Old July 23rd 07, 06:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wiss M3 shears

With the yellow rubber handle.

Had 'em for 15-20 years. Mighta averaged 10 min. lite-duty use per year.

Tried to cut some plumbers strap-tape the other day, the 2 blades
separated, wouldn't cut.

Tried tightening the bolt: no hep'.

Blades are not sharp, but they're not incredably dull either.

Should I go after the blades with a whetstone or what?

Thx,
Puddin'

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!"
-Friedrich Schiller

Old July 23rd 07, 08:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 12:30:19 -0500, Puddin' Man
wrote:

With the yellow rubber handle.

Had 'em for 15-20 years. Mighta averaged 10 min. lite-duty use per year.

Tried to cut some plumbers strap-tape the other day, the 2 blades
separated, wouldn't cut.

Tried tightening the bolt: no hep'.

So now they won't cut the tape, or they won't cut other things either?

There are things it won't cut, but if it cuts the stuff it used to,
it's fine.

Blades are not sharp, but they're not incredably dull either.

Should I go after the blades with a whetstone or what?

The jaws are never very sharp iirc.

Thx,
Puddin'

Old July 23rd 07, 08:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 23, 1:30 pm, Puddin' Man wrote:
With the yellow rubber handle.

Had 'em for 15-20 years. Mighta averaged 10 min. lite-duty use per year.

Tried to cut some plumbers strap-tape the other day, the 2 blades
separated, wouldn't cut.

Tried tightening the bolt: no hep'.

Blades are not sharp, but they're not incredably dull either.

Should I go after the blades with a whetstone or what?

A file works fine. Don't sharpen the edges that touch, just the
beveled faces.

Old July 24th 07, 12:08 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message

With the yellow rubber handle.

Had 'em for 15-20 years. Mighta averaged 10 min. lite-duty use per year.

Tried to cut some plumbers strap-tape the other day, the 2 blades
separated, wouldn't cut.

Tried tightening the bolt: no hep'.

Blades are not sharp, but they're not incredably dull either.

Should I go after the blades with a whetstone or what?

Thx,
Puddin'

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!"
-Friedrich Schiller

Several years ago I found a pair with a broken blade in the garbage on a job
site. I called up the company to find out about buying replacement blades
and they sent them for free. I think Cooper Tools makes the Wiss brand.

Old July 24th 07, 12:51 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 12:30:19 -0500, Puddin' Man wrote:

With the yellow rubber handle.

Had 'em for 15-20 years. Mighta averaged 10 min. lite-duty use per year.

Tried to cut some plumbers strap-tape the other day, the 2 blades
separated, wouldn't cut.

Tried tightening the bolt: no hep'.

Blades are not sharp, but they're not incredably dull either.

Should I go after the blades with a whetstone or what?

Thx,
Puddin'

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!"
-Friedrich Schiller

To check how sharp they actually are, try cutting a page of a newspaper.
They should give a nice clean cut. If not, it's time for a new set of
Wiss.

--
Registered Linux User 413057.
Both Mandriva 2007.1 and Ubuntu 7.04

the other English teams put together :-)

Old July 31st 07, 11:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 12:49:29 -0700, RicodJour wrote:

On Jul 23, 1:30 pm, Puddin' Man wrote:
With the yellow rubber handle.

Had 'em for 15-20 years. Mighta averaged 10 min. lite-duty use per year.

Tried to cut some plumbers strap-tape the other day, the 2 blades
separated, wouldn't cut.

Tried tightening the bolt: no hep'.

Blades are not sharp, but they're not incredably dull either.

Should I go after the blades with a whetstone or what?

A file works fine. Don't sharpen the edges that touch, just the
beveled faces.

I managed to get a jeweler's file to work OK.

Thanks,