15th 05 01:46 PM
above oven microwave oreo123 Home Repair 9 October 21st 04 06:45 PM