Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT sun and wind question

let's say hypothetically we set up a billion offshore wind turbines and
solar panels, positioned to harvest the maximum energy from wind and sun.
Each turbine, each solar panel steals a small amount of the natural energy,
right?

Would this diminish the energy of wind and sun inland? Could it "use up" the
wind and sun energy if we used enough panels and windmills and therefore
leave less for everything else?

What I'm trying to get at is, at any particular moment in time is the energy
of the wind and sun finite? Or could we harness the complete maximum power
of each but still leave enough to perform all of the natural functions like
carrying seeds, photosynthesis etc? Would it be impossible to "divert"
enough of each to make a difference to everyday life?