Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sharpening Garden Shears

If garden shears have not been sharpened for a long time, does it
require specialized sharpening tools by a professional to bring the
blade back into shape.

I bought and used a hand file until my hand has become bloody but the
blade is as dull as when I began. Thank You, Mary
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mary Lou wrote:
If garden shears have not been sharpened for a long time, does it
require specialized sharpening tools by a professional to bring the
blade back into shape.

I bought and used a hand file until my hand has become bloody but the
blade is as dull as when I began. Thank You, Mary

Scissor type or anvil type? With scissor type, more than the edge
matters- the pivot point and any bending to the blade, can make a big
difference. If blades are bent or joint gets sloppy, the cutting edges
won't pass over each other correctly, and it gets very frustrating to use.

I'd call local sharpening shop and ask how much they charge. Garden
shears aren't that expensive, and replacement may be cheaper. Or if you
buy the same style, comparing the new ones to what you have may give you
the needed understanding to make the old ones work.

aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 11, 6:34 pm, Windswept@Home (Mary Lou) wrote:
If garden shears have not been sharpened for a long time, does it
require specialized sharpening tools by a professional to bring the
blade back into shape.

I bought and used a hand file until my hand has become bloody but the
blade is as dull as when I began. Thank You, Mary

If your shears are by-pass (scissor) type, all you need to do to
sharpen them is disassemble them & burnish or polish them on sandpaper
backed up by a very flat surface.

The leading edge of the "sharp" jaw can be filed to knife edge.

If they are hand shears they are easier to deal with than loppers.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mary Lou" Windswept@Home wrote in message
If garden shears have not been sharpened for a long time, does it
require specialized sharpening tools by a professional to bring the
blade back into shape.

I bought and used a hand file until my hand has become bloody but the
blade is as dull as when I began. Thank You, Mary

How do you get you hand bloody by using a hand file? Did you hold the shears
on a bench vice?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufx0-DHaamQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgD2O6yj7yM

You should be able to do the same with a hand file, just much slower
process.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Unless you know what you are doing, trying to sharpen shears or scissors
can actually ruin them. My wife got industrious once and tried to
sharpen some scissors; she ended up with both sides of the blade
beveled, sort of, and they never cut again.

A file is not the best tool for this, but a decent job can be done with
a file. An adjustable wrench is also handy for disassembling and
tightening, and a hammer can often straighten out a bent blade, but I
prefer to get a new set rather than trying to straighten a bent blade.
If you have someone who knows how to sharpen them, ask for help and
instructions. If not, many fabric stores have a sharpener who comes
around perhaps monthly; find one and watch what he does. Let him think
he is dazzling you and you should be able to steal his secrets.

Wiss M3 shears Puddin' Man Home Repair 5 July 31st 07 11:24 PM
Grass Shears; Conflicting Sharpening Advice Mary Home Repair 1 June 16th 07 10:04 PM
Electrical garden shears or the old fashioned ones? John Smith UK diy 8 October 13th 05 06:41 PM
OT? Anvil Shears VRS By Pass shears Colbyt Home Repair 4 May 16th 05 05:29 AM
Shears vs nibblers Don Gowan Metalworking 1 September 17th 04 09:12 PM