Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Odd multiway light switch problem

In our 70s vintage house there is a light switch on the wall (not near
the door) with a piece of red tape on it, obviously saying "Do not
switch me". I decided to see why. It turns out to be one of two
switches (the other at the door) controlling the main room light. I
tried switching it when the door switch was off. The light came on
briefly as the switch passed the midway position, then went off again
when the switch was fully switched. In other words, both positions of
the switch left the light off. Hmm. I removed the screws holding the
switch plate, and replaced the switch with an identical one. Same
behaviour. Hmm. I then discovered that I could make the light go on
and off by moving the switch plate slightly (when off the wall). Sounds
like a wiring fault, but unfortunately the wires between the end of the
sheathing and the switch are clearly intact. Hmm. Out with the
voltmeter, to test the voltage between phase and earth and see if it is
affected by movement of the cable. This is where it gets really odd.
The voltage between the hot wire and earth cycles between 230v and 190v
with a period of about 7 seconds. WTF??

Converting SINGLE light switch to MULTIPLE light switch usingWIRELESS control? Robert Macy[_2_] Home Repair 6 December 1st 11 03:11 PM
help with 4 light fixtures, 3-way and 4-way light switch problem dd Home Repair 6 November 11th 10 04:21 AM
Light Switch & Fixture Problem [email protected] Home Repair 10 January 25th 08 08:48 PM
Light switch problem John Home Repair 5 April 2nd 06 02:59 PM
Ceiling Light Problem - No Switch Phil Anderson Home Repair 35 January 26th 04 12:36 PM