Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Next Customer Please

In message , Mr Pounder
writes

"Cash" wrote in message
DerbyBorn wrote:
"Cash" wrote in
:

DerbyBorn wrote:
Oh I do like to annoy people by putting my shopping on the conveyor
in Aldi (Wine) and not using a "Next Customer" Bar. I just stand
nonchalantly and feel the irritation building in the person behind
who can't reach a bar and feels unable to put their shopping on the
belt.

It's a good job your not in front of me then, as I'd annoy you by
putting my shopping (Bourbon) right up next to your bottle and wait
to see if you backed out of paying for the lot - I bet you'd blink
first. :-)

Cash

Of course I wouldn't pay - I would say "That belongs to the other
bloke" However, I would expect an intelligent bloke like you to leave
a small gap.

Damn, and I thought I could get away with a 'free' bottle of hooch then!

However, my main irritation is those who cannot put their shopping
down without a bar. I feel less irritation when they use one closer
to the checkout operative as this is really the only time they are
needed.

I must admit, the separator issue really doesn't bother me as normally in
the store I use, once the checkout operator has pushed the separators up
high enough, the person behind (or even myself) will slip the thing onto
the belt.

The one thing that does irritate me, is if the person in front of me knows
the checkout operator and they decide to have a chat about the previous
nights booze-up etc - (and that generally takes place in the other major
stores rather than Aldi's, where the checkout operators are actually
electronically timed on how fast the items are processed through the till,
and they get a rollicking if they hang about when serving the customers).

Aldi checkout staff are like lightening.
To a point they are too fast, you have to literally throw your shopping into
the trolley.

If they try that with me I deliberately slow down
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"polygonum" wrote in message
In article ,
Onetap wrote:
On Tuesday, August 6, 2013 7:59:48 PM UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:
Oh I do like to annoy people by putting my shopping on the conveyor in
Aldi

(Wine) and not using a "Next Customer" Bar. I just stand nonchalantly
and

feel the irritation building in the person behind who can't reach a
bar and

feels unable to put their shopping on the belt.

I don't shop at Aldi with poor people like you, so I shall never
participate in your dullard mind games.

I don't think I'll be missing much.

Absolutely. They don't even have any stores round here. So Lidl it is.
Aldi appear to stick to the low rent areas.

Funnily enough, round the corner to my mother's house there are two
supermarkets. Aldi and Waitrose. Right next to each other.

Round here Aldi is over the road from Sainsburys, 1/2 a mile away is
Waitrose and Tesco.

This is not a "low rent" area.
People who think that Aldi is only for the poor people are loved by Waitrose
etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/13 21:19, Mr Pounder wrote:
"polygonum" wrote in message
In article ,
Onetap wrote:
[...]

I walked round our local aldi. As far as I cuold tell nothing they has
was cheaper or better quality than waitrose 'essential' brands.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Cash wrote:
The one thing that does irritate me, is if the person in front of me
knows the checkout operator and they decide to have a chat about the
previous nights booze-up etc - (and that generally takes place in the
other major stores rather than Aldi's, where the checkout operators are
actually electronically timed on how fast the items are processed
through the till, and they get a rollicking if they hang about when
serving the customers).

It's a difficult one. When the checkout person is chatting to some old
biddy I sometimes think it might be the only person she speaks to all day.
So just whistle under my breath. ;-)

Marks and Spencers seem to have the slowest, most chat prone cashiers of
anywhere; Tesco and Sainsburys are normal; Aldi is frenetic.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2013 08:59, Road_Hog wrote:
"Cash" wrote in message
DerbyBorn wrote:
Oh I do like to annoy people by putting my shopping on the conveyor
in Aldi (Wine) and not using a "Next Customer" Bar. I just stand
nonchalantly and feel the irritation building in the person behind
who can't reach a bar and feels unable to put their shopping on the
belt.

It's a good job your not in front of me then, as I'd annoy you by putting
my shopping (Bourbon) right up next to your bottle and wait to see if you
backed out of paying for the lot - I bet you'd blink first. :-)

Cash

Same here. I just love the look on the idiots face in front when I shove my
stuff right up against theirs. You can see the look that says, why did you
do that and you know that the till operator is going to think it's all my
shopping. And I give them a smile to say yep, that is the plan, but you can
stop it from happening by putting a divider down.

That usually works most times or I can see the stress building up as they
get ready to stop the assistant the moment their last item has gone through.
Whichever way it goes, I can the fun of standing back and seeing them
stress/have to do the right thing.

We are shopping for five for at least a week, so we often completely
fill the conveyor and have extra items stacked at the end. My wife is
very short, so it is easier for me to pack, but she cannot reach the
bottom of a shopping trolley without a lot of discomfort. This means
that I need to get everything right up to the previous shopper's items
and do it quickly, so I can swap ends as soon as the previous shopper
has paid. I therefore get very irritated by those who don't put a
divider there, stand in the way so that I cannot reach a divider and/or
stand in the way so I cannot start loading the belt until their shopping
has already started going through.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2013 20:44, polygonum wrote:

Absolutely. They don't even have any stores round here. So Lidl it is.
Aldi appear to stick to the low rent areas.

Funnily enough, round the corner to my mother's house there are two
supermarkets. Aldi and Waitrose. Right next to each other.

Which brings up that old one liner (Names changed only slightly)

"I love Aldi - it keeps the riff raff out of Waitrose".

Originally heard many years ago with Sainsburys and M&S.

--
Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I walked round our local aldi. As far as I cuold tell nothing they has
was cheaper or better quality than waitrose 'essential' brands.

We do not often visit an Aldi, but if I remember right, clotted cream
was significantly cheaper at Aldi - though in strict terms, that sold by
Waitrose is not labelled "Essentials".

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

bert ]:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Cash wrote:
The one thing that does irritate me, is if the person in front of me
knows the checkout operator and they decide to have a chat about the
previous nights booze-up etc - (and that generally takes place in the
other major stores rather than Aldi's, where the checkout operators are
actually electronically timed on how fast the items are processed
through the till, and they get a rollicking if they hang about when
serving the customers).

It's a difficult one. When the checkout person is chatting to some old
biddy I sometimes think it might be the only person she speaks to all day.
So just whistle under my breath. ;-)

That's a different matter. A supermarket checkout must be one of the
least tolerant place on the planet.

That's not my experience. I don't observe any tension at our two local
supermarkets (Waitrose and Sainsbury's). Mind you, I don't often go at
peak times. Service with a smile seems to be the rule.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Barnes wrote:
That's a different matter. A supermarket checkout must be one of the
least tolerant place on the planet.

That's not my experience. I don't observe any tension at our two local
supermarkets (Waitrose and Sainsbury's). Mind you, I don't often go at
peak times. Service with a smile seems to be the rule.

I prefer to use the self checkouts, if possible. Although Lidl don't yet
have them. Less boring than watching someone else doing it. And usually,
less of a queue. But I do tend to shop little and often - rather than a
once a week large one.

--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Mike Barnes wrote:
That's a different matter. A supermarket checkout must be one of the
least tolerant place on the planet.

That's not my experience. I don't observe any tension at our two local
supermarkets (Waitrose and Sainsbury's). Mind you, I don't often go at
peak times. Service with a smile seems to be the rule.

I prefer to use the self checkouts, if possible. Although Lidl don't yet
have them. Less boring than watching someone else doing it. And usually,
less of a queue. But I do tend to shop little and often - rather than a
once a week large one.

The thing with self checkouts is that it relieves someone of a job.
We're paying over the odds (100% typically) let the *******s pay to check us
out.
A loaf of bread £1.25? c'mon.
Buy with nouse, item 1 is expensive this week? Do without and leave it on
the shelf. When it's cheap, buy bucketfulls.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cash wrote:
[...]

There was a period when I visited a certain minimart 72 times over 80
days. The staff eventually greeted me with a smile and an enquiry about
the patient I'd been visiting.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, August 8, 2013 2:33:59 AM UTC+12, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , The Other Mike

writes

On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 12:47:34 +0100, Tim Streater

wrote:

Is this one of those things where some people think they should be

putting a divider after the previous person as they start to unload (and

therefore don't see they should put one after), others think it's the

previous klod's job to do that (and their job is to put one after)?

Different views as to what constitutes the right thing?

The one who is closest to a divider or with freedom of movement to retrieve a

divider should be reponsible, most of the time that is the person towards the

front of the queue. Of course there will always be some that are so stupid they

don't do anything with the dividers regardless of the inconvenience to those

behind them in the queue. They are the same type of arseholes who insist on

reversing, often extremely badly into parking places in the carpark rather than

just driving in.

Huh! There was I thinking you knew about 4/4 driving. Try driving

forward into a parking space laid out for Fiestas in a Hilux.

Maybe the spaces close to the supermarket are deliberately small so that the Hiluxes park in the big spaces that are some distance away. The assumption being that outdoor types can struggle a little further than the little old ladies.

Anyway what's this "Next Customer" bar? In my supermarket I just choose an empty aisle and scan all my own groceries and pay for them. There's nobody to glare accusingly at my food and biscuits and booze (not that they ever dare).

Don't you lot have self scanning in the UK? The petrol pump outside is also self-service. It does mean that there's absolutely nobody to talk to when I go shopping. That may or may not be considered an advantage.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I prefer to use the self checkouts, if possible. Although Lidl don't yet
have them. Less boring than watching someone else doing it. And usually,
less of a queue. But I do tend to shop little and often - rather than a
once a week large one.

I detest self checkouts. Largely due to the low chances of having an
incident-free transit. But also because they are so often out of order -
e.g. 4 out of 9 at Morrisons for weeks now.

Other than when the supervisor helps with a problem, they also remove
the only human interaction left on many occasions.

Have to say, the friendliness of checkout staff is astonishingly high.
Of course a few grumpy ones, but I'd say we get more than we deserve
from many of them.

Lidl ends up being the most efficient of the ones we use. Any slowness
tends to be the shopper taking ages to find their means of payment, etc.
And Sainsbury the worst. They very often have a self-scan till open with
an operator sitting there doing nothing - and long queues at the few
other tills that are open.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 7 Aug 2013 21:16:22 +0100, bert ] wrote:

I was in discussion with someone
last week from the Dementia Action Alliance who is trying to educate
supermarket staff on the symptoms of dementia and hopefully persuade
some to open slow-go lanes.

That'll be Sainsburys. A dire depressing place plastered in orange where they
have no concept of getting the customer processed effectively and the cash
securely in the till. Getting them out of the door freeing more space in the
car park and more space for others to shop seems a very alien concept. Having
queues blocking up the aisles with 95% of checkouts closed is their usual
standard of service.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 8 August 2013 04:37:04 UTC+1, Matty F wrote:

Anyway what's this "Next Customer" bar? In my supermarket I just choose an empty aisle and scan all my own groceries and pay for them. There's nobody to glare accusingly at my food and biscuits and booze (not that they ever dare).

So they don't have to come an authosise alcohol purchase they do at any supermarket I've been in.

Don't you lot have self scanning in the UK?

Yep, it's OK but I don;t like the idea of replacing staff with these things..
and then there's the problems they cause. I've not once not had a bagging problem, not having a car means I have to pack carefully not just throw everything into a trolly. Sometimes I remove an idem from a bag it it makes the weight distruibution wrong for carrying, then I have to wait for an assistant.

The petrol pump outside is also self-service. It does mean that there's absolutely nobody to talk to when I go shopping. That may or may not be considered an advantage.

Wow a one product self service .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
bm wrote:
I prefer to use the self checkouts, if possible. Although Lidl don't
yet have them. Less boring than watching someone else doing it. And
usually, less of a queue. But I do tend to shop little and often -
rather than a once a week large one.

The thing with self checkouts is that it relieves someone of a job.

As you are doing by using a self service supermarket. You need to use the
corner shop for maximum employment. Of one family, at least. ;-)

Personally I'd love to see manned checkouts no longer needed. It must be
the most boring job on the planet.

--
*What boots up must come down *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
polygonum wrote:
I prefer to use the self checkouts, if possible. Although Lidl don't
yet have them. Less boring than watching someone else doing it. And
usually, less of a queue. But I do tend to shop little and often -
rather than a once a week large one.

I detest self checkouts. Largely due to the low chances of having an
incident-free transit. But also because they are so often out of order -
e.g. 4 out of 9 at Morrisons for weeks now.

The better ones have a flashing red light clearly visible from a distance
to tell you it's broken.

Other than when the supervisor helps with a problem, they also remove
the only human interaction left on many occasions.

Exactly what I want. ;-)

Have to say, the friendliness of checkout staff is astonishingly high.
Of course a few grumpy ones, but I'd say we get more than we deserve
from many of them.

It takes several pleasant checkout persons to undo the harm done by one
grumpy one. Here, at least. So I'd rather not bother. I can get annoyed at
a machine but give it no more thought, other than at the time.

--
*Why is a boxing ring square?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 08 Aug 2013 14:06:34 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

It takes several pleasant checkout persons to undo the harm done by one
grumpy one. Here, at least. So I'd rather not bother. I can get annoyed
at a machine but give it no more thought, other than at the time.

I detest those checkouts. Bad user interface, etc...

No real downside to the human. I try to smile and be pleasant. If they're
grumpy, I have an even better time - complaining about them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
It takes several pleasant checkout persons to undo the harm done by one
grumpy one. Here, at least. So I'd rather not bother. I can get annoyed
at a machine but give it no more thought, other than at the time.

I detest those checkouts. Bad user interface, etc...

No real downside to the human. I try to smile and be pleasant. If
they're grumpy, I have an even better time - complaining about them.

I'm really glad so many hate the self checkouts and prefer to queue up
waiting for a human. Lets me get out of the supermarket more quickly - my
main aim.

--
*Some people are only alive because it is illegal to kill.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Other Mike" wrote in message
On Wed, 7 Aug 2013 21:16:22 +0100, bert ] wrote:

I was in discussion with someone
last week from the Dementia Action Alliance who is trying to educate
supermarket staff on the symptoms of dementia and hopefully persuade
some to open slow-go lanes.

That'll be Sainsburys. A dire depressing place plastered in orange where
they
have no concept of getting the customer processed effectively and the cash
securely in the till. Getting them out of the door freeing more space in
the
car park and more space for others to shop seems a very alien concept.
Having
queues blocking up the aisles with 95% of checkouts closed is their usual
standard of service.

Have to admit that the biggest thing I hate about shopping is seeing loads
of checkouts closed.
But, the British way of life is to stand in a queue waiting to pay and to
accept it.
Dumb Britain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
polygonum wrote:
[...]

They have flashing lights. Four out of nine were red. (Actually I might
be wrong, one or two might be off.)

And always some are card-only, some cash-only. And that is difficult to
see from afar.

The most recent checkout operator to really annoy me was in Waitrose.
She was extraordinarily slow and made no effort to be pleasant,
apologise for the delay (almost all her fault), or even appear to give a
damn about anyone. Unusual at any of the supermarkets I use. (There is
one Lidl person who obviously doesn't want to be there, but she is at
least efficient.)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
Oh I do like to annoy people by putting my shopping on the conveyor in
Aldi
(Wine) and not using a "Next Customer" Bar. I just stand nonchalantly and
feel the irritation building in the person behind who can't reach a bar
and
feels unable to put their shopping on the belt.

The bar not being there doesn't bother me in the slightest

I just put my goods on the conveyor nonetheless

Are there really people who are that confused?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm really glad so many hate the self checkouts and prefer to queue up
waiting for a human. Lets me get out of the supermarket more quickly - my
main aim.

Understood. But the last time I thought about using a self-checkout, the
queue was so long I decided to put the item back and leave without.

Now they are abandoning basket-only tills, it is ridiculous to see such
queues for self checkouts and every standard till with a long queue as well.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/08/2013 13:22, The Other Mike wrote:
On Wed, 7 Aug 2013 21:16:22 +0100, bert ] wrote:

I was in discussion with someone
last week from the Dementia Action Alliance who is trying to educate
supermarket staff on the symptoms of dementia and hopefully persuade
some to open slow-go lanes.

That'll be Sainsburys. A dire depressing place plastered in orange where they
have no concept of getting the customer processed effectively and the cash
securely in the till. Getting them out of the door freeing more space in the
car park and more space for others to shop seems a very alien concept. Having
queues blocking up the aisles with 95% of checkouts closed is their usual
standard of service.

Rather agree.

They make it even worse by the plethora of bits of paper and cards they
choose to process. Typically three cards - Nectar, Payment, Car park.
And several bits of paper (till receipt, card receipt, extra points
offers, half price offers, something off petrol, etc.).

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:
It takes several pleasant checkout persons to undo the harm done by one
grumpy one. Here, at least. So I'd rather not bother. I can get
annoyed at
a machine but give it no more thought, other than at the time.

They have flashing lights. Four out of nine were red. (Actually I might
be wrong, one or two might be off.)

And always some are card-only, some cash-only. And that is difficult to
see from afar.

Yes, that's annoying, that is.

The most recent checkout operator to really annoy me was in Waitrose.
She was extraordinarily slow and made no effort to be pleasant,
apologise for the delay (almost all her fault), or even appear to give a
damn about anyone. Unusual at any of the supermarkets I use. (There is
one Lidl person who obviously doesn't want to be there, but she is at
least efficient.)

If you want to see a *really* fast checkout operator, wait until the
manager of my local Aldi gets on a till. He sometimes has to scan stuff
twice because the system can't keep up with him.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/08/2013 19:08, John Williamson wrote:
If you want to see a *really* fast checkout operator, wait until the
manager of my local Aldi gets on a till. He sometimes has to scan stuff
twice because the system can't keep up with him.

We have a couple who are phenomenal in our local Lidl.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:
On 08/08/2013 19:08, John Williamson wrote:
If you want to see a *really* fast checkout operator, wait until the
manager of my local Aldi gets on a till. He sometimes has to scan stuff
twice because the system can't keep up with him.

We have a couple who are phenomenal in our local Lidl.

When I made a joke about a special speed training school, ours just
smiled....

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/08/2013 19:08, John Williamson wrote:
If you want to see a *really* fast checkout operator, wait until the
manager of my local Aldi gets on a till. He sometimes has to scan stuff
twice because the system can't keep up with him.

When my father was still on the workbench, another worker asked him how,
when he never appeared to be working fast, he always got the highest
piecework payments. The answer was that he never needed to do anything
twice.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Williamson" wrote in message
polygonum wrote:
On 08/08/2013 19:08, John Williamson wrote:
If you want to see a *really* fast checkout operator, wait until the
manager of my local Aldi gets on a till. He sometimes has to scan stuff
twice because the system can't keep up with him.

We have a couple who are phenomenal in our local Lidl.

When I made a joke about a special speed training school, ours just
smiled....

Remember before scanners? Aldidl staff tapped in the price of everything,
bloody amazing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/08/2013 20:52, bm wrote:
Remember before scanners? Aldidl staff tapped in the price of everything,
bloody amazing.

And the late Kwiksave. I remember being told that they limited the
number of lines sold to the number staff could remember.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:
On 08/08/2013 19:08, John Williamson wrote:
If you want to see a *really* fast checkout operator, wait until the
manager of my local Aldi gets on a till. He sometimes has to scan stuff
twice because the system can't keep up with him.

We have a couple who are phenomenal in our local Lidl.

When I made a joke about a special speed training school, ours just
smiled....

Remember before scanners? Aldidl staff tapped in the price of everything,
bloody amazing.

Pah. There was a lady in the CoOp in Banstead in the 70's who went like
greased lightening on an electro-mechanical till (run pillar buttons, push
10's and 1's and fraction (and £s if necessary - rare then) and hit the big
black L shaped enter knob. Had avague feeling she had to push another
button for product group - not sure.

Then she had to dial out the green shield stamps - the funny little machine
that dispensed those fascinated me.

Anyone remmeber when Woolworths had change dispensers at the far end of the
checkout - somehow linked to the till so it dispensed the correct coinage?

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/08/2013 21:25, Tim Watts wrote:
Anyone remmeber when Woolworths had change dispensers at the far end of the
checkout - somehow linked to the till so it dispensed the correct coinage?

I remember when M&S installed them. Must have cost them a fortune. Don't
think they remained in use for very long.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:
That's a different matter. A supermarket checkout must be one of the
least tolerant place on the planet.

That's not my experience. I don't observe any tension at our two local
supermarkets (Waitrose and Sainsbury's). Mind you, I don't often go at
peak times. Service with a smile seems to be the rule.

I prefer to use the self checkouts, if possible. Although Lidl don't yet
have them. Less boring than watching someone else doing it. And usually,
less of a queue. But I do tend to shop little and often - rather than a
once a week large one.

If I'm expected to do the work of a cashier, I expect some sort of discount.
As no supermarket offers one, I always queue - it's often quicker than
dealing
with "unexpected item in the bagging area" from that supercilious electronic
woman.
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
polygonum wrote:
On 08/08/2013 19:08, John Williamson wrote:
If you want to see a *really* fast checkout operator, wait until the
manager of my local Aldi gets on a till. He sometimes has to scan stuff
twice because the system can't keep up with him.

We have a couple who are phenomenal in our local Lidl.

Same here. I wonder just how they do it - compared to the bigger
supermarkets. I'm thinking it may be that they give them more - but
perhaps short - breaks. They seem to close and open up lanes more than
others.

--
*Sometimes I wake up grumpy; Other times I let him sleep.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave W wrote:
If I'm expected to do the work of a cashier, I expect some sort of
discount. As no supermarket offers one, I always queue - it's often
quicker than dealing with "unexpected item in the bagging area" from
that supercilious electronic woman.

Be nice if you could argue with it. Like 'if you actually scanned it
correctly which is your job, you'd not be saying that.'

--
*The most common name in the world is Mohammed *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:
[...]

I only use self service if self does not do it IE the operator does it
for me (hate the things for many reasons).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

bm wrote:
I prefer to use the self checkouts, if possible. Although Lidl don't
yet have them. Less boring than watching someone else doing it. And
usually, less of a queue. But I do tend to shop little and often -
rather than a once a week large one.

The thing with self checkouts is that it relieves someone of a job.

As you are doing by using a self service supermarket. You need to use the
corner shop for maximum employment. Of one family, at least. ;-)

Personally I'd love to see manned checkouts no longer needed. It must be
the most boring job on the planet.

People need to be kept occupied or they get into all kinds of mischief.

Checkout is OK for the thick ones.

That they have to do it is a consequense of earlier idleness.
I don't feel sorry for them. Everyone makes their own future and has to live
with it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:
[...]

Anyone remember pneumatic tubes for cash or before that the wire across the
cieling that "pinged" a container of cash and change back and forth across
the room?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Road_Hog" wrote in message
. co.uk...

"Cash" wrote in message
DerbyBorn wrote:
[...]

Sad if that's the most fun thing in your day.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:
[...]

Not the wires, but my local oMrrsinos still uses the phewmanic toobs to
take the dosh from the tills to the orifice.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.