Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim-Poncin

Default Wind electric generation question

Any good moderate priced systems for generating electricity? Something big
enough to supply minimal current to a house?

We get substantial winds here, and in April we usually lose power for a day
due to winds and ice, so it would be good to have enough power to keep the
furnace on at least.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"Jim-Poncin" wrote in message
ink.net...
Any good moderate priced systems for generating electricity? Something big
enough to supply minimal current to a house?

We get substantial winds here, and in April we usually lose power for a

day
due to winds and ice, so it would be good to have enough power to keep the
furnace on at least.

Minimal? Definition please. Moderately priced? Like under 10 grand?

Most wind systems are in the 12 -24-48 volt DC varity and less than a 1000
watts.
So you need batteries and a inverter to get started.

I have a friend that has 2 - 400 watt towers and 3- 600 watt towers. He has
over $5k in the batteries and inverter set up. He says typically the tower
deliver a constant 30-40% of rated power in his situation. He did a wind
study before for a year he jumped into the project.
He also has a 400kw generator for when the system does not produce enough
power. Which is frequently.

I applaud your thoughts. A generator is a whole lot cheaper.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PDQ

This may not be what you are seeking but it will put you in the right territory
Air Marine Tower Kit
http://www.mrsolar.com/

--
PDQ

--
"Jim-Poncin" wrote in message ink.net...
| Any good moderate priced systems for generating electricity? Something big
| enough to supply minimal current to a house?
|
| We get substantial winds here, and in April we usually lose power for a day
| due to winds and ice, so it would be good to have enough power to keep the
| furnace on at least.

Posted to alt.home.repair

SQLit wrote:
"Jim-Poncin" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

I was thinking a similar thing. People usually get wind generators as
a technical curiosity - not to save money. If you are just after back
up power, you would be better off getting a generator or battery backed
ups. A propane heater would be the cheapest option to heat your house
without electricity.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

alt energy.homepower is a good place to ask

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

I looked into one from Wind Turbine years ago. It was more than I wanted to
spend, but I don't remember how much. Maybe your definition or "moderate
priced" and mine are different. http://www.windturbine.net/

"Jim-Poncin" wrote in message
ink.net...
Any good moderate priced systems for generating electricity? Something big
enough to supply minimal current to a house?

We get substantial winds here, and in April we usually lose power for a

day
due to winds and ice, so it would be good to have enough power to keep the
furnace on at least.

Posted to alt.home.repair

the type that feeds the power back to the ine shut off automatically
when the power company fails.

the others wouldnt provide enough power and the batteries will cost
more than the power the hold. my best friend has a planbt since 1960 he
calls it his curosity

14 foot blades, 18 mariune batteries running both 12 and 24 volt, with
some solar panels too.

all basically not worth the effort

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bedford Guy

"Jim-Poncin" wrote in
ink.net:

Any good moderate priced systems for generating electricity? Something
big enough to supply minimal current to a house?

We get substantial winds here, and in April we usually lose power for
a day due to winds and ice, so it would be good to have enough power
to keep the furnace on at least.

I did some research into this a year ago. I concluded the only source of
backup power which is affordable is a gas fired generator. All the other
options are extremely expensive.

Permanently installed residential generator sets are not inexpensive. You
could easily spend ten thousand dollars or more by the time you bought
the unit and hardware required to install it. Natural gas would be my
first choice for a fuel, propane would be number two.

I consider portable generators dangerous for too many reasons to list.