Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cooker hood - incompatible hole/spigot/pipe diameters

I want to fit a cooker hood outlet and bought a kit for this.

The outside vent has a spigot of 125mm external diameter. The thickness of
the flexible pipe that fits over it makes the overall diameter a bit
bigger - about 129mm.

The hole's diameter is 127mm which I think is a standard core drill size.
So the spigot plus pipe is too big for the hole. If I force the spigot and
pipe in, it would be very tight and damage the pipe.

As far as I know, the outlet and pipe are standard sizes - but seem
incompatible with the standard size hole.

Can anyone advise where I'm going wrong and/or any good solutions
(preferably not involving enlarging the hole!).

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:
I want to fit a cooker hood outlet and bought a kit for this.

The outside vent has a spigot of 125mm external diameter. The thickness of
the flexible pipe that fits over it makes the overall diameter a bit
bigger - about 129mm.

The hole's diameter is 127mm which I think is a standard core drill size.
So the spigot plus pipe is too big for the hole. If I force the spigot and
pipe in, it would be very tight and damage the pipe.

As far as I know, the outlet and pipe are standard sizes - but seem
incompatible with the standard size hole.

Can anyone advise where I'm going wrong and/or any good solutions
(preferably not involving enlarging the hole!).

Thanks

Cutting a few slots in a solid pipe enables it to squish in a few mm.
Then you reseal it by wrapping the exposed slotted section with duct
tape. There are other ways too.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Steve wrote:
[...]

Thanks NT - great idea.

Question about water pressure in relation to valve and feeder pipe diameters... Ken Moiarty Home Repair 80 October 23rd 06 03:17 AM
Which extractor pipe for new cooker hood [email protected] UK diy 5 February 10th 06 03:50 AM
AEG Cooker hood dazzle UK diy 2 February 2nd 06 11:28 AM
drain pipe diameters jacob UK diy 3 March 11th 05 10:31 PM
Cooker Hood Extractor pipe length Stephen Jones UK diy 13 October 1st 04 04:29 PM