Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cleaning uPVC window frames

Our uPVC window frames are in need of a good clean on the outside with
some areas of what looks like mildew outside the bedroom window which is
always left slightly open.

Other than WD40 and an angle grinder, is there a recommended cleaner?
I've seen Stardrops with ammonia and Cif mentioned elsewhere.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, July 21, 2013 10:18:15 AM UTC+1, F wrote:
Our uPVC window frames are in need of a good clean on the outside with

some areas of what looks like mildew outside the bedroom window which is

always left slightly open.

Other than WD40 and an angle grinder, is there a recommended cleaner?

I've seen Stardrops with ammonia and Cif mentioned elsewhere.

0000 grade wire wool and a spray of any cheap old glass cleaner as lubricant. Finish up afterwards with a wax based car polish - another cheapie will do as well - job's a good 'un.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
F news@nowhere writes:
Our uPVC window frames are in need of a good clean on the outside with
some areas of what looks like mildew outside the bedroom window which is
always left slightly open.

Other than WD40 and an angle grinder, is there a recommended cleaner?
I've seen Stardrops with ammonia and Cif mentioned elsewhere.

You can get uPVC cleaner spray from a PVC window wholesaler in a
local industrial estate for very little, and this works very well.

Otherwise, try washing-up liquid in warm water and a soft (plastic)
brush. (Use a good washing-up liquid like Fairy, and not some
cheap/weak/eco type which will just waste your time.)
For encrusted dirt, wet it with this and leave a while for it to
soak through the dirt before brushing off, and rinse the brush
often to prevent loosened dirt in it from scratching the polished
PVC surface.

Never use anything abrasive - this makes the surface get dirty
much faster, and more difficult to clean in the future. Also, some
solvents can damage the surface.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
Our uPVC window frames are in need of a good clean on the outside with
some areas of what looks like mildew outside the bedroom window which
is always left slightly open.

Other than WD40 and an angle grinder, is there a recommended cleaner?
I've seen Stardrops with ammonia and Cif mentioned elsewhere.

I use a paintbrush and washing up liquid solution, then rinse with a
hosepipe.

For ingrained dirt and stains, you'll need a solvent cleaner, I use Ever
Build:
http://www.everbuild.co.uk/cleaners/...product_id=183

You can probably get it on ebay, it's about a fiver from a local pvc place
near here.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...
Our uPVC window frames are in need of a good clean on the outside with
some areas of what looks like mildew outside the bedroom window which is
always left slightly open.

Other than WD40 and an angle grinder, is there a recommended cleaner? I've
seen Stardrops with ammonia and Cif mentioned elsewhere.

I find the missus's nail varnish remover works well, but it is melting the
plastic ever so slightly (it contains acetone) so you have to work it
quickly, as it were. I tried some acetone on its own, and that is a bit too
strong - one day I'm going to find out the best amount of water to add to it
to get the balance right.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
In article ,
"Ivan Dobsky" wrote:

I find the missus's nail varnish remover works well, but it is melting
the plastic ...

"dissolving" is the word you were struggling for. Melting requires the
application of heat.

Fair enough. I very humbly apologise.

--
Tim

"That excessive bail ought not to be required, nor excessive fines
imposed,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/2013 10:18, F wrote:
Our uPVC window frames are in need of a good clean on the outside with
some areas of what looks like mildew outside the bedroom window which is
always left slightly open.

Other than WD40 and an angle grinder, is there a recommended cleaner?
I've seen Stardrops with ammonia and Cif mentioned elsewhere.

UPVC window frame cleaner?
http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsens...-cleaner/86575
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/2013 10:18, F wrote:
Our uPVC window frames are in need of a good clean on the outside with
some areas of what looks like mildew outside the bedroom window which is
always left slightly open.

Other than WD40 and an angle grinder, is there a recommended cleaner?
I've seen Stardrops with ammonia and Cif mentioned elsewhere.

UPVC window frame cleaner?
http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsens...-cleaner/86575

That's the stuiff I used for cleaning our second-hand conservatory
frames and very good it was too.

SteveW

Cleaning UPVC window frames. MuddyMike UK diy 28 February 20th 12 12:34 PM
Removing glue and tape from uPVC window frames Invisible Man[_2_] UK diy 3 March 9th 10 08:00 PM
UPVC Window frames Ian Cornish UK diy 4 August 20th 05 10:00 AM
Fixing plastic hooks to uPVC window frames Jay UK diy 1 March 22nd 04 10:40 PM
cleaning upvc frames TXXT123 UK diy 1 September 20th 03 08:03 PM