Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Garage Door

Eventually getting round to it...

Was trying to find least expensive wire brish for angle grinder when I
fell across polycarbide abrasive wheels.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Powe.../sd1920/p18114

Another site says:

"Ideal for use with angle grinders for automotive, engineering, DIY,
marine and other applications for the removal of paint/rust and other
flaking materials. Manufactured from nylon woven cord with a
polyurethane coating impregnated with silicon carbide on a plastic
backing disc."

This sounds as if it might be nicer to use. But I do still want to get
the job done decently. Anyone got experience of both wire and this
new-fangled polycarbide? Which is easier, better to use?

Really only got one garage door to do so product lifetime doesn't seem
to be much of an issue.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 09:52:27 +0100, polygonum wrote:

This sounds as if it might be nicer to use. But I do still want to get
the job done decently. Anyone got experience of both wire and this
new-fangled polycarbide? Which is easier, better to use?

Not in a grinder, but in a drill - and there's no comparison. The
polycarbide are a league ahead.

TBH, I'm not sure I'd want to use either in a grinder - far too fast.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 09:37:10 +0000 (UTC), Adrian wrote:

On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 09:52:27 +0100, polygonum wrote:

This sounds as if it might be nicer to use. But I do still want to get
the job done decently. Anyone got experience of both wire and this
new-fangled polycarbide? Which is easier, better to use?

Not in a grinder, but in a drill - and there's no comparison. The
polycarbide are a league ahead.

TBH, I'm not sure I'd want to use either in a grinder - far too fast.

*Some* of 3M versions of those are suitable for angle grinder use depending on
the rpm of the grinder (Bosch 4.5 inch angle grinders are 11000rpm)

10000 rpm limit
http://catalogue.3m.eu/en_gb/gb-asd/...ked_Disc~61172

11000 rpm lmit
http://catalogue.3m.eu/en_gb/gb-asd/...gid_Disc~61174