LordSnooty

Default Myson TRVs and OAPs

Hi guys.

Southwark council have just kindly installed a new central heating
system into the home of one of our local OAPs. they have dementia too
and are having a terrible time adjusting these to the correct
temperature, usually resulting in them all being left full on, the
house was 28c when we visited last and all the rads were set at
maximum, keep telling them to leave them on 2 but it's no use. Is
there anyway to lock these into a particular setting, say number two?
I took the valve tops off but this simply opens the valve fully on,
so no good. short of wrapping them in duct tape or putting a screw in
the side, are there any other bright ideas?

Thanks.
Grimly Curmudgeon

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 12:43:32 +0000, LordSnooty
wrote:

Hi guys.

Southwark council have just kindly installed a new central heating
system into the home of one of our local OAPs. they have dementia too
and are having a terrible time adjusting these to the correct
temperature, usually resulting in them all being left full on, the
house was 28c when we visited last and all the rads were set at
maximum, keep telling them to leave them on 2 but it's no use. Is
there anyway to lock these into a particular setting, say number two?
I took the valve tops off but this simply opens the valve fully on,
so no good. short of wrapping them in duct tape or putting a screw in
the side, are there any other bright ideas?

The Myson TRVs have a little insert flat pin thingy you can set the
maximum opening with. If they're not there, the installers more than
likely just chucked them.

You can probably get replacements from Myson.
--

Dave
Jim

You might also want to consider that what is warm to you will be cold to the
elderly. They may find a way to defeat whatever you do.

Colin Wilson

You might also want to consider that what is warm to you will be cold to the
elderly. They may find a way to defeat whatever you do.

True - the liver produces most of the heat in the body apparently, and if
that`s starting to pack in, they feel cold constantly.

Happened to my father in law over the last couple of years before he
died.

Colin Wilson

You might also want to consider that what is warm to you will be cold to the
elderly. They may find a way to defeat whatever you do.

True - the liver produces most of the heat in the body apparently, and if
that`s starting to pack in, they feel cold constantly.
Happened to my father in law over the last couple of years before he
died.

Forgot to add - the purchase of a decent electric blanket was probably
the best "not an early christmas present" gift he`d had for some time,
and made his final months a lot more comfortable...

James Salisbury

"LordSnooty" wrote in message
Hi guys.

Southwark council have just kindly installed a new central heating
system into the home of one of our local OAPs. they have dementia too
and are having a terrible time adjusting these to the correct
temperature, usually resulting in them all being left full on, the
house was 28c when we visited last and all the rads were set at
maximum, keep telling them to leave them on 2 but it's no use. Is
there anyway to lock these into a particular setting, say number two?
I took the valve tops off but this simply opens the valve fully on,
so no good. short of wrapping them in duct tape or putting a screw in
the side, are there any other bright ideas?

Thanks.

No2 is probably too cold for them, ask for advice from age concern as to
what should be the correct temprature, and then set the room stat
accordingly.

Dave Plowman

In article ,
James Salisbury wrote:
No2 is probably too cold for them, ask for advice from age concern as to
what should be the correct temprature, and then set the room stat
accordingly.

I'd say No2 is virtually off. 4 would be more like it for the elderly.

--
*INDECISION is the key to FLEXIBILITY *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Dave Liquorice

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 16:58:58 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

The Myson TRVs have a little insert flat pin thingy you can set the
maximum opening with. If they're not there, the installers more than
likely just chucked them.

The cheap bandq ones I have you can adjust two little plastic pegs to
set min and max "temperatures". With the elderly it is probably worth
setting both if you can so they can't turn them down to low. People
die of cold in houses more often than exccessive heating.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

LordSnooty

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 21:39:02 -0000, Colin Wilson
wrote:

You might also want to consider that what is warm to you will be cold to the
elderly. They may find a way to defeat whatever you do.

True - the liver produces most of the heat in the body apparently, and if
that`s starting to pack in, they feel cold constantly.

Happened to my father in law over the last couple of years before he
died.

Yes both quite true and we are aware of those problems. The OAP gets
two or three visits daily and one radiator they use the most will be
left unrestricted.

It's just an attempt to avoid switching the rads off and the place
left freezing, and switching them full on, when the place is too hot
28c.

They have always used hot water bottles, and it is a nightly routine
in the winter evenings.

Thnx
LordSnooty

wrote:

Hi guys.

Southwark council have just kindly installed a new central heating
system into the home of one of our local OAPs. they have dementia too
and are having a terrible time adjusting these to the correct
temperature, usually resulting in them all being left full on, the
house was 28c when we visited last and all the rads were set at
maximum, keep telling them to leave them on 2 but it's no use. Is
there anyway to lock these into a particular setting, say number two?
I took the valve tops off but this simply opens the valve fully on,
so no good. short of wrapping them in duct tape or putting a screw in
the side, are there any other bright ideas?

The Myson TRVs have a little insert flat pin thingy you can set the
maximum opening with. If they're not there, the installers more than
likely just chucked them.

Could you be a little more descriptive, there does appear to be a
double pin thingy sticking out ever so slightly from the bottom of the
plastic. what does one do with it to adjust the setting?

Thanks.

Andy Hall

wrote:

[...]

Generally there is a circle of small holes and two pegs underneath the
head. You simply move the pegs to the appropriate holes and this
limits the amount that the head can be turned.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
LordSnooty

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 09:24:41 -0000, "James Salisbury"
wrote:

"LordSnooty" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

It's around 21c and the idea is this would be the minimum it was
allowed to drop to. Age Concern recommend around 22/23c

The settings are * - 1 - 11 - & - 111 or full on.
John Laird

wrote:

Could you be a little more descriptive, there does appear to be a
double pin thingy sticking out ever so slightly from the bottom of the
plastic. what does one do with it to adjust the setting?

Possibly it can be pulled out (downwards) and reinserted further around.
There are often two, which act as stops preventing the head from being moved
further than a required setting. Stick them close enough together and you
can more or less fix the setting.

--
Some drink from the fountain of knowledge, others gargle.

Mail john rather than nospam...
LordSnooty

wrote:

Could you be a little more descriptive, there does appear to be a
double pin thingy sticking out ever so slightly from the bottom of the
plastic. what does one do with it to adjust the setting?

Possibly it can be pulled out (downwards) and reinserted further around.
There are often two, which act as stops preventing the head from being moved
further than a required setting. Stick them close enough together and you
can more or less fix the setting.

I'll give that a look next time we visit then.

Thanks guys for all your help, I'll also suggest the heating blanket.

Thanks.