Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lintel choice & design for window cut into garage wall

Hello,

I wish to install a couple of windows (approx. 90cm. wide)into a single-thickness brick wall of a garage, which I want to convert into a store-room/workshop.

The garage is typical 60s design on semis: Flat roof, too small for a car.

The windows I'm thinking would be of a size that would leave only 3 courses above to the top of the wall. So I am surmising that the easiest would be to support the roof joists, remove the three courses and install a simple lintel.

But which type of lintel? I'm not an expert but it seems that this is a low-load situation and therefore a fairly minimal lintel should suffice. I have seen LA types listed. Is there a simple way to calculate or estimate the spec. needed?

Thanks for any advice.

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Hello,

I wish to install a couple of windows (approx. 90cm. wide)into a
single-thickness brick wall of a garage, which I want to convert into a
store-room/workshop.

The garage is typical 60s design on semis: Flat roof, too small for a car.

The windows I'm thinking would be of a size that would leave only 3
courses above to the top of the wall. So I am surmising that the easiest
would be to support the roof joists, remove the three courses and install
a simple lintel.

But which type of lintel? I'm not an expert but it seems that this is a
low-load situation and therefore a fairly minimal lintel should suffice. I
have seen LA types listed. Is there a simple way to calculate or estimate
the spec. needed?

Thanks for any advice.

Lintel needs to be 1.2m long.
For a 4.5" wall:
Either a pre-stressed concrete lintel 100mm wide or a steel box lintel for
about 4 times the price.

For a 9 " wall, as above x 2

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, June 27, 2013 4:44:38 PM UTC+1, wrote:

Hello,
I wish to install a couple of windows (approx. 90cm. wide)into a single-thickness brick wall of a garage, which I want to convert into a store-room/workshop.
The garage is typical 60s design on semis: Flat roof, too small for a car.
The windows I'm thinking would be of a size that would leave only 3 courses above to the top of the wall. So I am surmising that the easiest would be to support the roof joists, remove the three courses and install a simple lintel.
But which type of lintel? I'm not an expert but it seems that this is a low-load situation and therefore a fairly minimal lintel should suffice. I have seen LA types listed. Is there a simple way to calculate or estimate the spec. needed?
Thanks for any advice.
Chris

A simple wood lintel should be more than adequate in this case. Or if the roof doesnt need the support, just a strip of pvc that looks like a lintel.

NT

Window Lintel issues. Matthew UK diy 8 July 26th 06 08:47 PM
no lintel above window Neil UK diy 8 August 4th 05 08:43 PM
Hang Joists from Steel Beam - Lintel Design TheScullster UK diy 7 March 10th 05 06:54 PM
Drilling into lintel over window. chickenkeeper UK diy 10 February 12th 05 01:06 AM
Drilling into lintel over window. chickenkeeper UK diy 1 February 8th 05 09:13 PM