Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The "Viking disease"

I thought this was something peculiar to me, and being too
shy to ask for help I have suffered it all alone:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...uytren_fcm.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dupuytren%27s_contracture
Dupuytren's contracture is a non-specific affliction, but primarily
affects:
People of Scandinavian or Northern European ancestry;[3] it has been
called the "Viking disease" or "Celtic hand",

It is not a big problem for me.
Maybe someone in this group know about a diy-solution?
--
jo
"When you are in a hole, stop digging"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, June 1, 2013 2:37:27 PM UTC+1, Jo Stein wrote:
I thought this was something peculiar to me, and being too

shy to ask for help I have suffered it all alone:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...uytren_fcm.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dupuytren%27s_contracture

Dupuytren's contracture is a non-specific affliction, but primarily

affects:

People of Scandinavian or Northern European ancestry;[3] it has been

called the "Viking disease" or "Celtic hand",

It is not a big problem for me.

Maybe someone in this group know about a diy-solution?

--

jo

"When you are in a hole, stop digging"

A DIY "solution"? Hmm, that'll be an angle grinder then.
Get a grip, do what I'm having to do, see your GP, get a referral, get told to wait until it reaches the stage that it affects your "life style" and then rinse and repeat.
Allegedly, once I can no longer type, grip, pick my nose, hold a fork, etc, with the affected digits then, and only then, will they perform a simple 'op to correct the matter. Apparantly it returns as well, but I should be dead by then.
As for DIY, can't really so what you'd do other than slice through the tendons with a carpet knife, oh, hang on............
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jo Stein" wrote in message
I thought this was something peculiar to me, and being too
shy to ask for help I have suffered it all alone:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...uytren_fcm.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dupuytren%27s_contracture
Dupuytren's contracture is a non-specific affliction, but primarily
affects:
People of Scandinavian or Northern European ancestry;[3] it has been
called the "Viking disease" or "Celtic hand",

It is not a big problem for me.
Maybe someone in this group know about a diy-solution?

Just discovered it starting in my left hand a month or so ago. Turns out
it's hereditary and am told my dad (now deceased) had it and had it operated
on once it got bad enough which I was previously unaware of. No big deal
apparently. You have to wait until it gets fairly pronounced and it's
pulling the fingers over and then it's a simple op.
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Baker" wrote:
You have to wait until it gets fairly pronounced and it's pulling the

fingers over and then it's a simple op.

Hmm, not *that* simple and prone to recurrence.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01.06.2013 15:50, Dave Baker wrote:

Just discovered it starting in my left hand a month or so ago. Turns out
it's hereditary and am told my dad (now deceased) had it and had it
operated on once it got bad enough which I was previously unaware of. No
big deal apparently. You have to wait until it gets fairly pronounced
and it's pulling the fingers over and then it's a simple op.

Her I found a video about a stuff called Xiaflex:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=LUbLk2ZfzPo

I may talk to my expensive GP about it, and I am sure he do not
recommend any diy-repair.
--
jo
Two blonde girls were working for the city public works department.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jo Stein" wrote in message
[...]

Why did you ask this in a UK diy group - if you are not in the UK and this
is not a diy matter - intriguing? Even so, I have trigger finger in most of
my fingers - is this related to DC? Margaret Thatcher had DC - she had the
operation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 01 Jun 2013 17:34:08 +0100, Geoff Pearson wrote:

"Jo Stein" wrote in message
[...]

Trigger finger is completely different - but much more easily fixed.

BTDTGTTS - and my surgeon had had it himself so had useful tips to follow
afterwards.

Twitter wish to tweet them they can pay me Β£30 a post
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jo Stein" wrote in message
[...]

But not permanently fixed - I have had surgery on one finger and that has
come back, I am on my second and last steroid injection on several others
and they are coming back.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 01 Jun 2013 15:37:27 +0200, Jo Stein wrote:

I thought this was something peculiar to me, and being too shy to ask
for help I have suffered it all alone:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...fcm.jpg/230px-

Morbus_dupuytren_fcm.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dupuytren%27s_contracture

Dupuytren's contracture is a non-specific affliction, but primarily
affects:

People of Scandinavian or Northern European ancestry;[3] it has been
called the "Viking disease" or "Celtic hand",

It is not a big problem for me. Maybe someone in this group know about a diy-solution?

Bolt cutters? Angle grinder?

More seriously, I have one of these, had it for 20 years. It had got to the point where it was the size of a dried
pea, and felt like that e.g. when using a steering-wheel. It was uncomfortable enough that I was contemplating
using driving gloves to ease the pressure on it. A colleague who was a GP examined it, and confirmed it was a
DC. He advised gently bending the affected finger backwards against the contraction, which made the area very
red.

It was about this time I started to get arthritis, in knuckle and toe joints, for which I upped my daily dose of cod-
liver oil to the maximum, increased my vitamin C to 2g a day, and took selenium and glucosamine supplements.
The redness disappeared from the joints over time, and to my surprise the DC started receding, reaching the
current minimum in about 9 months. Twenty years later it's still there, but I never notice its much reduced
presence, and I now hardly ever do the stretching exercise.

Beats having one's finger bolt-cuttered off, IMHO.

--
Terry Fields
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2013 15:08, Terry Fields wrote:
[...]

What specifically made you decide to take selenium?

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 01 Jun 2013 16:26:40 +0100, polygonum wrote:

[...]

I'd read that arthritic joints had low levels of the stuff, so it might have been a good idea to take some. It certainly
improved my vision, which I think is due to some optic-nerve effect that derives from low selenium intake.
--
Terry Fields
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2013 16:43, Terry Fields wrote:
What specifically made you decide to take selenium?

I'd read that arthritic joints had low levels of the stuff, so it might have been a good idea to take some. It certainly
improved my vision, which I think is due to some optic-nerve effect that derives from low selenium intake.

Thank you.

I asked because my particular area of interest is thyroid in which three
of the specific thyroid hormone enzymes (at least) are seleno-proteins.
Selenium supplementation is often discussed and there are papers which
present evidence for its use in both hypothyroidism and at least the
majority form of hyperthyroidism.

We in the UK probably have inadequate selenium - especially since our
wheat sources switched away from (high selenium) north American wheat.
And anyway, a significant proportion of hypothyroid sufferers shun wheat
(whether coeliac, wheat intolerant, or simply feel better without it).

My own eyesight improved by correction of thyroid hormone levels.

I have supplemented with selenium (100 micrograms per day) but have
never noticed even the slightest change that I feel I can attribute to
the selenium.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2013 17:49, polygonum wrote:

Postgrad Med. 2002 Apr;111(4):87-8, 91-2.

Endocrine origins of rheumatic disease. Diagnostic clues to interrelated
syndromes.

Lockshin MD.

Source

Barbara Volcker Center, Hospital for Special Surgery, Cornell University
Joan and Sanford I. Weill Medical College, Graduate School of Medical
Sciences, New York, NY, USA.

Abstract

Heightened awareness of endocrine abnormalities is important in
evaluation of patients presenting with musculoskeletal symptoms.
Endocrine disorders such as diabetes, hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism,
hyperparathyroidism, hypoparathyroidism, hyperadrenocorticism, and
acromegaly cause a unique array of rheumatic manifestations. Such
conditions include Dupuytren's contracture, carpal tunnel syndrome,
chondrocalcinosis, pseudogout, scleredema, and osteoporosis.
Characteristic changes on radiologic evaluation and serum enzyme testing
are additional clues to these atypical presentations. Consideration of a
possible endocrine cause early in the evaluation may improve management
in patients with such an underlying disorder.

PMID:
11985136

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11985136

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It was about this time I started to get arthritis, in knuckle and toe joints,
for which I upped my daily dose of cod-
liver oil to the maximum, increased my vitamin C to 2g a day, and took selenium
and glucosamine supplements.
The redness disappeared from the joints over time, and to my surprise the DC
started receding, reaching the
current minimum in about 9 months. Twenty years later it's still there, but I
never notice its much reduced
presence, and I now hardly ever do the stretching exercise.

JOOI what do you think worked best out of that lot Terry?...

Beats having one's finger bolt-cuttered off, IMHO.

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 01 Jun 2013 21:29:08 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

It was about this time I started to get arthritis, in knuckle and toe
joints, for which I upped my daily dose of cod-
liver oil to the maximum, increased my vitamin C to 2g a day, and took
selenium and glucosamine supplements.
The redness disappeared from the joints over time, and to my surprise
the DC started receding, reaching the current minimum in about 9 months.
Twenty years later it's still there, but I never notice its much reduced
presence, and I now hardly ever do the stretching exercise.

JOOI what do you think worked best out of that lot Terry?...

Frankly, I don't know. It should be made clear that I took the supplementation for arthritic joints, and the DC
cleared up as well. I think glucosamine is part of the building-blocks for connective tissue, so it could be down to
that.

Interestingly, the arthritic bone growth on my knuckle also disappeared, although I can't recall the timescale of
that, but that on my big toe hasn't. Neither cause any discomfort these days, so long as the supplementation
continues. I've tried missing it out, but the joint pains always come back.

Beats having one's finger bolt-cuttered off, IMHO.

--
Terry Fields

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jo Stein wrote:
I thought this was something peculiar to me, and being too
shy to ask for help I have suffered it all alone:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...uytren_fcm.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dupuytren%27s_contracture
Dupuytren's contracture is a non-specific affliction, but primarily
affects:
People of Scandinavian or Northern European ancestry;[3] it has been
called the "Viking disease" or "Celtic hand",

It is not a big problem for me.
Maybe someone in this group know about a diy-solution?

Unless you're up to DIY microsurgery and Z-plasty, not really.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well I'd never known what it was called, but I suspect from the description,
most of us know at least one person who suffers from it as they get older.
Obviously getting it young is unfortunate, but its pretty common and so
seems to be surgery to fix it cos most people live with it for a time and by
then that is the only way forward.

I guess men just hate going to doctors!

I am free of it, in fact I have a kind of opposite issue wher some of my
finger joints over deviate, whch makes some people wince for some reason.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Jo Stein" wrote in message
I thought this was something peculiar to me, and being too
shy to ask for help I have suffered it all alone:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...uytren_fcm.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dupuytren%27s_contracture
Dupuytren's contracture is a non-specific affliction, but primarily
affects:
People of Scandinavian or Northern European ancestry;[3] it has been
called the "Viking disease" or "Celtic hand",

It is not a big problem for me.
Maybe someone in this group know about a diy-solution?
--
jo
"When you are in a hole, stop digging"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2013 14:37, Jo Stein wrote:
I thought this was something peculiar to me, and being too
shy to ask for help I have suffered it all alone:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...uytren_fcm.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dupuytren%27s_contracture
Dupuytren's contracture is a non-specific affliction, but primarily
affects:
People of Scandinavian or Northern European ancestry;[3] it has been
called the "Viking disease" or "Celtic hand",

It is not a big problem for me.
Maybe someone in this group know about a diy-solution?

Wow! I never knew there was a name for it. I've had it for about 10
years (started age about 50). Other than looking slightly odd I haven't
felt any other effects and it doesn't seem to have got any worse over
the years. Perhaps real ale inhibits its progress :-)

Biggles
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, June 2, 2013 9:55:47 PM UTC+12, Biggles wrote:
On 01/06/2013 14:37, Jo Stein wrote:

I thought this was something peculiar to me, and being too

shy to ask for help I have suffered it all alone:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...uytren_fcm.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dupuytren%27s_contracture

Dupuytren's contracture is a non-specific affliction, but primarily

affects:

People of Scandinavian or Northern European ancestry;[3] it has been

called the "Viking disease" or "Celtic hand",

It is not a big problem for me.

Maybe someone in this group know about a diy-solution?

Wow! I never knew there was a name for it. I've had it for about 10

years (started age about 50). Other than looking slightly odd I haven't

felt any other effects and it doesn't seem to have got any worse over

the years. Perhaps real ale inhibits its progress :-)

Biggles

My Dupuytren's was getting worse until I started being more careful with my hands. I now avoid knocking the palms of my hands. So no more loud clapping, no holding hammer drills in the palms, no winding up tram jacks 500 times! They have been unchanged for about 6 years now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/2013 11:10, Matty F wrote:
My Dupuytren's was getting worse until I started being more careful with my hands. I now avoid knocking the palms of my hands. So no more loud clapping, no holding hammer drills in the palms, no winding up tram jacks 500 times! They have been unchanged for about 6 years now.

On the other hand ( :-) ), it could be the selenium content of the ale:

"Beer contains significant amounts of magnesium, selenium, potassium,
phosphorus, biotin, and is chock full of B vitamins."

http://www.realbeer.com/edu/health/good-bad.php

(That was simply the first site that made a specific reference. I think
I have read about it before - ICBW.)

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Maybe someone in this group know about a diy-solution?

You need to wank more.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

Maybe someone in this group know about a diy-solution?

You need to wank more.

The OP has a girls name. Are you going to lend your tool to help her do
this?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Maybe someone in this group know about a diy-solution?

You need to wank more.

The OP has a girls name.

Do you reckon she's as cute as her fellow-countrywoman, Jo Nesbo?
http://jonesbo.com/#!/about-the-author

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 2 Jun 2013 16:30:52 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:

You need to wank more.

The OP has a girls name.

That ain't no lady.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jo Stein wrote:
I thought this was something peculiar to me, and being too
shy to ask for help I have suffered it all alone:

Nah, I know four people who have it.

Lots of Celt/Viking descendants in the UK. Stories about the efficacy of
treatment vary, some doctors seem to misdiagnose it as RSI.

--
€’DarWin|
_/ _/I

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/06/2013 00:48, Steve Firth wrote:
Jo Stein wrote:
I thought this was something peculiar to me, and being too
shy to ask for help I have suffered it all alone:

Nah, I know four people who have it.

Lots of Celt/Viking descendants in the UK. Stories about the efficacy of
treatment vary, some doctors seem to misdiagnose it as RSI.

In the thyroid world many, many feel they are alone in their suffering
for various reasons. (All too often when repeatedly told by medics that
everyone else they treat gets better. So why aren't they running
marathons?) RSI diagnoses are rife there as well - though often
resolving upon treatment. Joining a support group seems to help many. In
this case, one relevant organisation might be:

http://www.dupuytrens-society.org/index.html

Who apparently work alongside the international mob:

http://www.dupuytren-online.info/

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I thought this was something peculiar to me, and being too shy to ask
for help I have suffered it all alone:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...fcm.jpg/230px-

Morbus_dupuytren_fcm.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dupuytren%27s_contracture
Dupuytren's contracture is a non-specific affliction, but primarily
affects:
People of Scandinavian or Northern European ancestry;[3] it has been
called the "Viking disease" or "Celtic hand",

It is not a big problem for me.
Maybe someone in this group know about a diy-solution?

Interesting. Having an interest in family history, I thought it would be
fun to get my deep ancestry checked via a DNA analysis. Turns out I have
Viking ancestry. I also have Dupuytren's contracture on the little
finger of my left hand. Nothing serious yet, although the thickened
tendon does get bruised and sore occasionally where it is raised above
my palm. Didn't know it was a feature of my Viking ancestry though!

I've got a DC, blood group B (possibly from Siberia), and my family can trace their origins back a thousand
years to the York area. I'd be interested in getting my possible Viking ancestry DNA checked out - could you post
some details, such as a web page? TIA.

In these days, where we are all regarded as immigrants to the UK and people are referred to as British of
country descent, it might be an idea to describe onself as British of Viking descent!

--
Terry Fields
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 01 Jun 2013 17:42:35 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On 1 Jun 2013 14:31:23 GMT, Terry Fields
wrote:

I've got a DC, blood group B (possibly from Siberia), and my family can
trace their origins back a thousand years to the York area. I'd be
interested in getting my possible Viking ancestry DNA checked out -
could you post some details, such as a web page? TIA.

As to suggesting where you could get your distant ancestry checked, my
family on my father's side are Scots, so I initially went for a Y-DNA
analysis via ScotlandsDNA, http://www.scotlandsdna.com/.

But I'm not sure I'd recommend ScotlandsDNA. There is another
organisation, the Scottish DNA project, http://www.scottishdna.net/,
which is part of a much wider American based organisation,
FamilyTreeDNA, http://www.familytreedna.com/.

But none of it's cheap! I haven't looked at the prices recently, but
expect something in the Β£100 - Β£200 range, depending on what you want
doing.

Good luck!

Many thanks for taking the time to put together the comprehensive information. It's a fascinating subject, and
one I'll be following up.

--
Terry Fields
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2013 17:42, Chris Hogg wrote:

Incidentally, and depending which
system of nomenclature you look at, on my father's side my key markers
are M258, M253, S142, P109 or on another system, I1d1, although I
think the latter has been reclassified to I1a2a. That makes me of
Scandinavian origin. On my mother's side I'm J1c5c, (the nomenclature
is better standardised for mtDNA), which makes her lineage extend back
to the first farmers, possibly arising in Mesopotamia i.e. what is now
Iraq. I have blue eyes, and apparently that also links me back to the
early farmers in Mesopotamia.

While fascinating, what I don't quite get about all this ancestral DNA
analysis is why virtually everyone doesn't have all the same ancestry?
As in, take someone like me who is "White British"; I've done a bit of
genealogical research on my roots and for example if I go back 5
generations, every single one of my gt-gt-gt grandparents was also white
british - that's 32 individuals, each of whom contribute 3% of my DNA.
generations (which I would guess is round about the time the Vikings
were doing their thing here) and we're at a mind-boggling 10 to the
power of 15; compare that with the UK population at the time (say 2
million?) and if I'm doing my sums right, that's a factor of 500 billion.

In other words, there must have been massive cross-breeding of the
population and diluting/mixing of the DNA here since Viking times, and
surely it would be incredibly *unlikely* that anybody in my position
would *not* have Viking blood (or Roman, or Anglo-Saxon) in them?

And doesn't the same thing apply to tracing your roots back to the first
emigrants from Africa etc? etc?

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/2013 16:23, Chris Hogg wrote:

It's an enormous subject, and growing all the time. I'm sure I haven't
answered your points very well, but if you want to know more, here are
some books that might interest you:

Thanks for the lesson! fascinating topic.

--
David