Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gaah! Can't they make anything that lasts...

Once again, the "temporary" 9kW instant water has blown up.

This time it was a ZIP (Made in Germany). Control board failure - not
obvious fuses or cutouts. 1 year warranty, 18 months old. Last time it was a
Hyco.

So 2 brands lot to touch...

This time I will try a Stiebel-Eltron.

One day I will have CH and this will all be a bad memory...

No, I cannot do the CH now - I have 20 jobs before that one... Just came on
to moan... Bah. There...

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/2013 10:58, Tim Watts wrote:
Once again, the "temporary" 9kW instant water has blown up.

This time it was a ZIP (Made in Germany). Control board failure - not
obvious fuses or cutouts. 1 year warranty, 18 months old. Last time it was a
Hyco.

Eek - I've got a BNIB Zip ready to install!

So 2 brands lot to touch...

This time I will try a Stiebel-Eltron.

One day I will have CH and this will all be a bad memory...

No, I cannot do the CH now - I have 20 jobs before that one... Just came on
to moan... Bah. There...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday 18 July 2013 13:26 Piers wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 18/07/2013 10:58, Tim Watts wrote:
Once again, the "temporary" 9kW instant water has blown up.

This time it was a ZIP (Made in Germany). Control board failure - not
obvious fuses or cutouts. 1 year warranty, 18 months old. Last time it
was a Hyco.

Eek - I've got a BNIB Zip ready to install!

Keep the reciept :-o

Mine was an ILX009.

It looked very well built, so it might be one off.

It does do the bath too - thought they don't say it shouldn't...

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/2013 13:55, Tim Watts wrote:
On Thursday 18 July 2013 13:26 Piers wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 18/07/2013 10:58, Tim Watts wrote:
Once again, the "temporary" 9kW instant water has blown up.

This time it was a ZIP (Made in Germany). Control board failure - not
obvious fuses or cutouts. 1 year warranty, 18 months old. Last time it
was a Hyco.

Eek - I've got a BNIB Zip ready to install!

Keep the reciept :-o

Mine was an ILX009.

It looked very well built, so it might be one off.

It does do the bath too - thought they don't say it shouldn't...

Interesting. I tried to get the ILX009, but was told (this was in
April) that it had been discontinued by the manufacturer. (It seemed
like wherever I bought it from it would be drop-shipped by the
manufacturer. I see lots of placed still advertising it though.)

I ended up buying the Zip CEX-U which must be better, cos you can get a
remote control for it ;-).

I only bought for it for "temporary use" too - as I don't have any hot
water source near where I need it for kitchen sink and toilet basin use.
But in my world, temporary can be 5+ years!

Agree with you on build quality - it does appear to be a decent bit of
kit, and Zip seemed to have a decent reputation when I was looking.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday 18 July 2013 14:07 Piers wrote in uk.d-i-y:

[...]

Me too...

It's not for laziness either - just insanely busy all of the time..

Agree with you on build quality - it does appear to be a decent bit of
kit, and Zip seemed to have a decent reputation when I was looking.

I was impressed they were using the cold water inlet to cool the power SCR's
heatsink. I was really hoping to find a fuse blown - might take it to bits
and look harder. All the LEDs are out so it's clearly a control PSU or
controller failure.

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Tim Watts wrote:
On Thursday 18 July 2013 13:26 Piers wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 18/07/2013 10:58, Tim Watts wrote:
Once again, the "temporary" 9kW instant water has blown up.

This time it was a ZIP (Made in Germany). Control board failure -
not obvious fuses or cutouts. 1 year warranty, 18 months old. Last
time it was a Hyco.

Eek - I've got a BNIB Zip ready to install!

Keep the reciept :-o

Mine was an ILX009.

It looked very well built, so it might be one off.

It does do the bath too - thought they don't say it shouldn't...

Did the instructions say "Dass ist nicht not the correct way to fill a
bath?"

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday 18 July 2013 20:03 ARW wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Tim Watts wrote:
On Thursday 18 July 2013 13:26 Piers wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 18/07/2013 10:58, Tim Watts wrote:
Once again, the "temporary" 9kW instant water has blown up.

This time it was a ZIP (Made in Germany). Control board failure -
not obvious fuses or cutouts. 1 year warranty, 18 months old. Last
time it was a Hyco.

Eek - I've got a BNIB Zip ready to install!

Keep the reciept :-o

Mine was an ILX009.

It looked very well built, so it might be one off.

It does do the bath too - thought they don't say it shouldn't...

Did the instructions say "Dass ist nicht not the correct way to fill a
bath?"

No.

I think they say:

You vil reroute your 10mm2 because it's a *******, and then you vil vind out
your tap konnektor not fit because ve mill the ends to a V not a step.

So you vil drive to B&Q and buy vun more flexiconnector.

Zen you will veep as it veeps, refusing to tighten up more.

*******s.

Yes, all done. Usual plumbing related swearing.

Neon no longer works in the isolator because its weedy 0.1mm wires have
finally succumbed to the might of the 10mm2[1]. But I don't care about that.

[1] I could have just about used 6mm2 but I did not have any...

And the B&Q flexconnector still has a weep rate of about 5 drops in 10
minutes. I'm hoping that will seal itself off in a day or 3. Dare not
tighten that compression joint any more.

*sigh*

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 23:06:30 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

And the B&Q flexconnector still has a weep rate of about 5 drops in 10
minutes. I'm hoping that will seal itself off in a day or 3. Dare not
tighten that compression joint any more.

The advantage of living in an area like Sussex, where the hard water
means it probably will seal!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday 18 July 2013 23:12 Bob Eager wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 23:06:30 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

And the B&Q flexconnector still has a weep rate of about 5 drops in 10
minutes. I'm hoping that will seal itself off in a day or 3. Dare not
tighten that compression joint any more.

The advantage of living in an area like Sussex, where the hard water
means it probably will seal!

Yes - the other couple of weepy joints from long ago are encrusted with
general greeness

It was a toss up bewteen the B&Q 15-1/2" flexi at £5 or the Speedfit flexi
that had a rather low temperature rating and no locknut on the Speedfit end.

Normally I would buy decent flexis from Toolsatan, which I was in earlier,
except I did not notice the connectors on the heater I had only just
purchased from QVS had a slightly different profile.

What was funnier was that the QVS website - and the paper instructions -
claimed these were 1/2" NPT (yankee style). Perhaps that is why they were
not able to accept a tap connector as my old one was. 1/2" NPT has the same
pitch as 1/2" BSP so who knows what it is...

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Jul 2013 22:12:20 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 23:06:30 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

And the B&Q flexconnector still has a weep rate of about 5 drops in 10
minutes. I'm hoping that will seal itself off in a day or 3. Dare not
tighten that compression joint any more.

The advantage of living in an area like Sussex, where the hard water
means it probably will seal!

JOOI, where does Sussex's water come from? Our water traditionally was
very hard, mainly from deep wells in magnesian limestone, but more
recently is chiefly from river abstraction and a few large impounding
reservoirs.

http://www.ryhopeengines.org.uk/

(I'm a trustee of the above!)

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 00:35:38 +0100, Frank Erskine wrote:

On 18 Jul 2013 22:12:20 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 23:06:30 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

And the B&Q flexconnector still has a weep rate of about 5 drops in 10
minutes. I'm hoping that will seal itself off in a day or 3. Dare not
tighten that compression joint any more.

The advantage of living in an area like Sussex, where the hard water
means it probably will seal!

JOOI, where does Sussex's water come from? Our water traditionally was
very hard, mainly from deep wells in magnesian limestone, but more
recently is chiefly from river abstraction and a few large impounding
reservoirs.

Underground chalk aquifers.

It was a revelation the first time we went on holiday in a soft water
area...used far too much soap!