Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Went into DIY shed today

to buy some wood. It was the one that's really not sure if it's a trade
building supplier or a domestic retail outlet.

Whilst I was there, I happened to have in my hand something that I needed to
take back to the shed that's "really not sure if it's a diy store or a
lifestyle outlet", which should have been on the same estate but has closed
since I checked up its location yesterday.

Item in question was missing the grub screw fixing, so rather than make the
30 mile round trip to the next nearest alternative store I asked at the info
desk (of the competing store) if they might sell packets of replacement grub
screws.

He took me to the appropriate isle and started looking at different lengths
screws. It became clear that he didn't have the faintest idea what a grub
screw was, even after I explained it to him.

Where do they get these people?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 14 August 2013 20:47:07 UTC+2, tim..... wrote:

Where do they get these people?

Romania?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote:
Where do they get these people?

Graduate recruitment fairs?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote:
Where do they get these people?

More than 20 years ago I went into O&D and asked a chap who
looked in his 50s with "electrical expert" on his badge at the
support desk, where the "intermediate or crossover switches"
were. He couldn't understand what I wanted. "For lights
controlled from more than two positions". Nope. He handed me a
two-way switch.

Ended up walking to a pre-toolstation shed on an industrial estate
a mile from the nearest bus route to get one.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 19:47:07 +0100, "tim....."
wrote:

snip

Where do they get these people?

They are rejects who couldn't get a job at Currys and PC World

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 23:34:33 +0100, The Other Mike
wrote:

On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 19:47:07 +0100, "tim....."
wrote:

snip

Where do they get these people?

They are rejects who couldn't get a job at Currys and PC World

Don't worry, they'll soon get a job in the cabinet.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim....." wrote in message
to buy some wood. It was the one that's really not sure if it's a trade
building supplier or a domestic retail outlet.

Whilst I was there, I happened to have in my hand something that I needed
to take back to the shed that's "really not sure if it's a diy store or a
lifestyle outlet", which should have been on the same estate but has
closed since I checked up its location yesterday.

Item in question was missing the grub screw fixing, so rather than make
the 30 mile round trip to the next nearest alternative store I asked at
the info desk (of the competing store) if they might sell packets of
replacement grub screws.

He took me to the appropriate isle and started looking at different
lengths screws. It became clear that he didn't have the faintest idea
what a grub screw was, even after I explained it to him.

Where do they get these people?

Same with garden centres. It sounds discriminatory perhaps but I try to
steer clear of the young and the elderly staff unless it's a basic query.
Sometimes you'll get a middle-aged person who actually has an interest in
the stuff they're trying to sell (and that's why he's working there), who is
very helpful. The others seem to only be there because it was the only job
they could get, they have no interest or experience in the trade. It's just
"shop work" for them, wouldn't matter if they sold sofas or lawnmowers.

I suppose it's like most other customer service roles, if you pay peanuts
then you're not (generally) going to get people who know their stuff if they
could be earning far more elsewhere.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 15 August 2013 13:00:07 UTC+2, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

Same with garden centres. It sounds discriminatory perhaps but I try to

steer clear of the young and the elderly staff unless it's a basic query.

Sometimes you'll get a middle-aged person who actually has an interest in

the stuff they're trying to sell (and that's why he's working there), who is

very helpful. The others seem to only be there because it was the only job

they could get, they have no interest or experience in the trade. It's just

"shop work" for them, wouldn't matter if they sold sofas or lawnmowers.

I always groan when a woman answers the phone when I have a query, because 99 times out of a hundred, you know you're going to have to explain your problem twice. First to this woman who misguidedly thought she could 'help' and then again to the man she has to transfer you to.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
[...]

When I ran an office which took tecnical enquiries, most of the calls could
be answered by our (female) clerk, but some people demanded to speak "to an
engineer". When this happened, I did try to have our one female engineer
take the call. Of course if the call was taken by a male clerk, the caller
would launch into a long technical complaint - at the end of which the
clerk usually hd to put the call through to an engineer.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Aug 2013 13:06:03 +0100, tony sayer
wrote:

Around Three, yes just three times in the last 30 years its been a
Female voice who did know what I was on about and it was very pleasant
to hear a lady knowing the answer..

Like the woman at Rank Wharfedale who knew the Leak speakers inside
out and knew exactly what I wanted and where to get it.
I think she used to build them.

Ought to be more of them...

Indeed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Around Three, yes just three times in the last 30 years its been a
Female voice who did know what I was on about and it was very pleasant
to hear a lady knowing the answer..

Like the woman at Rank Wharfedale who knew the Leak speakers inside out
and knew exactly what I wanted and where to get it.
I think she used to build them.

Ought to be more of them...

Indeed.

SWMBO started out college lecturing about 30 years ago, just after we had
bought our first house and (jointly) done a lot of work on it.

She was assigned to teach basic computing to practically everybody, for
some reason. We are talking brickies, plumbers, buttchers, sparkies, etc.

When it came to practical work (a simple stock database or similar) she
went round and started each off on a set of items to put into the
database. Theye were amazed to know that she knew about different
bricklaying bonds, plumbing fittings, cuts of meat (as it happened) and
also about wiring accessories. There were a few more and she pretty well
covered all of them.

Now she's in charge of a college's engineering and computing student.

Despite the degree in English and American Literature! .-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

wrote:

Around Three, yes just three times in the last 30 years its been a

Female voice who did know what I was on about and it was very pleasant

to hear a lady knowing the answer..

Like the woman at Rank Wharfedale who knew the Leak speakers inside

out and knew exactly what I wanted and where to get it.

I think she used to build them.

Ought to be more of them...

Indeed.

http://xkcd.com/806/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Women like that not exactly typical, though!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 14:47:55 -0700, orion.osiris wrote:

[...]

Oh, she is far from typical. It's a pain sometimes...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 13:04:58 -0700 (PDT), jkn
wrote:

Ought to be more of them...

Indeed.

http://xkcd.com/806/

Dream girl.

Planning a Shed to Office conversion (with a new shed). Need some advice rmwebs UK diy 23 July 4th 12 11:02 AM
Recommendations for a base for a shed to encourage a long life (ofthe shed!) larkim UK diy 9 March 8th 12 12:52 AM
Easy Plug & Play System. Start Today - Profit Today! //www.online-jobs-4u.page.tl leena Home Ownership 1 August 26th 08 10:38 PM
OT; Today The Medway Handyman UK diy 0 May 4th 08 09:30 AM
What most of you are doing today 1-1-08 [email protected] Home Repair 0 January 2nd 08 04:10 AM