Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Petrol brushcutter/strimmer/pruner

I get a feeling I may be opening up a big debate but here goes...

Having just killed an electric hedgecutter down the allotment (about 100
yards of 4' high hedge) I've decided to go for a petrol solution, avoiding
the need to cart the genny down there.

I'm looking at the multi tool varieties, a Ryobi in B&Q, but this is quite
pricey with all the bits & also some China imports on Amazon -
http://amzn.to/14cLDeZ

Whatever I buy will maybe get 4 airings a year, for the hedge marathon &
some pruning & brushcutting.

Do I go the Amazon route? Mixed reviews, but the supplier seems to offer
excellent after sales service.

I don't mind paying for good quality, but with low usage do I need to? How
about a budget of up to £300?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I get a feeling I may be opening up a big debate but here goes...

Having just killed an electric hedgecutter down the allotment (about 100
yards of 4' high hedge) I've decided to go for a petrol solution, avoiding
the need to cart the genny down there.

I'm looking at the multi tool varieties, a Ryobi in B&Q, but this is quite
pricey with all the bits & also some China imports on Amazon -
http://amzn.to/14cLDeZ

Whatever I buy will maybe get 4 airings a year, for the hedge marathon &
some pruning & brushcutting.

Do I go the Amazon route? Mixed reviews, but the supplier seems to offer
excellent after sales service.

I don't mind paying for good quality, but with low usage do I need to? How
about a budget of up to £300?

I have an almost identical looking Chinese machine. I've had it for about 6
years and apart from carburettor problems last year (which was cured with a
new £20 carburettor) its been great. Usual starting issues of any cheap 2
stroke but starts easily with a bit of gas from the blowtorch!

I use the strimmer and hedge cutter attachments a lot, in fact I prefer the
hedge cutter attachment to my dedicated Skil hedge cutter!

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-08-19, Muddymike wrote:

Usual starting issues of any cheap 2
stroke but starts easily with a bit of gas from the blowtorch!

Care to elaborate on that? I have 3 two-stroke appliances, which in
order of starting difficulty are;

Fuji Robin brushcutter. Starts 2nd or 3rd pull, even after a winter
in the shed.

Mitox hedge trimmers. Can be a PITA to start from cold.

Chainsaw, I forget the maker, same group as Electrolux. Unmitigated ****ing
PITA to start to the extent it may be easier to cut whatever it is down by
hand rather than start the saw, if it's smaller than a giant sequoia.

Ive got 2 stihls and a Ryobi. strimmer/ hedgecutter chainsaw.

All if they are in proper working order, start immediately once the
proper checklist is done.

a boyhood starting model diesel and glo engines taught me how to tell if
they are short of fuel flooded or have no spark.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/08/2013 12:39, CD wrote:
I get a feeling I may be opening up a big debate but here goes...

Having just killed an electric hedgecutter down the allotment (about 100
yards of 4' high hedge) I've decided to go for a petrol solution, avoiding
the need to cart the genny down there.

I'm looking at the multi tool varieties, a Ryobi in B&Q, but this is quite
pricey with all the bits & also some China imports on Amazon -
http://amzn.to/14cLDeZ

Whatever I buy will maybe get 4 airings a year, for the hedge marathon &
some pruning & brushcutting.

Do I go the Amazon route? Mixed reviews, but the supplier seems to offer
excellent after sales service.

I don't mind paying for good quality, but with low usage do I need to? How
about a budget of up to £300?

I've got a small petrol 2-stroke Ryobi with a strimmer head (2.4mm line)
and a couple of hedge-trimmer attachments. Probably about £200 in total.
It's a bit flimsy and can be difficult to start, but it's sufficient for
my 15 hours use per year. If I was a heavier user, I'd pay more for kit
that would hopefully be easier to use. There are some 4-stroke options
which look interesting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"CD" wrote in message
. ..
I get a feeling I may be opening up a big debate but here goes...

Having just killed an electric hedgecutter down the allotment (about 100
yards of 4' high hedge) I've decided to go for a petrol solution, avoiding
the need to cart the genny down there.

I'm looking at the multi tool varieties, a Ryobi in B&Q, but this is quite
pricey with all the bits & also some China imports on Amazon -
http://amzn.to/14cLDeZ

Whatever I buy will maybe get 4 airings a year, for the hedge marathon &
some pruning & brushcutting.

Do I go the Amazon route? Mixed reviews, but the supplier seems to offer
excellent after sales service.

I don't mind paying for good quality, but with low usage do I need to? How
about a budget of up to £300?

Think about hiring one first.
They are horrid things to use, you are breathing the nasty fumes and they
are much heavier then an electric one.
I wnt the other way round. (Petrolelectric)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 18:34:43 +0100, MrWeld wrote:

I've got a small petrol 2-stroke Ryobi with a strimmer head (2.4mm line)
and a couple of hedge-trimmer attachments. Probably about £200 in total.
It's a bit flimsy and can be difficult to start, but it's sufficient for
my 15 hours use per year. If I was a heavier user, I'd pay more for kit
that would hopefully be easier to use. There are some 4-stroke options
which look interesting.

Having borrowed a neighbours B&Q-special strimmer, then bought a Stihl,
I'd run a mile from any plastic-fantastic Chinese rebadge. Honestly. Just
using 'em both for an hour or two almost back-to-back was chalk and
cheese.

The damn B&Q thing ended up having to be almost dismantled on the bench
and a few things bodged up a bit, just because the line head had friction-
welded the plastic to the bit it attached to. There was a big gap between
head and gearbox which just _loved_ filling with long undergrowth to the
point that it actually bogged the motor down and required a knife to free
it.

With a three-legged grass cutting head on, I reckon the Stihl'd strimmer
do a decent job of hedge trimming, too, although the top'd be beyond it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/08/2013 12:39, CD wrote:
I get a feeling I may be opening up a big debate but here goes...

Having just killed an electric hedgecutter down the allotment (about 100
yards of 4' high hedge) I've decided to go for a petrol solution, avoiding
the need to cart the genny down there.

I'm looking at the multi tool varieties, a Ryobi in B&Q, but this is quite
pricey with all the bits & also some China imports on Amazon -
http://amzn.to/14cLDeZ

Whatever I buy will maybe get 4 airings a year, for the hedge marathon &
some pruning & brushcutting.

Do I go the Amazon route? Mixed reviews, but the supplier seems to offer
excellent after sales service.

I don't mind paying for good quality, but with low usage do I need to? How
about a budget of up to £300?

I bought an 18" Stihl earlier this year for similar occasional use. I
actually find it quite heavy. There is also a 24" version model. It is
not easy to buy Stihl cutting equipment on the Internet.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 12:39:06 +0100, CD wrote:

I don't mind paying for good quality, but with low usage do I need to? How
about a budget of up to £300?

In the end I went for http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360576771951

China import, yes? But an honest approach from the seller in that bits will
wear out, excellent feedback & availability of cheap spares from the
seller.

One thing I noticed on ebay is the number of powerheads selling as for
parts or not working where people can't start them amongst other reasons.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 12:39:06 +0100, CD wrote:

I don't mind paying for good quality, but with low usage do I need to?
How
about a budget of up to £300?

In the end I went for http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360576771951

China import, yes? But an honest approach from the seller in that bits will
wear out, excellent feedback & availability of cheap spares from the
seller.

One thing I noticed on ebay is the number of powerheads selling as for
parts or not working where people can't start them amongst other reasons.

That looks exactly like mine.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-08-19, Muddymike wrote:

Usual starting issues of any cheap 2
stroke but starts easily with a bit of gas from the blowtorch!

Care to elaborate on that? I have 3 two-stroke appliances, which in
order of starting difficulty are;

Fuji Robin brushcutter. Starts 2nd or 3rd pull, even after a winter
in the shed.

Mitox hedge trimmers. Can be a PITA to start from cold.

Chainsaw, I forget the maker, same group as Electrolux. Unmitigated ****ing
PITA to start to the extent it may be easier to cut whatever it is down by
hand rather than start the saw, if it's smaller than a giant sequoia.

I just direct the nozzle of my propane torch into the air cleaner so that
the engine gets a good breath of gas whilst pulling the starter cord. Never
fails to get it running and providing the fuel supply is okay it just
carries on once the torch is turned off.

I kneel with the machine on the floor and the torch lodged just so!

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, August 22, 2013 11:55:28 AM UTC+1, Muddymike wrote:
On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 12:39:06 +0100, CD wrote:

I don't mind paying for good quality, but with low usage do I need to?

How

about a budget of up to £300?

In the end I went for http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360576771951

China import, yes? But an honest approach from the seller in that bits will

wear out, excellent feedback & availability of cheap spares from the

seller.

One thing I noticed on ebay is the number of powerheads selling as for

parts or not working where people can't start them amongst other reasons..

That looks exactly like mine.

Mike

I conquered the starting problem as follows.

Switch in the OFF position.

Choke OFF

Prime the carb with 8-10 presses on the bulb.

Pull cord 6 times.

Switch to On position.

Choke On

Pull until it coughs.

Choke to 1/2 on position.

Pull and start.

Choke off.

The real *******s for me are the four stroke machines.

The Honda Flymo

The Bearcat Chipper.

Both very hard to start after winter. Neither have easy access to the carb inlet to allow easy use of Easystart. Have to pull the plug and spray into the cylinder with Easystart, replace plug fast before the fumes disappear. This is not good as that stuff dilutes the oil.

Having said all that the four stroke engine in the Kubota Tiller starts on the first pull, even after an idle year, without all the faffing around described above. Wonder what the secret is.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2013 10:51, fred wrote:

The real *******s for me are the four stroke machines.

The Honda Flymo

The Bearcat Chipper.

Both very hard to start after winter. Neither have easy access to the carb inlet to allow easy use of Easystart. Have to pull the plug and spray into the cylinder with Easystart, replace plug fast before the fumes disappear. This is not good as that stuff dilutes the oil.

After winter one of our honda engines can be a little reluctant to
start. I take the air filter off, squirt a bit of petrol in the hole (my
petrol camping stove makes this easy :-) ), put back together and it goes.