Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default removing paint from wooden fence posts

Hi,

In our garden we have an arch/pergola that the previous owners painted
with water-based "preserver" only it was a funny colour. SWMBO asked
me to creosote it to make it look prettier.

I had a go at sanding it with a 60 grit belt sander but I got
impatient, so I switched to a flap disc in an angle grinder. That was
much faster but, in places, it left marks, so I ended up going over it
again with the belt sander.

It's still not quite back to the wood yet. What would you have done?
Until I sat down to type this, I had not thought of chemical paint
stripper or heat. Perhaps I should have given one of those a go?

Would the flap disc be your chosen tool? I guess if you have good
technique you can hold it such that it doesn't scuff the wood but I
need to work on that. Or would you take your time with a belt sander?
Perhaps I should buy a 40 grit belt rather than a 60?

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2013 20:46, Fred wrote:
[...]

How about a pressure washer?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 21 Apr 2013 20:46:50 +0100, Fred wrote:

[...]

Not sure why you don't just paint over it.

Cheers

Dave R
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, April 21, 2013 8:46:50 PM UTC+1, Fred wrote:

[...]

The colour will fade in time, forget it. If impatient, just put stain over the top.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Apr 2013 09:29:09 GMT, "David.WE.Roberts"
wrote:

Not sure why you don't just paint over it.

Because we wanted to creosote it rather than paint it. The
"creosote" will not soak in through the paint.