Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default PVC waste pipe diameters

Is there any good reason why the solvent-weld & push-fit pipes with
the same nominal diameters have different real outside diameters?
(The only reason I can think of is so they can sell more pipe whenever
you switch methods.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adam Funk writes:
Is there any good reason why the solvent-weld & push-fit pipes with
the same nominal diameters have different real outside diameters?
(The only reason I can think of is so they can sell more pipe whenever
you switch methods.)

Not 100% sure, but I think the pushfit ones are same diameter as
standard copper pipe sizes, to allow some interchange with copper
pipe and fittings.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-06-24, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
Adam Funk writes:
Is there any good reason why the solvent-weld & push-fit pipes with
the same nominal diameters have different real outside diameters?
(The only reason I can think of is so they can sell more pipe whenever
you switch methods.)

Not 100% sure, but I think the pushfit ones are same diameter as
standard copper pipe sizes, to allow some interchange with copper
pipe and fittings.

Soldering them must be interesting. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/06/2013 10:19, Adam Funk wrote:
Is there any good reason why the solvent-weld & push-fit pipes with
the same nominal diameters have different real outside diameters?
(The only reason I can think of is so they can sell more pipe whenever
you switch methods.)

The pipe size is based upon the bore, so different ODs mean different
wall thickness. To me, that suggests that the thicker (at least up to
2"/50mm) solvent weld pipe is rated to a higher pressure than push-fit.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-06-24, Nightjar wrote:

On 24/06/2013 10:19, Adam Funk wrote:
Is there any good reason why the solvent-weld & push-fit pipes with
the same nominal diameters have different real outside diameters?
(The only reason I can think of is so they can sell more pipe whenever
you switch methods.)

The pipe size is based upon the bore, so different ODs mean different
wall thickness. To me, that suggests that the thicker (at least up to
2"/50mm) solvent weld pipe is rated to a higher pressure than push-fit.

Oh, that would explain it. (I guess there's no point in having the
pipe rated much higher than the pressure that will pop it out of the
push-fit.)

Cooker hood - incompatible hole/spigot/pipe diameters Steve UK diy 2 May 30th 09 10:06 PM
WC overflow going into a sink waste-pipe, soil pipe or shower cubicle? James B UK diy 14 May 19th 07 02:06 PM
Question about water pressure in relation to valve and feeder pipe diameters... Ken Moiarty Home Repair 80 October 23rd 06 03:17 AM
drain pipe diameters jacob UK diy 3 March 11th 05 10:31 PM
Joining Plastic Waste pipe to Lead pipe tinklemagoo UK diy 3 February 19th 04 05:34 AM