Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default tidying up mains cables to HiFi

I have 3 mains cable for my HiFi separates stack system.I want to plug them into a single wall socket. I know I could use a short multi-socket extension lead but it would be a bit difficult to hide out of the way and would be visually obtrusive. Are there any other types of plug/socket I could use which would be smaller and neater?

Cheers
Pete K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , petek
scribeth thus
I have 3 mains cable for my HiFi separates stack system.I want to plug them into
a single wall socket. I know I could use a short multi-socket extension lead but
it would be a bit difficult to hide out of the way and would be visually
obtrusive. Are there any other types of plug/socket I could use which would be
smaller and neater?

Cheers
Pete K

There is an IEC connector block you can use, its like the kettle lead plug and
socket format. One cable comes from the mains supply, feeds the block and the others
take off from that via IEC sockets.

If your equipment has captive leads then wire-able plugs are available.

http://cpc.farnell.com/schurter/r474...ets/dp/PL00823

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/pe00...?crosssellid=P
L09635&crosssell=true&in_merch=true&
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 23:08:28 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

In article ,
petek scribeth thus
I have 3 mains cable for my HiFi separates stack system.I want to plug
them into a single wall socket. I know I could use a short multi-socket
extension lead but it would be a bit difficult to hide out of the way
and would be visually obtrusive. Are there any other types of
plug/socket I could use which would be smaller and neater?

Cheers Pete K

There is an IEC connector block you can use, its like the kettle lead
plug and socket format. One cable comes from the mains supply, feeds the
block and the others take off from that via IEC sockets.

If your equipment has captive leads then wire-able plugs are available.

http://cpc.farnell.com/schurter/r474...4x-outlets/dp/

PL00823

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/pe00...ug/dp/PL09635?

crosssellid=P
L09635&crosssell=true&in_merch=true&

I was just about to suggest exactly the same products!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 14:37:57 -0700 (PDT), petek wrote:

I have 3 mains cable for my HiFi separates stack system.I want to plug
them into a single wall socket.

IEC?

http://www.rapidonline.com/cables-co...iec-distributi
on-board-63595/

Pretty sure you can also get them with the inlet in the end rather than
the face.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
petek wrote:
I have 3 mains cable for my HiFi separates stack system.I want to plug
them into a single wall socket. I know I could use a short multi-socket
extension lead but it would be a bit difficult to hide out of the way
and would be visually obtrusive. Are there any other types of
plug/socket I could use which would be smaller and neater?

IEC (kettle plug) distribution block would be the obvious way - but you'll
have to hack off the 13 amp plugs from the existing mains leads and
replace with IEC.

At one time some makes of Hi-Fi had mains outlets so you could daisy chain
the various bits. Seemed a sensible approach, since only the power amp
takes much in the way of current.

There used to be distribution blocks that took a variety of the IEC plug -
but with them all in a line and very close together, so good for wall
mounting. Came in 4,6 amd 8 ways. The plugs had a window for a printed bit
of card which identified what was what - they came with a selection of
names, like CD, etc. Haven't seen them around recently, so they probably
fell foul of some reg. or another.

--
*If you can read this, thank a teecher

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
petek wrote:
[...]

I just counted my 13A plugs behing the TV/Net/etc, roughly 18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 11, 11:08*pm, tony sayer wrote:
In article , petek
scribeth thus

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/pe00...plug/dp/PL0963...
L09635&crosssell=true&in_merch=true&
--
Tony Sayer

You could always cheat and put more than one flex into each 13a plug
Posted to uk.d-i-y

There used to be small bricks that had modular small plugs plugged into them
the downsides of this are that one has to cut off the mains plug and attach
the new ones and if the cables are quite heavy and stiff they can pull the
adaptor out of the socket.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"petek" wrote in message
I have 3 mains cable for my HiFi separates stack system.I want to plug them
into a single wall socket. I know I could use a short multi-socket extension
lead but it would be a bit difficult to hide out of the way and would be
visually obtrusive. Are there any other types of plug/socket I could use
which would be smaller and neater?

Cheers
Pete K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"petek" wrote in message

I have 3 mains cable for my HiFi separates stack system.I want to plug them
into a single wall socket. I know I could use a short multi-socket
extension lead but it would be a bit difficult to hide out of the way and
would be visually obtrusive. Are there any other types of plug/socket I
could use which would be smaller and neater?

Cheers
Pete K

Would one of these solve your problem?

http://db.tt/pnc0g5yg

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2013 07:40, harry wrote:

You could always cheat and put more than one flex into each 13a plug

I was in B&Q the other day and saw that they had a 13A 3 pin plug top
specifically designed to take 4 flex outputs. Unfortunately cant find
it on B&Q (or any other) web site. But if OP is passing B&Q it might be
worth a look in.

--
Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
petek writes

I have 3 mains cable for my HiFi separates stack system.I want to plug them
into a single wall socket.

ebay 200754222553

I've wired 3 cables for low-current devices (table lamps with CFL
bulbs) into a single plug before now, don't see the problem with it.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"petek" wrote in message

I have 3 mains cable for my HiFi separates stack system.I want to plug them
into a single wall socket. I know I could use a short multi-socket
extension lead but it would be a bit difficult to hide out of the way and
would be visually obtrusive. Are there any other types of plug/socket I
could use which would be smaller and neater?

Cheers
Pete K

This maybe:
http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/12815-mul...permaplug.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Tomlinson wrote:
I've wired 3 cables for low-current devices (table lamps with CFL
bulbs) into a single plug before now, don't see the problem with it.

It does look awful, though. ;-)

--
*For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, April 12, 2013 12:58:23 AM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
petek wrote:

At one time some makes of Hi-Fi had mains outlets so you could daisy chain
the various bits. Seemed a sensible approach, since only the power amp
takes much in the way of current.

Usually 2 pin sockets. Consumers seldom used them, so they were an unnecessary cost. There were also safety issues with early ones, which were generally US sockets.

There used to be distribution blocks that took a variety of the IEC plug -
but with them all in a line and very close together, so good for wall

names, like CD, etc. Haven't seen them around recently, so they probably
fell foul of some reg. or another.

IEC plugs & sockets are still compliant. They fell victim to their own overpricing. It was also inconvenient when you needed to pug something in elsewhere.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 11:04:13 +0100, news wrote:

On 12/04/2013 07:40, harry wrote:

You could always cheat and put more than one flex into each 13a plug

I was in B&Q the other day and saw that they had a 13A 3 pin plug top
specifically designed to take 4 flex outputs. Unfortunately cant find
it on B&Q (or any other) web site. But if OP is passing B&Q it might be
worth a look in.

ISTR a multiway adaptor with 3 individually switched 13A sockets on it, but
no idea of quality.
I use a 4-way, 4-switch extension lead from B&Q - it seems to be good and
solid - plugged in to an MK DP socket, then the PVR in to the other DP
socket.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

petek wrote:

[...]

Thanks to all for their suggestions but this is the one that I really want and I should explain why. I kept my original post very simple, but in actual fact I used to have one of these distribution blocks with IEC connectors in line, for my HiFi and a table lamp. When we gave our lounge a complete makeover a month or so ago (new f'place, new curtains, new furniture etc)it has somehow got lost and possibly ended up in the bin by mistake. My Hi FI actually has the old plugs on the leads but the distribution block bit has gone AWOL! The IEC plugs have a makers name on "Masterpiece" but I cannot trace it on t'internet. Does this prompt any further ideas about how I can find a similar one?

Cheers
Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

petek wrote:

I have 3 mains cable for my HiFi separates stack system.I want to plug
them into a single wall socket. I know I could use a short multi-socket
extension lead but it would be a bit difficult to hide out of the way and
would be visually obtrusive. Are there any other types of plug/socket I
could use which would be smaller and neater?

In the past I've painted an extension lead's multisocket black and used
black-painted 13A plugs to make something similar mounted on the back of the
pillar of a base, pillar & plinth TV stand fairly unobtrusive. I also
shortened the mains leads on the individual pieces of equipment so there
were no unnecessary coils of excess cable. I used balck nylon cable ties to
hold cables and socket to the equipment. It wasn't invisible, but no-one
noticed it unless they looked specifically.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo ,
petek escribió:

The IEC plugs have a

Are they actually small white plugs with 3 thin pins? Googled for an
image with no luck.

makers name on "Masterpiece"

could it be "Masterplug" ?

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
petek wrote:
Thanks to all for their suggestions but this is the one that I really
want and I should explain why. I kept my original post very simple, but
in actual fact I used to have one of these distribution blocks with IEC
connectors in line, for my HiFi and a table lamp. When we gave our
lounge a complete makeover a month or so ago (new f'place, new curtains,
new furniture etc)it has somehow got lost and possibly ended up in the
bin by mistake. My Hi FI actually has the old plugs on the leads but the
distribution block bit has gone AWOL! The IEC plugs have a makers name
on "Masterpiece" but I cannot trace it on t'internet. Does this prompt
any further ideas about how I can find a similar one?

I've seen them secondhand on Ebay in the Hi-Fi section. The plugs tend to
fall apart with age (plastic rot) but the main part seems to survive
rather better. A standard IEC plug will fit the body - but the plugs they
use won't fit a standard IEC outlet.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2013 12:16, Richard wrote:
"petek" wrote in message

I have 3 mains cable for my HiFi separates stack system.I want to plug
them into a single wall socket. I know I could use a short
multi-socket extension lead but it would be a bit difficult to hide
out of the way and would be visually obtrusive. Are there any other
types of plug/socket I could use which would be smaller and neater?

Cheers
Pete K

This maybe:
http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/12815-mul...permaplug.html

I'm not the OP but that looks just the ticket. I'd be interested to see
inside. How easy are they to wire up?

Another Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"petek" wrote in message

I have 3 mains cable for my HiFi separates stack system.I want to plug
them into a single wall socket. I know I could use a short
multi-socket extension lead but it would be a bit difficult to hide
out of the way and would be visually obtrusive. Are there any other
types of plug/socket I could use which would be smaller and neater?

Cheers
Pete K

This maybe:
http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/12815-mul...permaplug.html

I'm not the OP but that looks just the ticket. I'd be interested to see
inside. How easy are they to wire up?

Another Dave

Ah, I haven't bought one yet. The post made me do some searching because I
have the same needs.
There is a review he
http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/9790811748
HTH
I guess I'll be ordering soon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
petek wrote:
[...]

Those made by Conblock?

Their MasterPlug

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o...Multiplug1.jpg

and the Mastadapta (I have one here in fine form)

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/s...0&postcount=40

I'd do the IEC thing today or possibly getaway with a Wagobox if not
planning individual disconnections with the power on?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WteSUJMxUYs

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Another Dave wrote:
This maybe:
http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/12815-mul...permaplug.html

I'm not the OP but that looks just the ticket. I'd be interested to see
inside. How easy are they to wire up?

They'd be a PITA on equipment with captive cables.

--
*My dog can lick anyone

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian C wrote:
I've seen them secondhand on Ebay in the Hi-Fi section. The plugs tend
to fall apart with age (plastic rot) but the main part seems to
survive rather better. A standard IEC plug will fit the body - but the
plugs they use won't fit a standard IEC outlet.

Those made by Conblock?

Their MasterPlug

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o...Multiplug1.jpg

and the Mastadapta (I have one here in fine form)

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/s...0&postcount=40

I'd do the IEC thing today or possibly getaway with a Wagobox if not
planning individual disconnections with the power on?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WteSUJMxUYs

Neither of those is identical to the ones I've got here - but the first
one is close. Just looked and they're labelled Masterpiece. They're pretty
old, and I think they probably came from a shed. Possibly Homebase.

--
*I used up all my sick days so I called in dead

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Adrian C
escribió:

Those made by Conblock?

Their MasterPlug

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o...206%20way/Conb
lock6-wayMultiplug1.jpg

That's the one I was thinking of and couldn't find an image for. Nice
spot :-)

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 11:38:15 on Sat, 13
Apr 2013, Adrian C remarked:

the Mastadapta (I have one here in fine form)

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/s...0&postcount=40

That's what I've used in the past. I even have a selection of kettle
leads with the little 3-pin plug attached.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Roland Perry
scribeth thus
In message , at 11:38:15 on Sat, 13
Apr 2013, Adrian C remarked:

the Mastadapta (I have one here in fine form)

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/s...0&postcount=40

That's what I've used in the past. I even have a selection of kettle
leads with the little 3-pin plug attached.

Roland!, shame on you!. You should of course advised the OP to go to the
Russ Andrews site and optimise his mains connections. A few ££ thou
later then all will be well.

He'll then be sooo embarrassed at spending so much he'll never mention
it again;!...

http://issuu.com/russandrewsaccessor...deguidesingles

A simple powerblock at 300 odd quid will soon have this sorted..

http://www.russandrews.com/product.a...currency=GBP&p
f_id=8136&customer_id=PAA1479047213023SDCUGUHTFWNT ECBE&showBasket=true

--
Tony Sayer

Buyring Mains Cables? Maria UK diy 9 July 23rd 07 12:00 AM
Joining mains cables Timothy Murphy UK diy 6 May 1st 05 12:12 PM
American mains extension cables TS UK diy 17 April 10th 05 10:30 AM
Running hifi cables across a concrete floor Chris UK diy 10 March 10th 05 09:00 PM
Jointing mains cables Stephen Judge UK diy 3 August 28th 03 11:55 AM