Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 'ickle bit of concrete

1m x 2.4m x 150mm = 0.36m3, as a base for a bulk LPG tank.

What mix would you use, and would you hire a mixer and DIY it, or look
into readymix? What sort of cost would you expect?

Ta.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message ...

1m x 2.4m x 150mm = 0.36m3, as a base for a bulk LPG tank.

What mix would you use, and would you hire a mixer and DIY it, or look
into readymix? What sort of cost would you expect?

Ta.

Depends on your age and fitness level !

Years ago I would have mixed it on a board, a bit later in life I'd have
used my cement mixer, and now I'd get a man in G I did fill a large brick
gate pillar a few weeks ago that took 6 mixes of my Belle Minimix which left
me knackered !!!

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/2013 15:05, Adrian wrote:
1m x 2.4m x 150mm = 0.36m3, as a base for a bulk LPG tank.

What mix would you use, and would you hire a mixer and DIY it, or
look into readymix? What sort of cost would you expect?

In my younger days I might have done quantity that by hand.

Now I'd definitely use a mixer! It all depends on how fit you are, and
how methodically you'd do the shovelling and barrowing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday 12 August 2013 15:05 Adrian wrote in uk.d-i-y:

1m x 2.4m x 150mm = 0.36m3, as a base for a bulk LPG tank.

What mix would you use, and would you hire a mixer and DIY it, or look
into readymix? What sort of cost would you expect?

Ta.

I'd use a C20 4:2:1 mix (gravel:sharp-sand:cement)

This has some useful info:
http://www.pavingexpert.com/mortars.htm

I'd hire a mixer and do it myself.

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/2013 15:05, Adrian wrote:
1m x 2.4m x 150mm = 0.36m3, as a base for a bulk LPG tank.

What mix would you use,

Depends on what you local materials are like. Around here "all in one
ballast" is readily available, so I would use about 5:1 of that.

and would you hire a mixer and DIY it, or look
into readymix? What sort of cost would you expect?

Doable in a mixer I would say, or get a mix on site lorry to deliver
what you need.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 19:32:28 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

and would you hire a mixer and DIY it, or look into readymix? What sort
of cost would you expect?

Doable in a mixer I would say, or get a mix on site lorry to deliver
what you need.

Soddit. Half a cubic metre, delivered, £150. Given we're way out in the
sticks, it's probably steep but wtf. I've just minidiggered the hole out,
and it's a bit deeper than need be, so the difference between the
nominal .36 and .5 won't go to waste...

Let's hope Calor can get the new tank in soonish, since I also managed to
minidigger the pipe betwixt old tank and house. Oops.