Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lost Battery Power

If only I could save all the power that I have to throw out in
batteries because I have no way of using it.
We use two portable radios, both of which decide on their own that
their AA battery power level has dropped below what they will accept,
and they shut off. But there is plenty of power still in the batteries.
The only use we have for AA batteries, other than the radios, is
MiniMaglite torches, but they are used only on rare occasions, so the
supply of useable batteries is getting bigger and bigger. Considering
the cost of batteries, we are throwing away lots of pounds'-worth of
battery power.
How can I make sensible use of this lost power? Over a year, it must
add up to a quite considerable amount. I hate to throw it all away.
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Davey" wrote in message
If only I could save all the power that I have to throw out in
batteries because I have no way of using it.
We use two portable radios, both of which decide on their own that
their AA battery power level has dropped below what they will accept,
and they shut off. But there is plenty of power still in the batteries.
The only use we have for AA batteries, other than the radios, is
MiniMaglite torches, but they are used only on rare occasions, so the
supply of useable batteries is getting bigger and bigger. Considering
the cost of batteries, we are throwing away lots of pounds'-worth of
battery power.
How can I make sensible use of this lost power? Over a year, it must
add up to a quite considerable amount. I hate to throw it all away.
--
Davey.

Change radio channel (quit the heavy rock)? Buy a few dozen clocks? Build a
coffee table? Take zillions of pictures? Bird table?
I know what you mean though. My mice die prematurely but I usually stuff the
batts into clocks/bin. Must cost thousands per kWh.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The issue is of voltage drop when onload as the resistance increases inside
the battery I feel. I wonder if one could get a configurabble device with a
power lead for the portable item so you just use some form of invertor to
make the required voltage from any input voltage, that way you could have
several batterins and still get the same voltage out till the internal
resistance increases beyond the ability to work. You could tell which
batteries are suffering by them getting warm.
I notice modern electric chavers seem to use some kind of management like
this to preserve the torque and speed of the motors for ages after one
might expect the batteries to die, sadly though they tend to just stop
without warning under this arrangement... grin.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"bm" wrote in message
b.com...

"Davey" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2013 10:44, Brian Gaff wrote:
I notice modern electric chavers seem to use some kind of management like
this to preserve the torque and speed of the motors for ages after one
might expect the batteries to die, sadly though they tend to just stop
without warning under this arrangement... grin.

Brian

In the spirit of "grin"...

Is that what chavs use to get rid of facial hair? :-)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 May 2013 10:44:11 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

The issue is of voltage drop when onload as the resistance increases inside
the battery I feel. I wonder if one could get a configurabble device with a
power lead for the portable item so you just use some form of invertor to
make the required voltage from any input voltage, that way you could have
several batterins and still get the same voltage out till the internal
resistance increases beyond the ability to work. You could tell which
batteries are suffering by them getting warm.

Common in LED torch drivers.
In my pocket I have an SK68 clone with a boost driver that runs the
LED from any AA (1.2 or 1.5V) or lithium battery of the right physical
size (14500, iirc) at 3.7V.
The output on the lithium battery is definitely superior, but a
rechargeable NiMH drives it fine.
So some jiggering about with a combo of these things could release the
last gasps of power in half-dead AA alkalines, iwt, as the OP
requires.
Of course, if I were the OP I'd ditch alkalines entirely and move to
Eneloops or similar.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

But I, the OP, have already stated that I don't have enough torch use
for the batteries that I already have left over from the radios, so
that is not a relevant answer. Ideally, I am looking for a way of taking
the unused power from the batteries, and storing it somewhere where I
can use it where I want to. Yes, it's pie in the sky, but if
only............. that's how great inventions start.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Use 'em as weights for a gravity powered generator

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 May 2013 20:53:17 +0100, Davey
wrote:

But I, the OP, have already stated that I don't have enough torch use
for the batteries that I already have left over from the radios, so
that is not a relevant answer.

Yes, it is.
If you utilise a boost circuit you can extract the last gasp from your
original batteries and bin them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, May 24, 2013 12:04:10 AM UTC+1, Davey wrote:
If only I could save all the power that I have to throw out in

batteries because I have no way of using it.

We use two portable radios, both of which decide on their own that

their AA battery power level has dropped below what they will accept,

and they shut off. But there is plenty of power still in the batteries.

The only use we have for AA batteries, other than the radios, is

MiniMaglite torches, but they are used only on rare occasions, so the

supply of useable batteries is getting bigger and bigger. Considering

the cost of batteries, we are throwing away lots of pounds'-worth of

battery power.

How can I make sensible use of this lost power? Over a year, it must

add up to a quite considerable amount. I hate to throw it all away.

go rechargeable, less than 1p per batteryful
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 May 2013 08:11:56 +0100, RJH wrote:

I've moved almost entirely to Eneloop-type batteries - even in things
like remotes - over the past couple of years. I haven't noticed any
particular problem as yet.

Rechargeables is probably the way to go with the low self discharge NiMH
ones(*) and decent charger. The Lidl batteries and charger fall into that
category.

The snag might be with the kit as rechargeables have a lower voltage and
the kit might think they are "flat" way before they are. Decent kit that
does shutdown based on battery voltage may have an option to select
between ordinary and rechargeable batteries.

(*) Distinguishable in store by being marked "ready to use" and
"rechargeable". I add the last bit as I've noticed some primary cells
jumping onto that marketing band wagon...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 May 2013 08:59:29 +0100 (BST), Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Fri, 24 May 2013 08:11:56 +0100, RJH wrote:

I've moved almost entirely to Eneloop-type batteries - even in things
like remotes - over the past couple of years. I haven't noticed any
particular problem as yet.

Rechargeables is probably the way to go with the low self discharge NiMH
ones(*) and decent charger. The Lidl batteries and charger fall into that
category.

The snag might be with the kit as rechargeables have a lower voltage and
the kit might think they are "flat" way before they are. Decent kit that
does shutdown based on battery voltage may have an option to select
between ordinary and rechargeable batteries.

Before using rechargeable cells I check the 'dead' voltage of the primary
caell. Some clocks, for instance, will run down to about 0.90V; others peg
out at 1.3V.

(*) Distinguishable in store by being marked "ready to use" and
"rechargeable". I add the last bit as I've noticed some primary cells
jumping onto that marketing band wagon...

Thanks for the warning. The NiMH I got from Aldidl are so dark and have such
small printing that the "Ready to use" is the only easy way to distinguish
them from equally dark primaries.

BTW, 'Made down to a pound(land)': AAs at 800mAh and AAAs at 300mAh - talk
about taking the ****!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Davey
escribió:

How can I make sensible use of this lost power?

I use them in wall clocks. A battery that won't power a device like a
radio will keep a clock going for a year or more.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey wrote:

How can I make sensible use of this lost power? Over a year, it must
add up to a quite considerable amount. I hate to throw it all away.

Wait until you've got enough then feed the power into the mains and
claim the FIT.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey wrote:

We use two portable radios, both of which decide on their own that
their AA battery power level has dropped below what they will accept,
and they shut off. But there is plenty of power still in the batteries.
the supply of useable batteries is getting bigger and bigger.

Make several joule thieves and use the plentiful supply of AA batteries
to light the smallest room?

http://www.bigclive.com/joule.htm

Considering the cost of batteries, we are throwing away lots of
pounds'-worth of battery power.

Switch to re-chargeable batteries?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey wrote:
If only I could save all the power that I have to throw out in
batteries because I have no way of using it.
We use two portable radios, both of which decide on their own that
their AA battery power level has dropped below what they will accept,
and they shut off. But there is plenty of power still in the batteries.
The only use we have for AA batteries, other than the radios, is
MiniMaglite torches, but they are used only on rare occasions, so the
supply of useable batteries is getting bigger and bigger. Considering
the cost of batteries, we are throwing away lots of pounds'-worth of
battery power.
How can I make sensible use of this lost power? Over a year, it must
add up to a quite considerable amount. I hate to throw it all away.

I suspect that you're using a digital radio on batteries, which,
considering their relatively high power consumption, isn't terribly wise
unless you really want to listen to a digital only channel and need
portability.

An analogue radio would make more sense if you don't need a digital
channel.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2013 07:50, Tim+ wrote:
Davey wrote:
[...]

Digital radios are basically a crap design badly implemented and with
programme material cobbled together at an inadequate bitrate. I have
several digital radios one high end and none of them work when there are
leaves on the trees and heavy rain. Radio4 announcers sound like the
subterraneans on Stingray as they burble along with bits missing and the
occasional ultrasonic squawk. If anything the most recent digital radio
is the worst of the lot it now streams R4 from the net.

An analogue radio would make more sense if you don't need a digital
channel.

Tim

Or a mains power adaptor for the digital radio that is being used.
Digital radios are virtually useless on batteries.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
On 24/05/2013 07:50, Tim+ wrote:
Davey wrote:
[...]

so you are saying you live in a poor reception area. Does your high end
radio have an outside aerial? The "burbling" is not a fault of DAB, it's
due to an inadequate signal being received; similarly a poor FM signal
would result in a high level of hiss.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2013 09:18, charles wrote:
In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
On 24/05/2013 07:50, Tim+ wrote:
Davey wrote:
[...]

The analogue signal is 58dB on radio (max is 60) this isn't a low signal
area except for DAB when it is raining and the trees are in leaf. The
digital portable radios are not connected to the main aerial and are
generally operated on VHF channels except in mid winter.

The quality of VHF for perfomance of music is way better than DAB and
the pecking order for simulcasts is something like satellite HD,
satellite radio, TDTV, FM and DAB bringing up the rear by a long way.

The only thing DAB does well is the quiet bits in between records.

Today is particularly bad with very heavy rain and high winds.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2013 08:55, Martin Brown wrote:

Or a mains power adaptor for the digital radio that is being used.
Digital radios are virtually useless on batteries.

We got a Pure several years ago. The original battery (rechargeable)
worked but only needed it occasionally. When even half an hour of use in
bathroom (I like radio when in bath!) ran battery flat, we contacted
company. Got a replacement Li unit which has been fine and hardly notice
anything.

But what I don't like is that the radio has a sound which seems to miss
out a lot of the high end even with the tone control right round. The
bass is quite good. That poor high end clashes with my hearing deficit
and makes some things unpleasant to listen to.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"polygonum" wrote in message
On 24/05/2013 08:55, Martin Brown wrote:

Or a mains power adaptor for the digital radio that is being used.
Digital radios are virtually useless on batteries.

We got a Pure several years ago. The original battery (rechargeable)
worked but only needed it occasionally. When even half an hour of use in
bathroom (I like radio when in bath!) ran battery flat, we contacted
company. Got a replacement Li unit which has been fine and hardly notice
anything.

But what I don't like is that the radio has a sound which seems to miss
out a lot of the high end even with the tone control right round. The bass
is quite good. That poor high end clashes with my hearing deficit and
makes some things unpleasant to listen to.

--
Rod

DAB is a poor quality transmission - just listen to the same programme - eg
Radio 2 on DAB and FM. I use a Videologic DAB tuner; FM is always better.
I use DAB only for Radio 4 Extra (which should be called Radio 7) as there
is no alternative. I would listen on DTT but there is no BBC radio on DTT
in Scotland in the evenings.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2013 09:35, Geoff Pearson wrote:

DAB is a poor quality transmission - just listen to the same programme -
eg Radio 2 on DAB and FM. I use a Videologic DAB tuner; FM is always
better. I use DAB only for Radio 4 Extra (which should be called Radio
7) as there is no alternative. I would listen on DTT but there is no
BBC radio on DTT in Scotland in the evenings.

The alternative of internet for R4X? That is what I usually use for it.
Partly due to circumstances and choices.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-05-24, Geoff Pearson wrote:

DAB is a poor quality transmission

Ummm, no. Just because the broadcasters have chosen quantity over quality
does not make DAB in and of itself "poor quality".

--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 71st day of Discord in the YOLD 3179
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine"

OK - but there is only one DAB station which ever broadcasts at 192k - Radio
3 which as I write is on 160k - 10.15 am. Radio 7 is 80k mono, which is
like the medium wave for which many of its programmes were made.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2013 00:04, Davey wrote:
If only I could save all the power that I have to throw out in
batteries because I have no way of using it.
We use two portable radios, both of which decide on their own that
their AA battery power level has dropped below what they will accept,
and they shut off. But there is plenty of power still in the batteries.

This is quite common. Digital cameras on AAs are the worst for this.

The only use we have for AA batteries, other than the radios, is
MiniMaglite torches, but they are used only on rare occasions, so the
supply of useable batteries is getting bigger and bigger. Considering
the cost of batteries, we are throwing away lots of pounds'-worth of
battery power.

If you have any digital clocks, handset remotes or other low drain
devices they will happily work on half dead cells. I have a little gizmo
to test my "dead" batteries and keep any with life left in.

I only ever use primary single use cells if I have to replace something
urgently and do not have any rechargeables available to swap in.

Non critical clocks and the like get replaced from the half dead stock.

High drain torches, cameras and the like need fresh cells every time as
does the remote monitor in the loft since it is a PITA to get to.

How can I make sensible use of this lost power? Over a year, it must
add up to a quite considerable amount. I hate to throw it all away.

Unless you are into building electronics realistically you can't. The
sort of circuits that will extract every last joule tend to cause the
batteries to leak eventually which is why consumer items don't risk it.
Joule thief is one such to power an LED from a single cell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joule_thief

(and also the basis of many garden LED lights)

You could buy some decent quality long life rechargeable batteries that
would give you a long term saving. Aldi/Lidl sometime have bargain NiMH
ones that actually hold charge very well (and some poxy ones too).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

(and also the basis of many garden LED lights)

You could buy some decent quality long life rechargeable batteries that
would give you a long term saving. Aldi/Lidl sometime have bargain NiMH
ones that actually hold charge very well (and some poxy ones too).

I get wound up about the amount of metal (zinc) that gets thrown away.
Worse are poor quality batteries that have been shipped half way around the
planet only to give poor performance and fill our landfill sites with
contamination.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2013 09:11, DerbyBorn wrote:
(and also the basis of many garden LED lights)

You could buy some decent quality long life rechargeable batteries that
would give you a long term saving. Aldi/Lidl sometime have bargain NiMH
ones that actually hold charge very well (and some poxy ones too).

I get wound up about the amount of metal (zinc) that gets thrown away.
Worse are poor quality batteries that have been shipped half way around the
planet only to give poor performance and fill our landfill sites with
contamination.

You are supposed to put them in the waste battery containers that are in
supermarkets and recycling centres all around the country.

I made some 3W LED path lamps for the Jubilee last year to allow people
to walk home. We considered solar powered but the sums didn't stack up.

In the end they were powered using Poundshops finest 12/£1 batteries and
to my amazement they did work perfectly well. The lights were all still
going the next morning when I went to pick them up.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 May 2013 00:04:10 +0100
Davey wrote:

If only I could save all the power that I have to throw out in
batteries because I have no way of using it.

snip

How can I make sensible use of this lost power? Over a year, it must
add up to a quite considerable amount. I hate to throw it all away.

Coming back to this this morning, I am amazed at the number of
replies, which is great.
Trying to answer the questions and assumptions made:
-The two radios concerned are several-year-old analogue Yacht-Boys,
both with Short-wave abilities. The bigger one uses (6) AA
batteries, and when it decides that they have no power left, the
smaller radio can still run on them, and it uses (3) at a time.
-There is no DAB radio here, from all accounts, why would I bother with
a radio that sounds worse than what I have now?
-Reading the comments about whether DAB as a system, or DAB radios as
sold, are the cause of bad quality, why don't we just agree that the
implementation of DAB radio is flawed? Then the cause can be bypassed,
for a different discussion.
-I like the idea of the Joulethief, but as I said earlier, I have little
use for such lighting.
-And finally, I have some rechargeable batteries for the radios, but
their low voltage just means that the minimum voltage is reached sooner
than with plain batteries.

Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey wrote:

If only I could save all the power that I have to throw out in
batteries because I have no way of using it.

snip

How can I make sensible use of this lost power? Over a year, it must
add up to a quite considerable amount. I hate to throw it all away.

Coming back to this this morning, I am amazed at the number of
replies, which is great.
Trying to answer the questions and assumptions made:
-The two radios concerned are several-year-old analogue Yacht-Boys,
both with Short-wave abilities. The bigger one uses (6) AA
batteries, and when it decides that they have no power left, the
smaller radio can still run on them, and it uses (3) at a time.

Aren't they capable of taking an external mains to DC power in feed?

My Sony worldband is similar lives on mains unless I am travelling.
It does last pretty well on batteries too - more than a week.

-There is no DAB radio here, from all accounts, why would I bother with
a radio that sounds worse than what I have now?

And also eats batteries like there is no tomorrow.

-Reading the comments about whether DAB as a system, or DAB radios as
sold, are the cause of bad quality, why don't we just agree that the
implementation of DAB radio is flawed? Then the cause can be bypassed,
for a different discussion.
-I like the idea of the Joulethief, but as I said earlier, I have little
use for such lighting.
-And finally, I have some rechargeable batteries for the radios, but
their low voltage just means that the minimum voltage is reached sooner
than with plain batteries.

That is a problem with things that are tetchy about min battery voltage.

You best bet is find a wall wart supply either official or unofficial.
You will need to pay careful attention to polarity. Several fan sites
for Grundig radios should have relevant model details.

Maplin do something like you would need.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/ac-dc-fixed-...#specification

Better prices available elsewhere if you know exactly what you want.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey wrote:

[...]

Yes, I had thought about wall-warts. However, the 6-cell radio lives
mostly in the bathroom, and there is no socket anywhere nearby, and I'm
not going to run a cable in there. Not sure about the legality, either,
unless it was the DC side. Since that is the one that gives up on
batteries first, it is the one that I would get a power supply for if I
ever did.
The other radio is used mostly by the wife, and wanders
frequently among three rooms, one of which is a shower room.
She does not do technology, which includes plugging and unplugging a
power feed into the side of a radio, or a wall-wart into a socket, when
it can run on its own batteries. There is no logic to this, but that is
the way it is. They live in a different universe.
--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey wrote:

[...]

I modified the Roberts radio to take a 7 cell nicad pack from a surplus
model aircraft..

since I already had a fast charger for those.
its rated at 8.,4v instead on 9v but works just fine..freshly charged
its a bit under 10v dead flat its 7v.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:
Maplin do something like you would need.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/ac-dc-fixed-...#specification

Better prices available elsewhere if you know exactly what you want.

Yes, I had thought about wall-warts. However, the 6-cell radio lives
mostly in the bathroom, and there is no socket anywhere nearby,

Not even a shaver socket?

and
I'm not going to run a cable in there. Not sure about the legality,
either, unless it was the DC side. Since that is the one that gives
up on batteries first, it is the one that I would get a power supply
for if I ever did.
The other radio is used mostly by the wife, and wanders
frequently among three rooms, one of which is a shower room.
She does not do technology, which includes plugging and unplugging a
power feed into the side of a radio, or a wall-wart into a socket,
when it can run on its own batteries.

Take the batteries out. Problem solved. ;-)

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:
Maplin do something like you would need.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/ac-dc-fixed-...#specification

Better prices available elsewhere if you know exactly what you
want.

Yes, I had thought about wall-warts. However, the 6-cell radio lives
mostly in the bathroom, and there is no socket anywhere nearby,

Not even a shaver socket?

No. The bathroom is in what we call the Victorian Extension to a house
that is several hundred years old. It has one ceiling pull-cord light
switch, and one ceiling light. And having looked up in the loft, I am
not inclined to do anything up there!

and
I'm not going to run a cable in there. Not sure about the legality,
either, unless it was the DC side. Since that is the one that gives
up on batteries first, it is the one that I would get a power supply
for if I ever did.
The other radio is used mostly by the wife, and wanders
frequently among three rooms, one of which is a shower room.
She does not do technology, which includes plugging and unplugging a
power feed into the side of a radio, or a wall-wart into a socket,
when it can run on its own batteries.

Take the batteries out. Problem solved. ;-)

Tim

Too late, she knows that they should be there!

But my point is really about wasted battery power in general, I was just
using my own situation as an example.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Davey" wrote in message
If only I could save all the power that I have to throw out in
batteries because I have no way of using it.
We use two portable radios, both of which decide on their own that
their AA battery power level has dropped below what they will accept,
and they shut off. But there is plenty of power still in the batteries.
The only use we have for AA batteries, other than the radios, is
MiniMaglite torches, but they are used only on rare occasions, so the
supply of useable batteries is getting bigger and bigger. Considering
the cost of batteries, we are throwing away lots of pounds'-worth of
battery power.
How can I make sensible use of this lost power? Over a year, it must
add up to a quite considerable amount. I hate to throw it all away.

Can't you use the batteries in the fanny hammer? they usually run until the
batteries are really flat, tho if they do at the wrong moment, the moans
will be of a different type

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 May 2013 14:44:18 +0100, "Gazz" wrote:

Can't you use the batteries in the fanny hammer?

Pah, NiMh will sort her out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2013 00:04, Davey wrote:
If only I could save all the power that I have to throw out in
batteries because I have no way of using it.
We use two portable radios, both of which decide on their own that
their AA battery power level has dropped below what they will accept,
and they shut off. But there is plenty of power still in the batteries.
The only use we have for AA batteries, other than the radios, is
MiniMaglite torches, but they are used only on rare occasions, so the
supply of useable batteries is getting bigger and bigger. Considering
the cost of batteries, we are throwing away lots of pounds'-worth of
battery power.
How can I make sensible use of this lost power? Over a year, it must
add up to a quite considerable amount. I hate to throw it all away.

No brainer. Rechargeables and a smart charger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 May 2013 17:45:19 +0100
newshound wrote:

On 24/05/2013 00:04, Davey wrote:
If only I could save all the power that I have to throw out in
batteries because I have no way of using it.
We use two portable radios, both of which decide on their own that
their AA battery power level has dropped below what they will
accept, and they shut off. But there is plenty of power still in
the batteries. The only use we have for AA batteries, other than
the radios, is MiniMaglite torches, but they are used only on rare
occasions, so the supply of useable batteries is getting bigger and
bigger. Considering the cost of batteries, we are throwing away
lots of pounds'-worth of battery power.
How can I make sensible use of this lost power? Over a year, it must
add up to a quite considerable amount. I hate to throw it all away.

No brainer. Rechargeables and a smart charger

See comment elsewhere about rechargeables having a lower working
voltage than standard cells, and radios that cut off only just above
the rechargeables' operating voltage.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

[...]

The solution is to buy a battery carrier and make up an external big
ugly battery box using rechargeable D cells and power it from that using
the DC in socket on the side. That is what I did to my transistor radio
in my university bedsit days before I had mains powered hifi.

You can get 8000mAH D cells these days. One extra cell in the stack with
a series silicon diode that you short out with a switch when it gets low
will allow you to harvest almost all the power out of it.

And in an external box it cannot harm the delicate electronics. ISTR
that a certain size of plastic waste pipe was ideal for this duty.

There is a problem that for moderate loads the low terminal voltage of
rechargeables does present a problem of premature low volts cutoff.
But unfortunately that is how the chemistry crumbles.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, May 24, 2013 12:04:10 AM UTC+1, Davey wrote:

If only I could save all the power that I have to throw out in
batteries because I have no way of using it.
We use two portable radios, both of which decide on their own that
their AA battery power level has dropped below what they will accept,
and they shut off. But there is plenty of power still in the batteries.
The only use we have for AA batteries, other than the radios, is
MiniMaglite torches, but they are used only on rare occasions, so the
supply of useable batteries is getting bigger and bigger. Considering
the cost of batteries, we are throwing away lots of pounds'-worth of
battery power.
How can I make sensible use of this lost power? Over a year, it must
add up to a quite considerable amount. I hate to throw it all away.

3 more options...

1. Batterybox the radio sits on, with top contacts that touch radio bottom contacts. You can use an extra cell.

2. Lead acid battery

3. Hit your semidead batteries with spikes of current/voltage, and they'll rejuvenate. Leak risk increases, so an external battery carrier's best.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 May 2013 15:52:36 -0700 (PDT)
wrote:

[...]

Indeed.

(1) would require adding external contacts to the radio, if it is
ging to be wife-friendly and work as suggested.
(2) is a possibility,
series the cells so that there is greater voltage than the lead acid
unit, and charge it up until the voltages match? Then add more, etc.
(3) is a little more risky, as mentioned, but feasible.
--
Davey.