Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New bolt for lawn shears

I have a perfectly good pair of lawn edging shears but the bolt has sheared.. They are Jenks and Cattell and quite a few years old (40+). The bolt looks like a special. it is about 0.25 ins dia, 0.75 ins long but the shank below the head is first round and then square section - to locate in one blade of the shears.
Anybody know where I could get a replacement?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"petek" wrote in message

I have a perfectly good pair of lawn edging shears but the bolt has sheared.
They are Jenks and Cattell and quite a few years old (40+). The bolt looks
like a special. it is about 0.25 ins dia, 0.75 ins long but the shank below
the head is first round and then square section - to locate in one blade of
the shears.
Anybody know where I could get a replacement?

Just use an ordinary bolt of the diameter of the across flats of the square
hole or file a flat on a suitable bolt

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just use an ordinary bolt of the diameter of the across flats of the square

hole or file a flat on a suitable bolt

Wouldn't that defeat the objective of stopping the bolt turning and coming loose.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 07:41:17 -0700 (PDT), petek wrote:

The bolt looks like a special. it is about 0.25 ins dia, 0.75 ins long
but the shank below the head is first round and then square section - to
locate in one blade of the shears.

Is that round immediately adjacent the head then a square section
then the thread? Or square below the head then round like a coach
bolt?

http://www.toolsparesonline.com/imag...bs/0007437.jpg

Anybody know where I could get a replacement?

Ask them? http://www.jcel.co.uk

Now an engineering firm but you never know...

http://blackcountryhistory.org/colle.../GB149_P_1597/

Indicates that your shears may be some what older than 40 years, like
60 or 70...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, August 20, 2013 11:39:16 PM UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 07:41:17 -0700 (PDT), petek wrote:

The bolt looks like a special. it is about 0.25 ins dia, 0.75 ins long

but the shank below the head is first round and then square section - to

locate in one blade of the shears.

Is that round immediately adjacent the head then a square section

then the thread? Or square below the head then round like a coach

bolt?

http://www.toolsparesonline.com/imag...bs/0007437.jpg

Anybody know where I could get a replacement?

Ask them? http://www.jcel.co.uk

Now an engineering firm but you never know...

http://blackcountryhistory.org/colle.../GB149_P_1597/

Indicates that your shears may be some what older than 40 years, like

60 or 70...

--

Cheers

Dave.

Just for the record they were my Dad's who died in 1996, that's why I'm reluctant to discard them and buy new - I'm kind of sentimental that way. The special bolt was round immediately under the head, then square then the thread. One blade of the shears has a round hole and the other blade a square hole.
Anyway, a bit of lateral thinking, I found a coach bolt (M8) and fitted it the other way round. Job done and blades sharpened - shears as good as new and should be OK to pass on to my grandson in another 15 or 20 years! Thanks for the help.
PeteK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 04:38:41 -0700 (PDT), petek
wrote:

Just for the record they were my Dad's who died in 1996, that's why I'm reluctant to discard them and buy new - I'm kind of sentimental that way. The special bolt was round immediately under the head, then square then the thread. One blade of the shears has a round hole and the other blade a square hole.
Anyway, a bit of lateral thinking, I found a coach bolt (M8) and fitted it the other way round. Job done and blades sharpened - shears as good as new and should be OK to pass on to my grandson in another 15 or 20 years! Thanks for the help.

I'd suspect the bolt was originally shaped like that so there was no tendency
for the nut to undo in service. A coach bolt fitted the other way round will
place a moving jaw immediately behind the nut.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Other Mike
writes
wrote:

Just for the record they were my Dad's who died in 1996, that's why
I'm reluctant to discard them and buy new - I'm kind of sentimental
that way. The special bolt was round immediately under the head, then
square then the thread. One blade of the shears has a round hole and
the other blade a square hole.
Anyway, a bit of lateral thinking, I found a coach bolt (M8) and
fitted it the other way round. Job done and blades sharpened - shears
as good as new and should be OK to pass on to my grandson in another
15 or 20 years! Thanks for the help.

I'd suspect the bolt was originally shaped like that so there was no tendency
for the nut to undo in service. A coach bolt fitted the other way round will
place a moving jaw immediately behind the nut.

Washer and nylock nut.? I think they usually use those double coil flat
spring washers.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, August 22, 2013 4:29:22 PM UTC+1, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , The Other Mike

writes

wrote:

[...]

I did in fact fit a washer and nyloc nut. Just thought it was so obvious that I didn't mention it.

PeteK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 04:38:41 -0700 (PDT), petek wrote:

Just for the record they were my Dad's who died in 1996, that's why I'm reluctant to discard them and buy new - I'm kind of sentimental that
way.

And if sharpened and maintained properly will still work better and
last longer than a modern replacement. Trouble is knowing how to
sharpen and set them properly, angles, blade "bend", etc...

The special bolt was round immediately under the head, then square then
the thread. One blade of the shears has a round hole and the other blade
a square hole.

Seems a bit strange, with the nut tightening onto the square bit how
does one set the correct scissor pressure where the two blades meet?
Particularly with the meeting point close to the pivot, shims under
the head I guess, back then shiming things for fit would be the norm.

Anyway, a bit of lateral thinking, I found a coach bolt (M8) and fitted
it the other way round. Job done and blades sharpened - shears as good
as new and should be OK to pass on to my grandson in another 15 or 20
years! Thanks for the help.

That's good to hear. Nyloc nuts are useful but I don't think they
would have existed before the war...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Pinking Shears polygonum UK diy 22 October 21st 12 12:10 PM
Sharpening Garden Shears Mary Lou Home Repair 4 March 12th 08 06:56 PM
Wiss M3 shears Puddin' Man Home Repair 5 July 31st 07 11:24 PM
OT? Anvil Shears VRS By Pass shears Colbyt Home Repair 4 May 16th 05 05:29 AM
Shears vs nibblers Don Gowan Metalworking 1 September 17th 04 09:12 PM