Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default News Server Recommendations

Hi all

Following on from "News Server Asking for Username and Password", can anyone recommend a replacement news service for me?

Our local ISP monopoly is Kingston Communications with their brand name Karoo. Apparently their news offering was a mirror of Giganews and Karoo have simply ceased to provide this passed-on service.

As the newsgroup access is used for work related research as well as DIY etc, I may be able to get subs paid for Giganews, but are there any decent free offerings that group members recommend?

The lad I spoke to at KC reckoned there were only 80 news group subscribers (presumably in the entire KC region) which seems very low.

Thanks for recommendations

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Phil Heads wrote:
Hi all

Following on from "News Server Asking for Username and Password", can
anyone recommend a replacement news service for me?

Our local ISP monopoly is Kingston Communications with their brand name
Karoo. Apparently their news offering was a mirror of Giganews and
Karoo have simply ceased to provide this passed-on service.

As the newsgroup access is used for work related research as well as DIY
etc, I may be able to get subs paid for Giganews, but are there any
decent free offerings that group members recommend?

The lad I spoke to at KC reckoned there were only 80 news group
subscribers (presumably in the entire KC region) which seems very low.

Thanks for recommendations

Phil

I use two - both free - since neither carries all the groups I read. Also
if one is down, the other is usually working.

Eternal September
http://www.eternal-september.org/

and

Aioe
http://www.aioe.org/

--
*'ome is where you 'ang your @ *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Phil Heads wrote:
[...]

Another is Teranews which requires a one time fee of I think $5 to sign
up for an ID on their text only groups. They will try to sell you an
upgrade to all binaries for a while afterwards. It isn't quite perfect
and I keep AOIE as a backup server (but that censors posting to some
innocuous UK groups like uk.rec.gardening for some strange reason).

Many people recommend NIN but after reading their T&C I wasn't
convinced. Technically it seems pretty good though. YMMV

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
In article ,
Phil Heads wrote:
[...]

what's wrong with their T&C?

From my pov the only thing wrong with NIN is the aggro of paying the trivial
amount that it costs.

Technically it seems pretty good though. YMMV

it goes down occasionally

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil Heads wrote:
[...]

From my pov the only thing wrong with NIN is the aggro of paying the
trivial amount that it costs.

Technically it seems pretty good though. YMMV

it goes down occasionally

tim

True - and sometimes it seems to have short periods when nothing comes
through despite nothing appearing to be broken. Overall am satisfied.
But its spam removal is generally excellent. I see more spam when people
reply to it than it its original form - by miles.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 09:47:39 +0100
Martin Brown wrote:

In article ,
Phil Heads wrote:
Hi all

snip

Thanks for recommendations

Phil

I use two - both free - since neither carries all the groups I
read. Also if one is down, the other is usually working.

Eternal September
http://www.eternal-september.org/

and

Aioe
http://www.aioe.org/

Another is Teranews which requires a one time fee of I think $5 to
sign up for an ID on their text only groups. They will try to sell
you an upgrade to all binaries for a while afterwards. It isn't quite
perfect and I keep AOIE as a backup server (but that censors posting
to some innocuous UK groups like uk.rec.gardening for some strange
reason).

Many people recommend NIN but after reading their T&C I wasn't
convinced. Technically it seems pretty good though. YMMV

I tried Teranews a few years ago, and it just plain didn't work. I
wasn't the only one with the same trouble, so it wasn't a simple problem
at my end. I just moved on, but I will never try them again.
Eternal-September had a problem a few months ago, but it was fixed
within a few days. While it was on, though, they were dead in the
water. I put it in the 'You try to run a big news-server and do any
better' category; after all, it's free. I have them as my backup
server, but they don't do binaries.
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil Heads wrote:
Hi all

Following on from "News Server Asking for Username and Password", can
anyone recommend a replacement news service for me?

I use two - both free - since neither carries all the groups I read.
Also if one is down, the other is usually working.

Eternal September http://www.eternal-september.org/

and

Aioe http://www.aioe.org/

Another is Teranews which requires a one time fee of I think $5 to sign
up for an ID on their text only groups. They will try to sell you an
upgrade to all binaries for a while afterwards. It isn't quite perfect
and I keep AOIE as a backup server (but that censors posting to some
innocuous UK groups like uk.rec.gardening for some strange reason).

Many people recommend NIN but after reading their T&C I wasn't
convinced. Technically it seems pretty good though. YMMV

What is it about the NIN T&C you don't like? I doubt that I've ever read them, and I've been with them for ~16
years. The service is excellent and well worth the 10 euro per annum.

--
Terry Fields

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

Eternal September
http://www.eternal-september.org/

+1

Never had a problem in 3+ years now.

I'd advise anyone using their ISP news "service" to switch to a free
dedicated news provider. Virgin just seemed to abandon their news service,
no doubt other ISPs are too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
I'd advise anyone using their ISP news "service" to switch to a free
dedicated news provider. Virgin just seemed to abandon their news
service, no doubt other ISPs are too.

TalkTalk switched from a 'free' news provider to one where an extra fee
was required. I responded by switching ISP.
I suppose it is understandable since fewer are using news providers.

--
*Eat well, stay fit, die anyway

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
I'd advise anyone using their ISP news "service" to switch to a free
dedicated news provider. Virgin just seemed to abandon their news
service, no doubt other ISPs are too.

TalkTalk switched from a 'free' news provider to one where an extra fee
was required. I responded by switching ISP.
I suppose it is understandable since fewer are using news providers.

I've got a free account with albasani.net as my headers reveal. Its good
enough for the few groups I peruse.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
I'd advise anyone using their ISP news "service" to switch to a free
dedicated news provider. Virgin just seemed to abandon their news
service, no doubt other ISPs are too.

TalkTalk switched from a 'free' news provider to one where an extra fee
was required. I responded by switching ISP.
I suppose it is understandable since fewer are using news providers.

I've got a free account with albasani.net as my headers reveal. Its good
enough for the few groups I peruse.

Thanks to all respondents.

Posting made via eternal-september.

Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've got a free account with albasani.net as my headers reveal. Its good
enough for the few groups I peruse.

me too

i've got a giganews account with my landline ISP. Trouble is I'm
relocating for work, and having to use a mobile dongle.No news with
Three, and they couldn't tell me their outgoing mail server either. (a
nice man from Plusnet told me what it is)

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

Eternal September
http://www.eternal-september.org/

+1

Never had a problem in 3+ years now.

Another +1 for Eternal September here.

I moved when Entanets started to get crappy and have not looked
back.

Gordon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 09:53:59 +0100, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

I'd advise anyone using their ISP news "service" to switch to a free
dedicated news provider. Virgin just seemed to abandon their news
service,
no doubt other ISPs are too.

Strange, I'm coming to you via Virginmedia's news service!

TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/2013 12:47, The Other John wrote:
On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 09:53:59 +0100, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

I'd advise anyone using their ISP news "service" to switch to a free
dedicated news provider. Virgin just seemed to abandon their news
service,
no doubt other ISPs are too.

Strange, I'm coming to you via Virginmedia's news service!

TOJ.

Is that the text-only server?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 12:54:15 +0100, polygonum wrote:

Is that the text-only server?

How can you tell? I only see text. How do binaries show up?

TOJ.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/2013 09:53, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

Eternal September
http://www.eternal-september.org/

+1

Never had a problem in 3+ years now.

I'd advise anyone using their ISP news "service" to switch to a free
dedicated news provider. Virgin just seemed to abandon their news
service, no doubt other ISPs are too.

I've been using Virginmedia's (or it's predecessors') news server for
IIRC 17 years now; admittedly I don't read many groups these days, but
it's never given me problems sufficient to prompt me to want to change

--
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 09:42:47 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Phil Heads wrote:
[...]

Are you finding E-S
p a i n f u l l y slow today?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 01:30:09 -0700, Phil Heads wrote:

Hi all

Following on from "News Server Asking for Username and Password", can
anyone recommend a replacement news service for me?

Our local ISP monopoly is Kingston Communications with their brand name
Karoo. Apparently their news offering was a mirror of Giganews and
Karoo have simply ceased to provide this passed-on service.

As the newsgroup access is used for work related research as well as DIY
etc, I may be able to get subs paid for Giganews, but are there any
decent free offerings that group members recommend?

The lad I spoke to at KC reckoned there were only 80 news group
subscribers (presumably in the entire KC region) which seems very low.

Thanks for recommendations

Phil

I can recommend Astraweb. Their pay by download plans are great. You buy
a "block" of data then download at your leisure. It may be a few days or
even a couple of years - it doesn't expire (it can take a long time to
download 180GB from usenet!). They carry *a lot* of newsgroups. I've had
very few outages with them over several years now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

That is probably due to the lack of publicity and the fact that many assume
the google interface is all there is.
If ou don't need binaries then eternal september is fine.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active