Neil

Default no lintel above window

I have just noticed that the mortar in the brickwork above the window, in my
sons bedroom, is cracking in the first course of bricks, and 2 of the bricks
have "fallen" slightly. I have been told that the original wooden window
acted as a lintel, and the new plastic one doesn't have the same effect. As
anyone come across this problem, and any ideas how to solve it. One of the
neighbours said a steel plate 1/4 inch ox 2 inch, spanning the window like a
lintel, would be ok, but I am not sure.
Thanks
Neil

john

"Neil" wrote in message
I have just noticed that the mortar in the brickwork above the window, in
my sons bedroom, is cracking in the first course of bricks, and 2 of the
bricks have "fallen" slightly. I have been told that the original wooden
window acted as a lintel, and the new plastic one doesn't have the same
effect. As anyone come across this problem, and any ideas how to solve it.
One of the neighbours said a steel plate 1/4 inch ox 2 inch, spanning the
window like a lintel, would be ok, but I am not sure.
Thanks
Neil

I had the same problem. Only two courses above windows. A builder inserted
a steel angle joist and replaced the bricks above the biggest window. Above
two smaller ones he did some re-mortaring of the bricks. £130.

Christian McArdle

I have been told that the original wooden window acted as a
lintel, and the new plastic one doesn't have the same effect.

Yes, a common problem with incompetent window contractors. Get it fixed
before the wall collapses. A metal angle lintel would indeed be a suitable
solution.

Christian.

Neil

Yes, a common problem with incompetent window contractors. Get it fixed
before the wall collapses. A metal angle lintel would indeed be a suitable
solution.

Christian.

Thanks John and Christian. Without appearing to stupid what is an "angle
lintel". I have only had dealings with catnics and concrete ones.

Neil

john

"Neil" wrote in message

Yes, a common problem with incompetent window contractors. Get it fixed
before the wall collapses. A metal angle lintel would indeed be a
suitable
solution.

Christian.

Thanks John and Christian. Without appearing to stupid what is an "angle
lintel". I have only had dealings with catnics and concrete ones.

Neil

Dunno - I didn't see it. I got the impression it is a L shaped steel strip
where the back upriight sits behind the course of bricks.

john

"Neil" wrote in message

Yes, a common problem with incompetent window contractors. Get it fixed
before the wall collapses. A metal angle lintel would indeed be a
suitable
solution.

Christian.

Thanks John and Christian. Without appearing to stupid what is an "angle
lintel". I have only had dealings with catnics and concrete ones.

Neil

Look at http://www.hy-ten.co.uk/pages/lintel_la2.htm

Neil

Dunno - I didn't see it. I got the impression it is a L shaped steel strip
where the back upriight sits behind the course of bricks.

Cheers John
I will see if I can get one from builders merchants tomorrow. Maybe they do
a galvanised one.
Neil

Neil

Look at http://www.hy-ten.co.uk/pages/lintel_la2.htm

Thanks.
I have checked this site out and looks promising. I have emailed them asking
for details of stockists.
Neil

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Neil" writes:

Look at http://www.hy-ten.co.uk/pages/lintel_la2.htm

Thanks.
I have checked this site out and looks promising. I have emailed them asking
for details of stockists.

All builders merchants stock them.
I think I've seen them in Wickes too.

--