Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Margaret Thatcher RIP;!...

On 08/04/2013 17:27, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , Hugh Newbury
escribió:

How about:

The Iron Lady -- May she rust in ****.

*tips hat*

Thank you

The idea that individuals should should pay their way. Shock horror. A
simple solution that was dropped before it had a chance
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Cap wrote:
When the poll tax was introduced, she paid *more* than previously under
the rates. So exactly the sort of person so often quoted as being
penalised by the old rates was penalised more by the poll tax.

I like to look at the bigger picture. I'm afraid single situations don't
make for a good case.

Even when that single situation was so often quoted as to why the poll tax
would be fairer?

With change, there are always going to be winners
and losers

And surprise surprise, the only winners were the rich.

but generally it would have been a fairer system, with far
more earners contributing to the cost of providing the local services
they used. That's why there was so much objection.

There would have been less objection if the average family had paid the
same as before.

Incidentally, I'm no fan of Thatcher but that's for other reasons.

I wouldn't know where to start.

--
*A bicycle can't stand alone because it's two tyred.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Cap wrote:
On 08/04/13 16:18, Mark wrote:

The Poll Tax was unfair on larger households.

I can see why the Poll Tax was popular in some circles though since it
shifted taxation from the rich to the poor.

Why shouldn't all earners in a household, contribute to local services?

It was a flat rate per capita tax. If that was just, so would the same be
to replace income tax.

--
*I don't work here. I'm a consultant

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Cap wrote:
Anyway, local taxes shouldn't be the same as Income tax.

Why?

--
*HOW IS IT POSSIBLE TO HAVE A CIVIL WAR?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Mr Pounder wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On Monday 08 April 2013 13:05 tony sayer wrote in uk.d-i-y:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22067155

Had more balls than any PM since.

I hate the tories, labour and liberal parties with similar amounts
of loathing, but that does not mean I don't respect her. I liked
some of her policies and hated others, but she did have conviction
unlike most of the wobbling gutless corn stalks we have now...

+1

Steve - I agree with you

+2

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Cap wrote ...

On 08/04/13 17:05, Mark wrote:

Why shouldn't all earners in a household, contribute to local services?

They do. The vast majority of the money spent by local government is
provided by central government which is extracted from all the earners
via income tax.

That still doesn't escape the fact, that some people are subsidising
other's local services. Perhaps if they paid, some wouldn't feel so keen
to go out an wreak havoc at every opportunity. How bout we settle for a
local income tax then ?

You ****

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article , Tim Watts
writes

Had more balls than any PM since.

Only looked like that because she surrounded herself with spineless
yes- men.

She crushed the miners and the Argentinians - and she handbagged the French.
That's not the actions of a weak woman. She would not have take 3 points for
Dennis.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Eric" wrote in message ...

Andy Cap wrote ...

On 08/04/13 17:05, Mark wrote:

Why shouldn't all earners in a household, contribute to local
services?

They do. The vast majority of the money spent by local government is
provided by central government which is extracted from all the earners
via income tax.

That still doesn't escape the fact, that some people are subsidising
other's local services. Perhaps if they paid, some wouldn't feel so keen
to go out an wreak havoc at every opportunity. How bout we settle for a
local income tax then ?

You ****

Ooohh! Look. An intellectual.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RayL12" wrote in message
On 08/04/2013 1:21 PM, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
On Mon, 8 Apr 2013 13:05:31 +0100, tony
wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22067155

Evil auld **** - may she roast.

She may have upset people but, boy, did she put a rotting, continually
union striking Britain back on its feet.

+1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/2013 15:32, bm wrote:
"Tim Streater" wrote in message
In article om,
"bm" wrote:

"Andy Cap" wrote in message
On 08/04/13 13:41, bm wrote:

Dead right, lets have more poll tax.
YMBFJ

Nothing wrong with the Poll tax, it was just that it dragged in a lot
of young earners who get their services for free and had loud voices.
The Council tax is really unfair to people living on their own.

As was the poll tax unfair to me, still, it only ~tripled my rates.

So it tripled your rates. Now explain why that was unfair.

Did it triple yours?

Not for me - it multiplied it infinitely, since I was still living at my
parents' house and didn't have to pay any rates at all. Surely it was
far fairer that every adult paid?

Course, those on housing benefit (who I'm helping to
support) didn't pay an extra penny AFAIK.

I don't know about that, but my sister left school and was told to start
paying immediately - she had no income, was intending to go to
university in the September, but couldn't even sign on in the meantime!

As I remember, one or two other
folk were a trifle ****ed off about it so it was withdrawn and replaced by
council tax, still triple my rates. I don't mind being screwed as long as
I'm unaware of it.

The problem was that with more people paying, you'd expect to pay less
per person, but somehow that didn't happen and everyone I know ended up
paying more.

Council tax then came in and that has been jumping up and up ever since,
to levels that many on fixed incomes cannot afford.

Whether it be council tax, car tax, insurance, etc., a sure sign of the
price being too high is the option to pay in monthly installments!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
Mr Pounder wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On Monday 08 April 2013 13:05 tony sayer wrote in uk.d-i-y:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22067155

Had more balls than any PM since.

I hate the tories, labour and liberal parties with similar amounts
of loathing, but that does not mean I don't respect her. I liked
some of her policies and hated others, but she did have conviction
unlike most of the wobbling gutless corn stalks we have now...

+1

Steve - I agree with you

+2

Well, **** me rigid!

Sleep with me tonight Adam?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article , Tim Watts
writes

Had more balls than any PM since.

Only looked like that because she surrounded herself with spineless
yes- men.

She crushed the miners and the Argentinians - and she handbagged the
French. That's not the actions of a weak woman. She would not have take 3
points for Dennis.

+1

And the ****ing dockers with a "job for life".
Basically she tried her best to reduce the amount of ******s.
I'm old enough to remember the report of ****** workers at British Leyland
sleeping after chucking together their rubbish cars.
They had another job to go to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/13 18:28, Eric wrote:
Andy Cap wrote ...

You ****

Absolutely pathetic, but probably par for the course !
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Cap wrote:
Anyway, local taxes shouldn't be the same as Income tax.

Why?

Well, I think they should simply be to pay for the common local services
provided by the Council but I'm willing to compromise and go for a local
Income tax, which ensures all earners are making a contribution.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/2013 14:29, bm wrote:

As was the poll tax unfair to me, still, it only ~tripled my rates.

That was the main problem. Many more people to share the tax burden but
it resulted in bills higher before, even for a single occupancy household.

As I recall, in my area we also had an extra surcharge to bail out
neighbouring authorities allowing them to have a lower poll tax. So much
for paying for the local services!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 08/04/13 13:24, Tim Watts wrote:

I hate the tories, labour and liberal parties with similar amounts of
loathing, but that does not mean I don't respect her. I liked some of her
policies and hated others, but she did have conviction unlike most of the
wobbling gutless corn stalks we have now...

+1

Another +1

Everybody knew which side of the fence they stood on ~30 years ago, I
doubt many have changed their opinion since then. Just because she's
now dead and there are naysayers still alive trying to rake over old
arguments, doesn't really change much.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 08/04/13 13:24, Tim Watts wrote:
On Monday 08 April 2013 13:05 tony sayer wrote in uk.d-i-y:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22067155

Had more balls than any PM since.

I hate the tories, labour and liberal parties with similar amounts of
loathing, but that does not mean I don't respect her. I liked some of her
policies and hated others, but she did have conviction unlike most of the
wobbling gutless corn stalks we have now...

+1

+2.
I voted for her because she represented my interests. Unfortunately,
being in office means loosing touch with a constituency. We need her
like again.

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Mr Pounder wrote:
"ARW" wrote in message
Mr Pounder wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On Monday 08 April 2013 13:05 tony sayer wrote in uk.d-i-y:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22067155

Had more balls than any PM since.

I hate the tories, labour and liberal parties with similar
amounts of loathing, but that does not mean I don't respect
her. I liked some of her policies and hated others, but she did
have conviction unlike most of the wobbling gutless corn stalks
we have now...
+1

Steve - I agree with you

+2

Well, **** me rigid!

Sleep with me tonight Adam?

Not unless you are offering better that the 36DD puppies I get to play with.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/2013 16:18, Mark wrote:
I can see why the Poll Tax was popular in some circles though since it
shifted taxation from the rich to the poor.

It shifted taxation away from property owners, and spread it evenly.

Property owners are not always rich, in the sense of having an income to
pay tax with.

There's a case for taxation according to ability to pay;

and there's a case for taxation according to the use made of the services.

Poll tax missed the former, and hit the latter; rates and council tax
hit neither. Perhaps the lib-dems are right about local income tax.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
Mr Pounder wrote:
"ARW" wrote in message
Mr Pounder wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On Monday 08 April 2013 13:05 tony sayer wrote in uk.d-i-y:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22067155

Had more balls than any PM since.

I hate the tories, labour and liberal parties with similar
amounts of loathing, but that does not mean I don't respect
her. I liked some of her policies and hated others, but she did
have conviction unlike most of the wobbling gutless corn stalks
we have now...
+1

Steve - I agree with you

+2

Well, **** me rigid!

Sleep with me tonight Adam?

Not unless you are offering better that the 36DD puppies I get to play
with.

Mrs Pounder has huge boobs.
She said no.
There will be another day.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , ARW adamwadsworth@blueyond
er.co.uk escribió:

She crushed the miners and the Argentinians - and she handbagged the French.
That's not the actions of a weak woman. She would not have take 3 points for
Dennis.

She'd only just croaked when the jokes started:

Jimmy Savile greets Maggie Thatcher at the Pearly Gates.
"What are you up here for then?" asks Savile.
"Shafting miners" she replies.
"Me too" beams Savile.

David Cameron has just sent his official letter to the Thatcher
residence. It starts "I regret to inform you that due to recent events
you now have too many bedrooms."

Thatcher has only been in hell two hours and she's already shut down 3
furnaces.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 16:00:50 +0100, The Other Mike
wrote:

I was thinking that rather than get it back on it's feet it kept it on it's hands and knees.

and handed it over to the Germans, French, Spanish, Americans, Japanese,
Chinese, and the Arabs

Buyer's market - still it's what she said she wanted, stupid cow.

She also set back the cause of feminism by years. A strident auld bag
did nobody any favours, least of all many talented and more
compassionate women who would have done a better job than her. She was
so determined to be /show that she was tough that she out-toughed the
guys, more fool her.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , ARW
adamwadsworth@blueyond er.co.uk escribió:

She crushed the miners and the Argentinians - and she handbagged
the French. That's not the actions of a weak woman. She would not
have take 3 points for Dennis.

She'd only just croaked when the jokes started:

That's how I found out she was dead - I got a text message with the jokes.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 8 Apr 2013 16:24:12 +0100, "Unbeliever"
wrote:

She did a damn site more damage than she did good - may she rot in hell!

By ****; I never thought I'd read something of yours I actually agreed
with.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/2013 18:44, Mr Pounder wrote:
"ARW" wrote in message
Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article , Tim Watts
writes

Had more balls than any PM since.

Only looked like that because she surrounded herself with spineless
yes- men.

She crushed the miners and the Argentinians - and she handbagged the
French. That's not the actions of a weak woman. She would not have take 3
points for Dennis.

+1

And the ****ing dockers with a "job for life".
Basically she tried her best to reduce the amount of ******s.
I'm old enough to remember the report of ****** workers at British Leyland
sleeping after chucking together their rubbish cars.
They had another job to go to.

I was chatting to one of the guys at work today, he hates her and was
glad she was dead, blaming her for the demise of British industry. Then,
without even noticing the hypocrisy, he told me that when he was an
apprentice, almost everyone was in the union, that everyone was entitled
to 13 weeks off ill on full pay and they were encouraged by the union to
take it, to the extent that anyone actually taking time off ill was
blamed for upsetting the rota!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 19:44:04 +0100 Alan wrote :
That was the main problem. Many more people to share the tax burden but
it resulted in bills higher before, even for a single occupancy household.

Not for me it didn't. I was a beneficiary but still think it was a wrong move

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Mr Pounder wrote:
"ARW" wrote in message
Mr Pounder wrote:
"ARW" wrote in message
Mr Pounder wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On Monday 08 April 2013 13:05 tony sayer wrote in uk.d-i-y:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22067155

Had more balls than any PM since.

I hate the tories, labour and liberal parties with similar
amounts of loathing, but that does not mean I don't respect
her. I liked some of her policies and hated others, but she
did have conviction unlike most of the wobbling gutless
corn stalks we have now...
+1

Steve - I agree with you

+2

Well, **** me rigid!

Sleep with me tonight Adam?

Not unless you are offering better that the 36DD puppies I get to
play with.

Mrs Pounder has huge boobs.

Do they receive Radio Luxemburg?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I was thinking that rather than get it back on it's feet it kept it on
it's hands and knees.

and handed it over to the Germans, French, Spanish, Americans, Japanese,
Chinese, and the Arabs

Buyer's market - still it's what she said she wanted, stupid cow.

She also set back the cause of feminism by years. A strident auld bag
did nobody any favours, least of all many talented and more
compassionate women who would have done a better job than her. She was
so determined to be /show that she was tough that she out-toughed the
guys, more fool her.

You're embarrassing yourself. Put the bottle down and go to bed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22067155

Evil auld **** - may she roast.

She may have upset people but, boy, did she put a rotting, continually
union striking Britain back on its feet.

Best Post WW2 PM this country has had ... like Churchill, once the hard
work was done people turned on her.

Not many British PM's are even known outside the country, everyone knew
Margaret Thatcher.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22067155

Evil auld **** - may she roast.

She may have upset people but, boy, did she put a rotting, continually
union striking Britain back on its feet.

Best Post WW2 PM this country has had ... like Churchill, once the hard
work was done people turned on her.

Not many British PM's are even known outside the country, everyone knew
Margaret Thatcher.

You could say much the same about leaders of Zimbabwe, Cambodia, Syria...

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22067155

Evil auld **** - may she roast.

She may have upset people but, boy, did she put a rotting, continually
union striking Britain back on its feet.

Best Post WW2 PM this country has had ... like Churchill, once the hard
work was done people turned on her.

Not many British PM's are even known outside the country, everyone knew
Margaret Thatcher.

You could say much the same about leaders of Zimbabwe, Cambodia, Syria...

Exactly how have the leaders of those countries put Britain back on its
feet?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22067155

Evil auld **** - may she roast.

She may have upset people but, boy, did she put a rotting, continually
union striking Britain back on its feet.

Best Post WW2 PM this country has had ... like Churchill, once the hard
work was done people turned on her.

Not many British PM's are even known outside the country, everyone knew
Margaret Thatcher.

You could say much the same about leaders of Zimbabwe, Cambodia, Syria...

Exactly how have the leaders of those countries put Britain back on its
feet?

Didn't say they did!

But being known outside your country is not always an unalloyed 'good
thing'.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 8 Apr 2013 22:17:06 +0100, "Richard"
wrote:

You're embarrassing yourself. Put the bottle down and go to bed.

Well seen who the closet toerags are around here.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 22:19:29 +0100, Rick Hughes
wrote:

Best Post WW2 PM this country has had ... like Churchill,

He was a ****, too.
A ruthless and cunning *******, who was instrumental in winning a war,
but still a ****.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 16:54:16 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

Should the same apply if I go down the shops and buy a loaf of bread,
then? Sir Costly Cashbag pays twice as much as me and I pay twice as
much the old dear from across the road?

Sir Costly Cashbag has it delivered by Fortnums, you go to Morrisons,
the old dear goes to Aldi. You work it out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 17:16:46 +0100, Hugh Newbury
wrote:

How about:

The Iron Lady -- May she rust in ****.

I can't be arsed now, but if she'd croaked it within a year or two of
being ousted, I'd have flown over to **** on her.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy Champ
wrote:
On 08/04/2013 16:18, Mark wrote:
I can see why the Poll Tax was popular in some circles though since it
shifted taxation from the rich to the poor.

It shifted taxation away from property owners, and spread it evenly.

Evenly meaning regardless of the ability to pay it?

Property owners are not always rich, in the sense of having an income to
pay tax with.

Not many poor people live in an expensive house. And of those that did,
most were old still living in the family home, and a rate rebate could
take care of that, as it did.

There's a case for taxation according to ability to pay;

Which the poll tax in essence didn't.

and there's a case for taxation according to the use made of the
services.

Really? So those with no children shouldn't pay for education of other's
kids? etc?

Poll tax missed the former, and hit the latter; rates and council tax
hit neither. Perhaps the lib-dems are right about local income tax.

It would be a fairer way. But for some reason indirect taxation seems to
be preferred to direct.

--
*Plagiarism saves time *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
SteveW wrote:
Then, without even noticing the hypocrisy, he told me that when he was
an apprentice, almost everyone was in the union, that everyone was
entitled to 13 weeks off ill on full pay and they were encouraged by
the union to take it, to the extent that anyone actually taking time
off ill was blamed for upsetting the rota!

Any employer who allowed that deserved to go out of business. Of course
stories like that abound, but are more often than not proved false.

--
*When did my wild oats turn to prunes and all bran?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22067155

Evil auld **** - may she roast.

She may have upset people but, boy, did she put a rotting, continually
union striking Britain back on its feet.

Best Post WW2 PM this country has had ... like Churchill, once the hard
work was done people turned on her.

Not many British PM's are even known outside the country, everyone knew
Margaret Thatcher.

Everyone knew Hitler and Stalin too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9/04/2013 12:24 a.m., Tim Watts wrote:
On Monday 08 April 2013 13:05 tony sayer wrote in uk.d-i-y:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22067155

Had more balls than any PM since.

If anyone showed how stupid it is to associate courage with possession
of testicles, it's Thatcher.

Margaret Drabble D.M. Procida UK diy 5 April 23rd 09 09:17 AM
Italian Greaseballs, margaret irritates the card beside hers and smartly cleans, Sly Sly Headcase. Brian Henderson Woodworking 0 May 20th 06 01:46 AM