Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default IP Camera, time stamp oddity

The camera is able to FTP upload its photos, when triggered, to a
folder on one of my websites and has a built in clock, which it is able
to sync with a time server. Power it down and it looses its time/date.
Part of its settings, is the time zone - which I have set for GMT
London. There is no tick box for BST offset, but it does show the
correct BST time in its settings page. The uploads are triggered by any
motion it sees in its picture and the upload goes straight from the
camera, via my router, to the server.

Once uploaded, I can then download the photos to my PC and view them
except the files time stamp is exactly one hour out, 09:02am actual is
marked as 08.02am.

Now if I set it not synchronise with a timeserver, its clock starts
running with a date in 1970 and from 00:00 time. If I do that, the
files are still correctly dated and the time is still one hour slow on
all of the files it uploads via FTP. So its built in clock seems to
serve no purpose, but where is the time and date coming from and why is
it always an hour out, when compared to BST?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Bartram submitted this idea :
[...]

From the timestamp when your PC writes the files, at a guess.

No PC is involved in writing the files. Camera - router - to the
server via FTP.

I have just checked my ruter and it was set sync its time, but to
always use GMT. I have changed that to GMT/BST, rebooted, but the files
are still getting stamped with GMT.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/07/2013 15:50, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

From the timestamp when your PC writes the files, at a guess.

No PC is involved in writing the files. Camera - router - to the
server via FTP.

I have just checked my ruter and it was set sync its time, but to always
use GMT. I have changed that to GMT/BST, rebooted, but the files are
still getting stamped with GMT.

Substitute "the ftp server" for "your pc". Sorry, I assumed the FTP
connection was to your PC.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that Chris Bartram formulated :
[...]

From the timestamp when your PC writes the files, at a guess.

No PC is involved in writing the files. Camera - router - to the
server via FTP.

I have just checked my ruter and it was set sync its time, but to always
use GMT. I have changed that to GMT/BST, rebooted, but the files are
still getting stamped with GMT.

Substitute "the ftp server" for "your pc". Sorry, I assumed the FTP
connection was to your PC.

That makes sense, but nothing much I can do about it, its my ISP's
server. Thanks!

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 16:58:08 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Substitute "the ftp server" for "your pc". Sorry, I assumed the

FTP
connection was to your PC.

That makes sense, but nothing much I can do about it, its my ISP's
server. Thanks!

To eliminate the camera doing silly things what happens to the
date/time of a file uploaded from your PC to the same server?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice submitted this idea :
On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 16:58:08 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Substitute "the ftp server" for "your pc". Sorry, I assumed the FTP
connection was to your PC.

That makes sense, but nothing much I can do about it, its my ISP's
server. Thanks!

To eliminate the camera doing silly things what happens to the
date/time of a file uploaded from your PC to the same server?

Good point...

I have just tried uploading a file from my system, to the server. On my
system the date /time was from June. The date /time of the file once on
the server, changed to todays date and current time -1 or GMT.

So its the server applying its date /time to the files ;-)

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/07/13 10:45, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Dave Liquorice submitted this idea :
On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 16:58:08 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Substitute "the ftp server" for "your pc". Sorry, I assumed the FTP
connection was to your PC.

That makes sense, but nothing much I can do about it, its my ISP's
server. Thanks!

To eliminate the camera doing silly things what happens to the
date/time of a file uploaded from your PC to the same server?

Good point...

I have just tried uploading a file from my system, to the server. On
my system the date /time was from June. The date /time of the file
once on the server, changed to todays date and current time -1 or GMT.

So its the server applying its date /time to the files ;-)

remember that most proper kit will stamp with GMT but display as local
time (BST). Or sometimes not.

you need to be aware of this.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

GU10 oddity Iain UK diy 21 February 22nd 13 12:41 PM
Internet oddity ... Jethro_uk[_2_] UK diy 12 November 19th 12 08:06 PM
Thoughts on this little oddity, anyone ...? Arfa Daily Electronics Repair 44 November 13th 11 03:11 PM
Electrical oddity Limp Arbor Home Repair 1 March 28th 11 04:41 PM