Timothy Murphy

Default Joining mains cables

I have one of these surge-protected 6-socket extension leads
with a 2 metre cable, but this is not long enough.
I looked inside, but the cable is clamped rather than
attached to screw-in terminals.

What is the best way of attaching another cable?

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sparks

What is the best way of attaching another cable?

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

http://www.kneesnet.com/acatalog/Kneesnet_Online_13
_Amp_Flex_Connector_355.html

http://tinyurl.com/apxdw

I am after a waterproof (immersible) version of this.
Any ideas?

(It is needed to join a pump cable inside a large water fountain)

I have seen the ones designed for SWA cable, where you pour resin into
them - Could I just use this? (The cable looks like 1mm flex)

Sparks...

Timothy Murphy wrote:
I have one of these surge-protected 6-socket extension leads
with a 2 metre cable, but this is not long enough.
I looked inside, but the cable is clamped rather than
attached to screw-in terminals.

What is the best way of attaching another cable?

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

cut the wiers off inside leaving tails, and joint the wires with
screwblocks, solder, crimps etc.

Easier to buy a new 6 way tho, theyre very cheap. Unless youer running
on a small generator the surge function is a waste of time.

NT

In article , lid
(Sparks) wrote:

What is the best way of attaching another cable?

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

http://www.kneesnet.com/acatalog/Kneesnet_Online_13
_Amp_Flex_Connector_355.html

http://tinyurl.com/apxdw

I am after a waterproof (immersible) version of this.
Any ideas?

(It is needed to join a pump cable inside a large water fountain)

I have seen the ones designed for SWA cable, where you pour resin into
them - Could I just use this? (The cable looks like 1mm flex)

Sparks...

Not the same shape, but similar principle:
B&Q have submersible connectors - about £8 I think.

Roger

Richard Conway

I have one of these surge-protected 6-socket extension leads
with a 2 metre cable, but this is not long enough.
I looked inside, but the cable is clamped rather than
attached to screw-in terminals.

What is the best way of attaching another cable?

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

How about buying a single gang extension lead of the requird length and
plugging the six way into that?

Lobster

Sparks wrote:
What is the best way of attaching another cable?

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

http://www.kneesnet.com/acatalog/Kneesnet_Online_13
_Amp_Flex_Connector_355.html

http://tinyurl.com/apxdw

I am after a waterproof (immersible) version of this.
Any ideas?

How about:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BRH65Z.html

It's IP68 which means submersible for long periods under pressure AIUI

David

American mains extension cables TS UK diy 17 April 10th 05 10:30 AM
Joining cooker cables G&M UK diy 32 April 30th 04 07:44 PM
Mains failure gennie switching Chris Wilson Electronics Repair 7 November 9th 03 12:31 AM
Mains failure generator switching tips? Chris Wilson UK diy 5 October 15th 03 12:12 AM
Jointing mains cables Stephen Judge UK diy 3 August 28th 03 11:55 AM